Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Girlfriend Experience: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Legend of Tarzan 3D (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #921
blurayfriend blurayfriend is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
blurayfriend's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
587
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Exactly. The murders never happen because of the pre-crime unit. But the names always appear on the balls because the crimes would occur if the pre-crime unit didn't prevent it. How is Anderton any different?
Unless I'm misinterpreting your answer, that's exactly what I'm asking. Exactly. How was Anderson any different, if he wasn't going to commit the murder anyway without the intervention of anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Still would have loved this movie way more if it ended with Cruise holding a gun on you-know-who and smash to credits. Everything after that is a disappointment compared to what that ending could have been.
You mean he fulfills the "prophecy" and kills Crowe? Absolutely, perfect way to end it. Unless you meant the big-bad at the end, the twist was slightly clever, but not worth losing how great it would be if it ended just as he fulfills his own destiny of murder BECAUSE he knew about it beforehand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #922
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1093
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
You mean he fulfills the "prophecy" and kills Crowe? Absolutely, perfect way to end it. Unless you meant the big-bad at the end, the twist was slightly clever, but not worth losing how great it would be if it ended just as he fulfills his own destiny of murder BECAUSE he knew about it beforehand.
Yeah the former, when he sees the photos and Crowe comes in. Focus on the tension, show the gun, his finger is trembling on the trigger, cut to credits. That would have been amazing. It's just such a better movie in my head I find it hard to accept everything after it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #923
blurayfriend blurayfriend is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
blurayfriend's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
587
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yeah the former, when he sees the photos and Crowe comes in. Focus on the tension, show the gun, his finger is trembling on the trigger, cut to credits. That would have been amazing. It's just such a better movie in my head I find it hard to accept everything after it!
Fortunately, I guess you can just turn the movie off at that point and it still works. I do kind of like the twist they ended up going with, but it was needlessly convoluted, and Tom still never really murdered Crowe which leads me to wonder, again, why he was named as a murderer by the pre-cogs in the first place. I get Spielberg is trying to say we all have free will and a choice but it contradicted his own firm plot rules.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #924
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
547
3
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
Fortunately, I guess you can just turn the movie off at that point and it still works. I do kind of like the twist they ended up going with, but it was needlessly convoluted, and Tom still never really murdered Crowe which leads me to wonder, again, why he was named as a murderer by the pre-cogs in the first place. I get Spielberg is trying to say we all have free will and a choice but it contradicted his own firm plot rules.
Uuummmmm... the whole point of a major plot point is to tell us that the pre-cogs aren't always correct. So, it is entirely possible that it was the same for John Anderton. The pre-cogs vision of Anderton's murderous actions were not guaranteed to come true.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jd_from_da_80s (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #925
warrian warrian is offline
Special Member
 
warrian's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
American Midwest
2251
317
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Uuummmmm... the whole point of a major plot point is to tell us that the pre-cogs aren't always correct. So, it is entirely possible that it was the same for John Anderton. The pre-cogs vision of Anderton's murderous actions were not guaranteed to come true.
That's the movie we're left with, yes. The source material doesn't take a stance on that. It lets you decide whether its fate or freewill based on what you bring to the table. It doesn't take a stand and lead its audience by the nose to a "the pre-cogs were wrong once so back to square one" ending. It keeps the focus on the individual, his thoughts and actions, not the big conspiracy.

But it's a great movie as it is. Very crowd pleasing, visually confident and its still full of cool ideas to ponder. Those of us who don't love final act just feel it could have been as transcendent as something like Blade Runner had the filmmakers not felt compelled to dish out so much easy justice at the end.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #926
TylerDurden389 TylerDurden389 is offline
Special Member
 
Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
Those of us who don't love final act just feel it could have been as transcendent as something like Blade Runner had the filmmakers not felt compelled to dish out so much easy justice at the end.
Funny. Many years ago I thought it would've been a better movie if the entire "Anne Lively" subplot was abandoned, and instead of Anderton saying those things about "killing me proves the system works but if not then the system ends" to Lamar over the headset, he's saying it to himself in his head during those intense moments where he's beating the crap outta Leo Crow. Then after he tells him his rights "If you can't afford an attorney...we will appoint one". Cut to black and then show the ending with Tom's V.O about the end of pre-crime and the alleged murderers being freed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #927
warrian warrian is offline
Special Member
 
warrian's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
American Midwest
2251
317
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
Funny. Many years ago I thought it would've been a better movie if the entire "Anne Lively" subplot was abandoned, and instead of Anderton saying those things about "killing me proves the system works but if not then the system ends" to Lamar over the headset, he's saying it to himself in his head during those intense moments where he's beating the crap outta Leo Crow. Then after he tells him his rights "If you can't afford an attorney...we will appoint one". Cut to black and then show the ending with Tom's V.O about the end of pre-crime and the alleged murderers being freed.
That would save us some time, but is essentially the same ending as the release version. Basically, as soon as we see or hear about the decision that Anderton makes, we the audience are let off the hook for having to make it ourselves. But hey, that open ended kind of thing may not be the type of movie a big studio wants to drop 120 million dollars on either, I get it.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones Blu-ray Announced - April 20th, 2010 Blu-ray Movies - North America Farid 128 01-10-2013 05:03 AM
The Natural Blu-ray Announced - April 6, 2010 Blu-ray Movies - North America Brad1963 73 03-08-2011 05:03 AM
Minority Report German Digi-Pak Blu-ray | April 23, 2010 Germany jw 0 03-08-2010 11:04 PM
Minority Report Wish Lists TheZoof 1 05-07-2009 06:41 PM
what about MINORITY REPORT on blu? Blu-ray Movies - North America SKRUhddvd 2 10-05-2007 04:26 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 PM.