Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Die Hard 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thor: Ragnarok 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.49

It 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
5 hrs ago
The Shape of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.41

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Default Apple TV 4k vs Nvidia Shield TV

I was wondering if anyone here owns both an Apple TV 4k and a Nvidia Shield TV and which one they prefer?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

Aug 2009

How many streaming devices did you tried out and returned? You mentioned that you tried out the Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield TV, ATV4k, the Sony X800 4k UHD blu-ray player (only for streaming purposes). All of them you said have issues. What will be next for you, a PS4 Pro or a Xbox One X, both only for streaming purposes.

You use to own a Nvidia Shield TV and took it back due to some issues that you had with it. The latest Nvidia Shield TVs still have issues such as movie frame skipping in both 24 fps and 23.976 fps. Its bad at upscaling. It does not have match video content feature like the ATV4k. Its periodically slow with the UI gui and Kodi and Plex. Also it has random audio dropouts.

I'm wondering if you got rid of your ATV4k due to really minor issues it has. If you did that, it was a bad mistake, even though you had a lot of movies in your iTunes collection.

Out of all the streaming devices, the ATV4k is the most reliable one, even though it has a few minor issues.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:27 AM   #3
Expert Member

Oct 2008

I'm surprised no one else is answering so far.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #4

Aug 2013
Seattle, WA

Echo everything Vor4 said below, I've owned both (and really wanted to like the Shield since it can stream my PC games as well) but ATV is just more solid performance wise as well as the 3rd party apps being kept up to date more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor4 View Post
How many streaming devices did you tried out and returned? You mentioned that you tried out the Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield TV, ATV4k, the Sony X800 4k UHD blu-ray player (only for streaming purposes). All of them you said have issues. What will be next for you, a PS4 Pro or a Xbox One X, both only for streaming purposes.

You use to own a Nvidia Shield TV and took it back due to some issues that you had with it. The latest Nvidia Shield TVs still have issues such as movie frame skipping in both 24 fps and 23.976 fps. Its bad at upscaling. It does not have match video content feature like the ATV4k. Its periodically slow with the UI gui and Kodi and Plex. Also it has random audio dropouts.

I'm wondering if you got rid of your ATV4k due to really minor issues it has. If you did that, it was a bad mistake, even though you had a lot of movies in your iTunes collection.

Out of all the streaming devices, the ATV4k is the most reliable one, even though it has a few minor issues.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Had both, sold on the Shield TV and don't regret it for a second.

Apple TV all the way.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology