Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts w/ Blu-ray Exclusive Figure (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Life of Pi 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Still Alice (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rating (after seeing the movie)
One Star 0 0%
Two Stars 3 17.65%
Three Stars 4 23.53%
Four Stars 7 41.18%
Five Stars 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #41

Jul 2012
Texas, USA

Lana Del Rey has two songs for the movie called 'Big Eyes' and 'I Can Fly'.

Quote:
A Weinstein Company rep says the studio hasn't made any Oscar-season determination about whether to emphasize "Big Eyes," the title tune that prominently appears mid-movie, or "I Can Fly," which runs over the end credits. Both songs were clearly written from the psychologically evolving viewpoint of the movie's heroine, Margaret Keane -- a possible plus for voters who, as Time magazine put it, "brutally snubbed" Del Rey's less obviously endemic contribution to The Great Gatsby, “Young and Beautiful,” early this year.
Apparently they might push the 'Big Eyes' song for an Oscar.

You can listen to them here:

Last edited by Panemlights; 12-20-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Well, I am interested in seeing Burton do something different and having the writers of Ed Wood doing the script is a big plus, but this particular story doesn't give me high hopes. I'll reserve judgement for the final product, but my expectations are low at this point.
I don't have time for this. I've got to go pick a fight with a muscular stranger!
Thanks given by:
rubystone356 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Franklin, WI
Send a message via AIM to Britnasty

4/5.

A fully enjoyable film. Amy and Christoph were excellent in their roles.

While it lagged in certain parts, I was definitely interested the length of the film. I can see Amy squeaking an Oscar nom, same for Christoph, as she is really strong.

The film itself had some dumb moments but that was the only drag.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #44
Power Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post
Well, I am interested in seeing Burton do something different and having the writers of Ed Wood doing the script is a big plus, but this particular story doesn't give me high hopes. I'll reserve judgement for the final product, but my expectations are low at this point.
a very good point.

this is such a different film for tim burton. in fact you will be thinking? am I watching a tim burton movie, because it certainly does not feel like it. elfman score is also very different. I give Burton alot of credit for doing that. the acting by the two leads is just great. expect Oscar talk for Amy. i wish tim was getting some buzz, the way that it works out he is more invisible this time around. a least Keaton is getting some great buzz for birdman.

the real question is how is it compared to his other classics like say ed wood and big fish. while very different from both of those films. I enjoyed it more then both as well.

Jacob
My ALL TIME FAVORITE FILMS:

1) Superman: The Movie (1978) 2) The Abyss (1989) 3) Batman (1989) 4) Star Wars (1977) 5) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
6) The Fly (1986) 7) Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring (2001) 8) Superman 2/Donner Cut (2006) 9) Batman Returns (1992) 10) Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981)
Old 12-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #45
Power Member

Jul 2014

Tim Burton has been one of those directors that has stuck around for longer than he should. He had a great run in the late 80s and 90s, but once we hit the 2000s, his movies were more misses than hits. The biggest issue is that his movies are all the same. Well Big Eyes has come out and thankfully it is something far different from what Burton has given us in recent years, but it is still far from spectacular. The movie does a really good job in its pacing, and its story is pretty good, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. The biggest issue with the movie is in Christolph Waltz. He is a fantastic actor, but here he just feels out of place. It seems like he wanted to play the character eccentric like his characters of the past, but because he had to play it like a real person, he was denied to be himself. As such, his talents are not only wasted, but they bring the movie done quite a bit. Amy Adams does do a great job as Margaret though and she does show the passion for the person she is portraying. The ending does seem a little abrupt though, but whatever. It is far from being anything horrible from Burton, but it isn't a movie that can restore my faith in the once grandiose director. Overall, I give it a 6/10 stars. If you are a Burton fan, this movie is a good one time watch. If you want to see a movie based on a real person that I don't think has ever been touched upon before, it is also a good movie to check out. If you don't care about either of those, don't even waste your time with it.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #46

Dec 2009
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panemlights View Post
Lana Del Rey has two songs for the movie called 'Big Eyes' and 'I Can Fly'.

Apparently they might push the 'Big Eyes' song for an Oscar.

You can listen to them here:
Lana Del Rey - Big Eyes (Official Audio) - YouTube

Lana Del Rey - I Can Fly (Official Audio) - YouTube
I highly hope they push for "I Can Fly." I'm drawn more to it; the imagery and diction is just magical.
"God is in the rain."
Old 12-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

I think the music style from Lana fits perfectly in a movie like this.

