Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
Downton Abbey: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$73.98
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Ben-Hur (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

The biggest problem with TV speakers is that they place the cheapest pieces of crap in the entire universe into them to keep the costs as low as possible. Most of them are extremely poor for movie presentations. What you guys all need is to purchase a receiver and a 3.1 speaker setup at the very minimum. When you get a good dedicated center channel all your problems with dialogue will disappear.

Years ago, I had similar problems to all of you, and no matter what I did the problem persisted. There are ways to tweak your setup, but you will never be fully happy with it. It wasn't until I got good quality speakers (which included a center channel), a good receiver and calibrated them properly. Now I never miss any dialogue, even during the most intense action sequences.

Remember most people say that the most important speaker in any setup is your center. Unfortunately, most TV's today do not included this speaker. Which explain why your unhappy with the sound.

Movies are recorded and designed today with a center speaker in mind. So it isn't the studio's fault that your watching a movie through your TV speakers and cannot hear dialogue. As it was never designed for this.
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

TILALLR1's UV / iTunes / Google Play / Disney DMA/DMR / Digital Copy - CODES FOR SALE

Last edited by tilallr1; 11-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Now I want to also point out another story. My brother-in-law was also seriously dissatisfied with his TV speakers, so he went out and bought a home theater in a box solution. The problem here is that the center speaker included was a piece of crap. So although dialogue got better, it was still a problem. Mostly during the loud action sequences. Went out and got him a $60 larger center speaker, swapped it out, and calibrated. Problem gone.

TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

TILALLR1's UV / iTunes / Google Play / Disney DMA/DMR / Digital Copy - CODES FOR SALE
Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #43

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Remember most people say that the most important speaker in any setup is your center. Unfortunately, most TV's today do not included this speaker.

Which is completely stupid as the standard today is 5.1 even for tv shows.

Which have the dialog mixed in only the center speaker.

Therefore, not including a center speaker on a tv is like not including any speakers at all on a "monophonic" tv.

Movies are recorded and designed today with a center speaker in mind. So it isn't the studio's fault that your watching a movie through your TV speakers and cannot hear dialogue. As it was never designed for this.
Yes they are designed for this. The digital standard is 5.1.

All new tv shows on the major networks are 5.1

So not including a center speaker on a digital atsc tv is like not including any speakers at all on a "monophonic" tv.

Also, all digital channels I turn to (except for the subchannels which play old tv shows from the 50's,60's,70's,and 80's and old movies) all are broadcast in dolby digital5.1. (the subchannels say they're broadcast in dolby digital 2.0)

Therefore, not including a center speaker on a tv is like not including any speakers at all on a "monophonic" tv.

Last edited by 3Dfan; 08-02-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #44

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
Just checking but I believe that Night mode or DRC does in fact actually work on both Dolby and DTS sources (lossy and Lossless). I could be wrong on that but a brief search on google seemed to point to this working across both audio manufacturers.

Again I could be wrong.

.T
My amp's instruction manual agrees with you. However, my own experience and attempts prove it wrong.

As DRC didn't work on either DTS or Dolby TruHd

The only movie I got so far that has missing sound, when played through a 5.1 amp is "The Dark Knight". Most notable during the opening logos which are ccompletely silent but can be heard fine when played through cheapo 2.0 stereo tv speakers. Although the rest of the movie still has the sound problems even when played that way.

Some other movies have the dialog way way too low and the music and sfx way way too loud like "The Amazing Spider-Man 2".

While the rest of the movies like "The Amazing Spider-Man" (the first one of the two) sound completely fine on the same system with the same settings.

What's the difference between the 2 Spider-Man movies why the first one plays fine through the 5.1 amp and the second one has the dialog too low/music and sfx problem too loud played through the same 5.1 amp?

The same with those two movies when played through only the 2 tv speakers. The first one sounds okay and the second one still has the dialog way too low. music and sfx way too loud problem.

Last edited by 3Dfan; 08-02-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #45

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
>>>
>>>The biggest problem with TV speakers is that they place the cheapest pieces of crap in the entire universe into them to keep the costs as low as possible. Most of them are extremely poor for movie presentations.

And yet those cheapo tv speakers are able to play the sound from the opening logos of "The Dark Knight" which the more expensive 5.1 receiver speakers aren't ale to play so is just completely quiet during those when playing it on a 5.1 system with a good dedicated center channel.

wit>>>What you guys all need is to purchase a receiver and a 3.1 speaker setup at the very minimum. When you get a good dedicated center channel all your problems with dialogue will disappear.

And yet those cheapo tv speakers are able to play the sound from the opening logos of "The Dark Knight" which the more expensive 5.1 receiver speakers aren't ale to play so is just completely quiet during those when playing it on a 5.1 system with a good dedicated center channel.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders