Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Blu-ray)
$17.07
Song to Song 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Martian 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.93
They Live by Night (Blu-ray)
$16.22
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.55
Justice League Unlimited: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.84
Tampopo (Blu-ray)
$19.77
Bad Day at Black Rock (Blu-ray)
$10.45
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Blu-ray)
$18.91
Evil Ed (Blu-ray)
$15.31
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.09
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$26.36
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #921
Banned

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Exactly. The murders never happen because of the pre-crime unit. But the names always appear on the balls because the crimes would occur if the pre-crime unit didn't prevent it. How is Anderton any different?
Unless I'm misinterpreting your answer, that's exactly what I'm asking. Exactly. How was Anderson any different, if he wasn't going to commit the murder anyway without the intervention of anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Still would have loved this movie way more if it ended with Cruise holding a gun on you-know-who and smash to credits. Everything after that is a disappointment compared to what that ending could have been.
You mean he fulfills the "prophecy" and kills Crowe? Absolutely, perfect way to end it. Unless you meant the big-bad at the end, the twist was slightly clever, but not worth losing how great it would be if it ended just as he fulfills his own destiny of murder BECAUSE he knew about it beforehand.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #922
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
You mean he fulfills the "prophecy" and kills Crowe? Absolutely, perfect way to end it. Unless you meant the big-bad at the end, the twist was slightly clever, but not worth losing how great it would be if it ended just as he fulfills his own destiny of murder BECAUSE he knew about it beforehand.
Yeah the former, when he sees the photos and Crowe comes in. Focus on the tension, show the gun, his finger is trembling on the trigger, cut to credits. That would have been amazing. It's just such a better movie in my head I find it hard to accept everything after it!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #923
Banned

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yeah the former, when he sees the photos and Crowe comes in. Focus on the tension, show the gun, his finger is trembling on the trigger, cut to credits. That would have been amazing. It's just such a better movie in my head I find it hard to accept everything after it!
Fortunately, I guess you can just turn the movie off at that point and it still works. I do kind of like the twist they ended up going with, but it was needlessly convoluted, and Tom still never really murdered Crowe which leads me to wonder, again, why he was named as a murderer by the pre-cogs in the first place. I get Spielberg is trying to say we all have free will and a choice but it contradicted his own firm plot rules.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #924
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
Fortunately, I guess you can just turn the movie off at that point and it still works. I do kind of like the twist they ended up going with, but it was needlessly convoluted, and Tom still never really murdered Crowe which leads me to wonder, again, why he was named as a murderer by the pre-cogs in the first place. I get Spielberg is trying to say we all have free will and a choice but it contradicted his own firm plot rules.
Uuummmmm... the whole point of a major plot point is to tell us that the pre-cogs aren't always correct. So, it is entirely possible that it was the same for John Anderton. The pre-cogs vision of Anderton's murderous actions were not guaranteed to come true.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Thanks given by:
jd_from_da_80s (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #925
Power Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Uuummmmm... the whole point of a major plot point is to tell us that the pre-cogs aren't always correct. So, it is entirely possible that it was the same for John Anderton. The pre-cogs vision of Anderton's murderous actions were not guaranteed to come true.
That's the movie we're left with, yes. The source material doesn't take a stance on that. It lets you decide whether its fate or freewill based on what you bring to the table. It doesn't take a stand and lead its audience by the nose to a "the pre-cogs were wrong once so back to square one" ending. It keeps the focus on the individual, his thoughts and actions, not the big conspiracy.

But it's a great movie as it is. Very crowd pleasing, visually confident and its still full of cool ideas to ponder. Those of us who don't love final act just feel it could have been as transcendent as something like Blade Runner had the filmmakers not felt compelled to dish out so much easy justice at the end.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #926
Special Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
Those of us who don't love final act just feel it could have been as transcendent as something like Blade Runner had the filmmakers not felt compelled to dish out so much easy justice at the end.
Funny. Many years ago I thought it would've been a better movie if the entire "Anne Lively" subplot was abandoned, and instead of Anderton saying those things about "killing me proves the system works but if not then the system ends" to Lamar over the headset, he's saying it to himself in his head during those intense moments where he's beating the crap outta Leo Crow. Then after he tells him his rights "If you can't afford an attorney...we will appoint one". Cut to black and then show the ending with Tom's V.O about the end of pre-crime and the alleged murderers being freed.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #927
Power Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
Funny. Many years ago I thought it would've been a better movie if the entire "Anne Lively" subplot was abandoned, and instead of Anderton saying those things about "killing me proves the system works but if not then the system ends" to Lamar over the headset, he's saying it to himself in his head during those intense moments where he's beating the crap outta Leo Crow. Then after he tells him his rights "If you can't afford an attorney...we will appoint one". Cut to black and then show the ending with Tom's V.O about the end of pre-crime and the alleged murderers being freed.
That would save us some time, but is essentially the same ending as the release version. Basically, as soon as we see or hear about the decision that Anderton makes, we the audience are let off the hook for having to make it ourselves. But hey, that open ended kind of thing may not be the type of movie a big studio wants to drop 120 million dollars on either, I get it.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #928