I still need to see this.
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
Old 12-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #48

Aug 2014
Lake Mary, FL

Not a bad movie, but not a good one either. Amy Adams is always a pleasure to watch but the movie itself could have been so much more.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:46 AM   #49

Dec 2012

Saw it yesterday...I liked it quite a bit. Really enjoyed the 60's vibe. Amy Adams was fantastic. It dragged a bit toward the end, and Christoph Waltz chews the scenery quite a bit, might have been miscast in this.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #50
Power Member

Dec 2009
Maryland
Smile

It does not eclipse my favorite Tim Burton films (Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow), but Big Eyes is an interesting, well-crafted entry in his distinctive oeuvre. He tells the true story of Margaret (Amy Adams), a California housewife and artist who flees an abusive suburban home life and moves with her daughter to San Francisco. Isolated in and a bit intimidated by the city, she falls under the spell of Walter Keane (Christoph Waltz), a shrewdly charismatic realtor and self-proclaimed "Sunday painter." Walter sees the monetary promise in unusual, almost Gothic paintings Margaret does of large- and sad-eyed waifs and slowly convinces her to sell them under his name because he is a superior salesman and showman and a man. Despite her ethical concerns, particularly when the scheme extends to lying to her daughter, Margaret agrees and quietly watches from a slight distance as Walter turns himself into an art-world novelty and sensation using her art, but how long can she remain silent?

In many ways, theirs is a disturbing story of deceit, gender constriction, and mental spousal abuse, but Burton never tries very hard to tug viewers' heartstrings. He plays his hand in a rather more playful, albeit still sensitive way, crafting a stranger-than-fiction caper confection rather than an overtly heavy experience. He clearly relishes rendering a nostalgic, slightly heightened vision of urban and suburban California in the 1950s and early '60s. Almost every color pops. He also awards his divergent and gifted leads a significant amount of room to play and generate magic and friction: Amy Adams' pensive acquiescence is sharply contrasted with Christoph Waltz's oily, ingratiating con-artist magnetism. They are both in top form, and there are a few amusing peripheral performances, too, including the incomparable Terence Stamp as an icily acidic art critic with zero tolerance for what he regards as over-hyped kitsch. And who has an icier stare than Stamp? Entertaining and often hilarious as it is, the film does have a notable flaw: Burton either cannot or will not dive very deeply into the soul of Margaret Keane. Of course, it is not hard to sympathize with her as inhabited by the beautiful and soulful Adams, but there are lingering questions the film should have addressed with greater clarity, including her initial inspiration for the iconic large-eyed waifs (they seem to emanate from an intense and perhaps painful corner of her mind) and the nuances of her midlife embrace of the Jehovah's Witnesses, a conversion broadly portrayed as giving her the overdue strength to stand up for herself as an artist and as a woman, in a court of law and otherwise.

B+
top fifteen directors of all-time

1. Peter Weir - 2. David Lean - 3. Michael Mann - 4. Neil Jordan - 5. Joe Wright - 6. Jane Campion - 7. Wong Kar-wai - 8. Gus Van Sant - 9. Jim Sheridan - 10. Eric Rohmer - 11. Woody Allen - 12. Terry Gilliam - 13. James Ivory - 14. Jean-Pierre Melville - 15. Roberto Rossellini
Old 12-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #51

Jan 2013
IL

I really wanted this to be a return to form for Tim Burton, and there's nothing offensively bad here, but just feels all a bit undercooked. Like a tv movie worthy script with a A-list production values. The use of color in the cinematography, art direction, and costumes in the recreation of 1950s/1960s northern California was to die for.

This could have been a great feminist indictment of the gender politics of the time period, but its world view is a little too small. Worth seeing for Amy Adams fans because she delivers yet another thoughtful, great performance.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #52

Apr 2014

Really enjoyed this. Interesting and with a subject right up my street. Great final film to close out the year for me.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarinsteven View Post
I really wanted this to be a return to form for Tim Burton, and there's nothing offensively bad here, but just feels all a bit undercooked. Like a tv movie worthy script with a A-list production values. The use of color in the cinematography, art direction, and costumes in the recreation of 1950s/1960s northern California was to die for.

This could have been a great feminist indictment of the gender politics of the time period, but its world view is a little too small. Worth seeing for Amy Adams fans because she delivers yet another thoughtful, great performance.
Those two elements alone make me want to see it, undercooked or not.
MOST ANTICIPATED: Knight of Cups, Mockingjay2, Mistress America, Carol, Neon Demon, Personal Shopper, Macbeth, The Lobster, Joy, Steve Jobs, Amy, Dark Places, The Assassin
Old 12-31-2014, 11:57 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Utah

My Review

Quote:
Probably the most low key Burton-esque film he has done. His sense of style still shows through though. Within the first ten minutes, from the very plain 50's suburban neighborhood to the very painterly-like landscape shot of Margaret and her daughter driving up the hill, you know it's a Burton film.
It may not be the most exciting or entertaining biopic, but it presents the always important social commentary, it goes after, with a colorful and satisfying vision. Sometimes there is a real satisfaction with an end that doesn't bring it's hero down to the lowest common denominator in order to get there. That sometimes all it takes is to finally speak up.
Amy Adams is great as always, as is Waltz in his very humorous showcase at the courtroom scene in the final act. While not lavish in typical Burton style, it is still a beautifully setup little drama that is more easygoing and humorous than most biopics. It's still acted with on point theatrics, but in a less melodramatic fashion. You're more keen to strike a smile and chuckle than you are to ever wipe a tear. And with a genre and story that would tell a filmmaker to try and evoke the opposite out of the audience, Burton effortlessly aims to not. Which is certainly refreshing.
4.5/5
My Top 20 Films
1. Spirited Away 2. Princess Mononoke 3. Red Cliff 4. Battle Royale 5. The Dark Knight 6. Beauty and the Beast (1991) 7. Jurassic Park 8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) 9. Memories of Murder 10. Seven Samurai 11. Finding Nemo 12. Vertigo 13. Inception 14. Casablanca 15. My Neighbor Totoro 16. The Lion King 17. A Bittersweet Life 18. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 19. Life Is Beautiful 20. Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind
Old 01-05-2015, 01:45 AM   #55

