Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Girlfriend Experience: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Legend of Tarzan 3D (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #921
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Exactly. The murders never happen because of the pre-crime unit. But the names always appear on the balls because the crimes would occur if the pre-crime unit didn't prevent it. How is Anderton any different?
Unless I'm misinterpreting your answer, that's exactly what I'm asking. Exactly. How was Anderson any different, if he wasn't going to commit the murder anyway without the intervention of anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Still would have loved this movie way more if it ended with Cruise holding a gun on you-know-who and smash to credits. Everything after that is a disappointment compared to what that ending could have been.
You mean he fulfills the "prophecy" and kills Crowe? Absolutely, perfect way to end it. Unless you meant the big-bad at the end, the twist was slightly clever, but not worth losing how great it would be if it ended just as he fulfills his own destiny of murder BECAUSE he knew about it beforehand.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #922
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
You mean he fulfills the "prophecy" and kills Crowe? Absolutely, perfect way to end it. Unless you meant the big-bad at the end, the twist was slightly clever, but not worth losing how great it would be if it ended just as he fulfills his own destiny of murder BECAUSE he knew about it beforehand.
Yeah the former, when he sees the photos and Crowe comes in. Focus on the tension, show the gun, his finger is trembling on the trigger, cut to credits. That would have been amazing. It's just such a better movie in my head I find it hard to accept everything after it!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #923
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yeah the former, when he sees the photos and Crowe comes in. Focus on the tension, show the gun, his finger is trembling on the trigger, cut to credits. That would have been amazing. It's just such a better movie in my head I find it hard to accept everything after it!
Fortunately, I guess you can just turn the movie off at that point and it still works. I do kind of like the twist they ended up going with, but it was needlessly convoluted, and Tom still never really murdered Crowe which leads me to wonder, again, why he was named as a murderer by the pre-cogs in the first place. I get Spielberg is trying to say we all have free will and a choice but it contradicted his own firm plot rules.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #924
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
Fortunately, I guess you can just turn the movie off at that point and it still works. I do kind of like the twist they ended up going with, but it was needlessly convoluted, and Tom still never really murdered Crowe which leads me to wonder, again, why he was named as a murderer by the pre-cogs in the first place. I get Spielberg is trying to say we all have free will and a choice but it contradicted his own firm plot rules.
Uuummmmm... the whole point of a major plot point is to tell us that the pre-cogs aren't always correct. So, it is entirely possible that it was the same for John Anderton. The pre-cogs vision of Anderton's murderous actions were not guaranteed to come true.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Thanks given by:
jd_from_da_80s (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #925
Special Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Uuummmmm... the whole point of a major plot point is to tell us that the pre-cogs aren't always correct. So, it is entirely possible that it was the same for John Anderton. The pre-cogs vision of Anderton's murderous actions were not guaranteed to come true.
That's the movie we're left with, yes. The source material doesn't take a stance on that. It lets you decide whether its fate or freewill based on what you bring to the table. It doesn't take a stand and lead its audience by the nose to a "the pre-cogs were wrong once so back to square one" ending. It keeps the focus on the individual, his thoughts and actions, not the big conspiracy.

But it's a great movie as it is. Very crowd pleasing, visually confident and its still full of cool ideas to ponder. Those of us who don't love final act just feel it could have been as transcendent as something like Blade Runner had the filmmakers not felt compelled to dish out so much easy justice at the end.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #926
Special Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
Those of us who don't love final act just feel it could have been as transcendent as something like Blade Runner had the filmmakers not felt compelled to dish out so much easy justice at the end.
Funny. Many years ago I thought it would've been a better movie if the entire "Anne Lively" subplot was abandoned, and instead of Anderton saying those things about "killing me proves the system works but if not then the system ends" to Lamar over the headset, he's saying it to himself in his head during those intense moments where he's beating the crap outta Leo Crow. Then after he tells him his rights "If you can't afford an attorney...we will appoint one". Cut to black and then show the ending with Tom's V.O about the end of pre-crime and the alleged murderers being freed.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #927
Special Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
Funny. Many years ago I thought it would've been a better movie if the entire "Anne Lively" subplot was abandoned, and instead of Anderton saying those things about "killing me proves the system works but if not then the system ends" to Lamar over the headset, he's saying it to himself in his head during those intense moments where he's beating the crap outta Leo Crow. Then after he tells him his rights "If you can't afford an attorney...we will appoint one". Cut to black and then show the ending with Tom's V.O about the end of pre-crime and the alleged murderers being freed.
That would save us some time, but is essentially the same ending as the release version. Basically, as soon as we see or hear about the decision that Anderton makes, we the audience are let off the hook for having to make it ourselves. But hey, that open ended kind of thing may not be the type of movie a big studio wants to drop 120 million dollars on either, I get it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America