Nov 2012
PITTSBURGH PA

Any word on a remaster with a UHD as well?
Panasonic BDT 460 | JVC RS600 | Stewart ST 100 [2.35] | Marantz AV7005 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut B6 | Focal CMS Sub
Old 12-19-2016, 01:47 AM   #929
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
Any word on a remaster with a UHD as well?
No, but we might see it for 2017 as it's the 15th anniversary. I just saw an interview a few weeks ago with Colin Ferrell where he said it was one of his favorite film making experiences.
"Now myself, I don't take any chances. I talk to Muhammad, Buddha, Mr. Jesus H. Christ, and any other religious honchos I can come up with."
Digital Copies for Sale My HD DVD Collection My Motion Picture Collection
4K UHDs Superior International U.S. 7.1 U.S. Slipcovers World Atmos World Native 3D World OOP

Last edited by HD Goofnut; 12-19-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #930
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
No, but we might see it for 2017 as it's the 15th anniversary. I just saw an interview a few weeks ago with Colin Ferrell where he said it was one his favorite film making experiences.
With all due, HDG, although these anniversaries may mean something to us enthusiasts, I think the degree to which they are the lingua franca in home vid departments for anything other than the classics (e.g., the 50th anni Guess Who's Coming To Dinner streeting from Sony next spring despite their having licensed it to Twilight Time less than three years ago) is waning.

I think this is even more the case for Paramount (which unfortunately has the home vid rights to a lot of these DW titles), perhaps the worst studio of the big six in terms of catalog support. I'm not holding my breath to see if a new format they probably wish didn't even exist is going to occasion some sea change in their catalog support.

(We still don't even have Par's Best Picture winner Ordinary People on 1080 BD.)

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 12-19-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #931
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I recall this looking amazing so I don't really need a remaster. Granted the last time I watched it was on my older, smaller television. Either way a UHD would be nice, this is definitely a movie I would upgrade, but don't get your hopes up with Paramount.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #932
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
With all due, HDG, although these anniversaries may mean something to us enthusiasts, I think the degree to which they are the lingua franca in home vid departments for anything other than the classics (e.g., the 50th anni Guess Who's Coming To Dinner streeting from Sony next spring despite their having licensed it to Twilight Time less than three years ago) is waning.

I think this is even more the case for Paramount (which unfortunately has the home vid rights to a lot of these DW titles), perhaps the worst studio of the big six in terms of catalog support. I'm not holding my breath to see if a new format they probably wish didn't even exist is going to occasion some sea change in their catalog support.

(We still don't even have Par's Best Picture winner Ordinary People on 1080 BD.)
Normally I'd agree with you, but this is a Steven Spielberg film. If it was a lesser director I wouldn't hope for a new master.
"Now myself, I don't take any chances. I talk to Muhammad, Buddha, Mr. Jesus H. Christ, and any other religious honchos I can come up with."
4K UHDs Superior International U.S. 7.1 U.S. Slipcovers World Atmos World Native 3D World OOP
Old 12-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #933
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Los Angeles

Quote:
No, but we might see it for 2017 as it's the 15th anniversary. I just saw an interview a few weeks ago with Colin Ferrell where he said it was one his favorite film making experiences.
Working with Spielberg tends to be high on most people's lists, I imagine
Top 20 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | Die Hard | Fargo | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2017 Movie Ratings | Samsung 40" KU6290 TV, UBD-K8500 Player, Rocketfish Premium Certified HDMIs, Sony STR-DH550 Receiver, Logitech z506 5.1 Speaker System
Old 12-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #934
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Working with Spielberg tends to be high on most people's lists, I imagine
Absolutely. I always found Farrell to be great in Minority Report (even though Von Sydow steals the show) and In Bruges.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #935
Expert Member

Oct 2007
Quincy, MA

Quote:
Normally I'd agree with you, but this is a Steven Spielberg film. If it was a lesser director I wouldn't hope for a new master.
The current master is 4K per the original article.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3398

Quote:
LaserPacific Media Corporation, a Los Angeles post production company, has built a new end-to-end 4K workflow for mastering and re-mastering feature films. The company is currently preparing a "true and complete 4K master" of the Steven Spielberg film 'Minority Report' for Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox for release on Blu-ray next year.

LaserPacific's 4K workflow is based on FilmLight's Baselight EIGHT colour grading system and also features FilmLight's Northlight scanner. In order to handle 4K media efficiently, the Baselight EIGHT installation includes a massive 96 TB of local storage. LaserPacific took delivery of its Baselight in January and began using it for mastering projects in June. 'Minority Report' is the first film that LaserPacific is grading entirely in 4K.

For "Minority Report", the entire film was scanned 6K to 4K on Northlight and is now being graded in 4K on Baselight. Additionally, LaserPacific is using a combination of off-the-shelf and proprietary tools to perform dust and scratch removal and other restoration processes at 4K resolution.

"Minority Report is a true 4K master. We scanned to 4K, 4K goes to Baselight-everything is done with 4K files," noted Levinson. "When we do the final render, it will be straight 4K to HD. There are no intermediate steps. No proxies."

While 4K mastering will surely yield spectacular results for home theatre, LaserPacific believes that the high resolution medium will have an even greater impact as an archival tool. The company expects to remaster films in 4K as part of a process of creating new film negatives in order to preserve films in an optimal state for decades to come. LaserPacific has coined the term "DI Restoration" to describe this process.

"Our goal is to be able to scan negatives in whatever format and condition, restore them through a 4K restoration process and ultimately use the new 4K master to output a brand new negative," explained Ron Burdett, general manager of LaserPacific's film mastering department. Burdett added that he believes 4K will be the standard mastering medium for A- list, film-originated features within a few years.

Hollywood film studios are showing increasing interest in 4K mastering both as a way to create the highest quality product for home theatre release and for archival purposes. The challenge for post houses seeking to tap into this market has been to build a workflow capable of processing 4K media in a time- and cost-effective manner.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #936
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
The current master is 4K per the original article.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3398
That's great. That makes a UHD release more likely.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #937
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Los Angeles

Quote:
Absolutely. I always found Farrell to be great in Minority Report (even though Von Sydow steals the show) and In Bruges.
He's always been a quality character actor, aside from a few missteps which he readily admits to in interviews (*cough* Alexander *cough*).
Top 20 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | Die Hard | Fargo | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2017 Movie Ratings | Samsung 40" KU6290 TV, UBD-K8500 Player, Rocketfish Premium Certified HDMIs, Sony STR-DH550 Receiver, Logitech z506 5.1 Speaker System
Old 12-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #938
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
He's always been a quality character actor, aside from a few missteps which he readily admits to in interviews (*cough* Alexander *cough*).
Do you have a link to (an) interview in which CF is critical of his work in/the movie Alexander? Would like to read that.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #939
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
There have been numerous examples in recent years of this notion that anything and everything Spielberg means money/"yes"/it will be on BD next Tuesday. It's just not true any longer in business circles regardless of how much we as fans of his believe to the contrary. From Reliance cutting his $1B credit line in half to The BFG grossing only $55M.

Quote:
That's great. That makes a UHD release more likely.
The article itself points to other concerns.

Quote:
While 4K mastering will surely yield spectacular results for home theatre, LaserPacific believes that the high resolution medium will have an even greater impact as an archival tool.
Sony has been archiving at 4k for years. That unfortunately has not meant that everything they've so archived has been an automatic BD release, otherwise Twilight Time wouldn't be getting licensed many of those titles--from Yentl to Sleepless In Seattle to Philadelphia.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #940
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Do you have a link to (an) interview in which CF is critical of his work in/the movie Alexander? Would like to read that.
Not so much critical of his own work, just that he acknowledges the movie didn't work and that it was a learning experience for him to receive such harsh criticism from the media and fans. He goes into a bit during his DP/30 interview for The Lobster IIRC.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America