Mar 2014

The art direction and costume design was good, but besides that I thought this was pretty awful. Could honestly be one of the worst films of 2014. Maybe it's because I'm already not a huge fan of Burton (aside from the Batman films and Ed Wood) but I didn't like this movie. I thought it was very poorly written, un-engaging, anti-climatic,and no subtlety whatsoever to a story that should rely on it. All of the characters are one dimensional, there are a few characters that are not only uninteresting, but have no purpose whatsoever to the story (for example Jason Schwartzman's character keeps showing up, but has only one scene with one of the main characters. Every other scene with him is random and just has him showing up and saying things that do nothing for the story), and with the exception of Amy Adams, who was just average in this, the acting in the film is just awful. Christoph Waltz gives one of the most over-the-top, ridiculously bad performances I've seen in a long time. I was shocked at how terrible he was in this, seriously razzie worthy stuff. I didn't believe his character for one second, and when he tries to be threatening in this he just comes off as humorous. There is a scene where Waltz attempts to stab a man with a fork (which is played straight as a serious scene) but just comes off as hilarious. I keep talking about Waltz but I can't tell you how much he ruined this for me. He's one of the most irritating characters I've seen in a film in a long time. He repeats so much of the same dialogue, is constantly talking and shouting (everytime which comes off as funny since Waltz is so bad in this) and comes off as just plain annoying. This is someone who is a HUGE Waltz fan. The only thing that saves this from being a total disaster is the story, which was genuinely interesting, and I feel that with another director it could have been a potentially great movie. 1.8/5
Favorite movies: 1.Goodfellas 2.Pulp Fiction 3.Boogie Nights 4.a Clockwork Orange 5.Taxi Driver 6.The Social Network 7.The Godfather Part II 8.Punch-Drunk Love 9.Fargo 10.Good Will Hunting 11.Inglourious Basterds 12.Psycho 13.American Beauty 14.The Departed 15.On The Waterfront 16.City of God 17.Lawrence of Arabia 18.The Godfather 19.American Hustle 20. Django Unchained
Old 01-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #56
Expert Member

Jan 2013
Canada

Big Surprise hehe.
8/10 - I really enjoyed this. One of his best films since Big Fish.

Beautifully shot, well acted by Amy Adams & Christoph Waltz was so good but really animated.

Beautiful song as well at the end.
I own 1,196 Movies
Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #57
Expert Member

Jan 2013
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbercash View Post
The art direction and costume design was good, but besides that I thought this was pretty awful. Could honestly be one of the worst films of 2014. Maybe it's because I'm already not a huge fan of Burton (aside from the Batman films and Ed Wood) but I didn't like this movie. I thought it was very poorly written, un-engaging, anti-climatic,and no subtlety whatsoever to a story that should rely on it. All of the characters are one dimensional, there are a few characters that are not only uninteresting, but have no purpose whatsoever to the story (for example Jason Schwartzman's character keeps showing up, but has only one scene with one of the main characters. Every other scene with him is random and just has him showing up and saying things that do nothing for the story), and with the exception of Amy Adams, who was just average in this, the acting in the film is just awful. Christoph Waltz gives one of the most over-the-top, ridiculously bad performances I've seen in a long time. I was shocked at how terrible he was in this, seriously razzie worthy stuff. I didn't believe his character for one second, and when he tries to be threatening in this he just comes off as humorous. There is a scene where Waltz attempts to stab a man with a fork (which is played straight as a serious scene) but just comes off as hilarious. I keep talking about Waltz but I can't tell you how much he ruined this for me. He's one of the most irritating characters I've seen in a film in a long time. He repeats so much of the same dialogue, is constantly talking and shouting (everytime which comes off as funny since Waltz is so bad in this) and comes off as just plain annoying. This is someone who is a HUGE Waltz fan. The only thing that saves this from being a total disaster is the story, which was genuinely interesting, and I feel that with another director it could have been a potentially great movie. 1.8/5
WTF!!! HAHAH jk

Thats shitty you didn't enjoy it. Well can't like everything.
I own 1,196 Movies
Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #58

Jul 2012
Texas, USA

Actually they had to tone down Waltz's character because the guy was literally wild, especially in court
Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Just saw this. Just a good plain film. Nothing bad or nothing special - just a basic overall good flick.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies