Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Boyhood (Blu-ray)
$14.97
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$63.99
The Knick: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 04-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #1461

Mar 2015
Pennsylvania
Smile Auto Focus

Auto Focus

Dir. Paul Schrader

Thanks given by:
thecalm_7 (05-10-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #1462

Apr 2015

No posts in a few days....

How about Larry Fesseden's "Habit"

A wonderful indie film that is (or isn't?) about a vampire....
Thanks given by:
Tuco_76 (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #1463

Jan 2013
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Wendy & Lucy
Before The Devil Knows Your Dead
The Savages
The Nines
Bronson
Thats great, great stuff right there!

Wendy and Lucy I haven't seen yet, but definitely will very soon, looks terrific too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Zaleska View Post
No posts in a few days....

How about Larry Fesseden's "Habit"

A wonderful indie film that is (or isn't?) about a vampire....
That one sounds good too, that as good as The Addiction ?
Hard to find, no EUR release
Old 04-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #1464

Jan 2013
Cologne, Germany
f.y.e. (for your entertainment)

Erin Grover @Indiewire:

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
The film's style, screen direction, cinematography and editing create a roller coaster ride through the mind of a deranged killer. Take "Irreversible", "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" and "American Psycho" put them in a blender on high speed and out comes "Wild in Blue"; a must see new indie film.

Last edited by Tuco_76; 04-25-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #1465
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
Tracy Island
Smile

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
SYNOPSIS

Based on the bestselling book by Jussi Adler-Olsen.

Following a shootout that left his two partners respectively dead and paralyzed, chief detective
Carl Morck is assigned to the newly established Department Q, a department for old, terminated cases.
The department consists of himself and his new assistant Assad.
Although they get explicit orders to read and sort through cases, only a single day passes before
Car's stubborn nature throws them headfirst into the mystery of Merete Lynggaard's disappearance; a
well-known female politician who vanished five years ago from a passenger ferry. The only witness is her
brain-damaged brother who was found on the car deck, screaming at the top of his lungs. The case was
put to rest as an apparent suicide.
Unconvinced by this explanation Carl And Assad venture on a journey that will take them deep into the
undercurrent of abuse and malice that lurks beneath the polished surface of Scandinavia.

http://thekeeperoflostcausesthemovie.com/#synopsis

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Varg Veum is the central character in a series of crime novels, written by the Norwegian author Gunnar Staalesen, about a private detective who lives in Bergen, on the west coast of Norway. In the film series private detective Varg Veum is portrayed by Norwegian actor Trond Espen Seim – recently seen in the Danish series Arvingerne.

There are 12 stories made from 2007 through to 2012, with each episode being 90 minutes long. With Hardcoded English Subtitles.

Episode 10 At Night All Wolves Are Grey (I Mørket er alle Ulver Grå)

Private detective Varg Veum investigates a case where his good friend Evans, a highly decorated ex-army officer, is falsely accused of bombing Armakon, a weapons storage facility, and to prove him innocent.

There was a roar that shook Bergen as the armory exploded. Varg Veum’s best friend dies, and is designated as “bomber”. He begins to dig into the arms industry’s dark secrets and drawn into a deadly game, in what will be his biggest and most dangerous case ever.

http://jannajives.pw/varg-veum-crime...lves-are-grey/
"Perhaps Today" "Payday Someday"
"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"
"As cool as the other side of the pillow"
" R-E-L-A-X relax"
"C'Mon Man!"
"Asinine, asiten, asieleven, asitwelve"...

TIGERS (26-17)

Last edited by hagios; 04-25-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #1466

Jul 2012

Anyone familiar w/ the 1997 New Zealand serial killer flick The Ugly?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #1467

Nov 2013

All is Lost
Old 05-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #1468

Apr 2015
America, Land of 'Eco'-packaging BS
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett_day View Post
boy in the stripped pajamas is a great movie too but i have never heard much about it, everyone should see that one
I have seen it and everyone should AVOID that one. It's the worst kind of shamelessly dishonest Holocaust movie with painfully ignorant characters. There are great films that deal with the Holocaust like the interviews collection documentary SHOAH and Spielberg's famous SCHINDLER'S LIST, the controversial ones like Tarantino's history-rewriting Nazi-killing revenge film Inglorious Basterds (which even its detractors must admit has some brilliantly constructed scenes) and then there are the worst kind of pandering, Oscar-bait nonsense that insult their audience's intelligence like THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS and LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.

I just did a quick search and found that I'm not alone in my thoughts, including Richard Schickel's review from Time which I generally agree with:
"I don't think I've seen — at least since equally offensive concentration camp fable, Life Is Beautiful — a movie so reliant on human stupidity to achieve its effect, so totally dishonest in its insistence on that quality (which it presents as innocence) to achieve its narrative goals. Bruno and Shmuel may be only eight years old, but that is well past the age of reason, and they are caught up in situation that would force anyone to acquire a shrewdness well in advance of their years. I don't know if a movie as simpleminded and emotionally shameless as this one definitively proves that fiction is not a suitable vehicle for the consideration of crimes as vast as the Holocaust. But it will do until the next historical travesty comes along."

It is based on "a 2006 novel by Irish novelist John Boyne. Unlike the months of planning Boyne devoted to his other books, he said that he wrote the entire first draft of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in two and a half days" Yeah, and it shows because the movie based on it is patently absurd.

(see also Jim Emerson's mocking takedown of LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, the feel good Holocaust movie)
Samsung 46" LED 120hz only2D + mediocre old Panasonic HTIB Blu + newer Samsung Blu

Someone please end Michael Bay's reign of terror against quality filmmaking. The world really doesn't need for there to be as many hideously awful Transformers movies as there are Fast and/or Furious movies. Just make it stop.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #1469

Apr 2015
America, Land of 'Eco'-packaging BS
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco_76 View Post
Thats great, great stuff right there!

Wendy and Lucy I haven't seen yet, but definitely will very soon, looks terrific too!
WENDY AND LUCY is a great film and Michelle Williams is great in it. It's possibly my favorite Kelly Reichardt film, though her unusual western MEEK'S CUTOFF is great too, but be warned that one is very slow moving and about a wagon train getting lost along the Oregon Trail, not your usual action-based western.
Samsung 46" LED 120hz only2D + mediocre old Panasonic HTIB Blu + newer Samsung Blu

Someone please end Michael Bay's reign of terror against quality filmmaking. The world really doesn't need for there to be as many hideously awful Transformers movies as there are Fast and/or Furious movies. Just make it stop.
Thanks given by:
Tuco_76 (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #1470

Apr 2011
by the sea

I don't know if lesser known is the right phrase, but 'the illustrated man' is a very entertaining sci-fi film. Darker in idea than I expected, in a good way. Ray Bradbury wrote the short it was based on if I remember correctly. WB and WB WAC have releases of this film. Not bad if you can get a hold of it.

The Lathe of Heaven is another good sci-fi film. There are 2 available a B&W and a new different one. Both differ and have different tones about them. The B&W Stars Bruce Davison, the color from A&E features James Caan.

Hopefully someone will enjoy the suggestions
Old 05-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #1471

Jan 2015

Uncommon Valor starring Gene Hackman
Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #1472

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetaryrider89 View Post
Uncommon Valor starring Gene Hackman
+1

How about it, Arrow? You released The Delta Force

I think Michael Dudikoff is in UV, but I can't spot him. 'Blaster's Assistant' he's credited as, according to imdb.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #1473

May 2013
Holland
Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Disc OCD View Post
I have seen it and everyone should AVOID that one. It's the worst kind of shamelessly dishonest Holocaust movie with painfully ignorant characters. There are great films that deal with the Holocaust like the interviews collection documentary SHOAH and Spielberg's famous SCHINDLER'S LIST, the controversial ones like Tarantino's history-rewriting Nazi-killing revenge film Inglorious Basterds (which even its detractors must admit has some brilliantly constructed scenes) and then there are the worst kind of pandering, Oscar-bait nonsense that insult their audience's intelligence like THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS and LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.

I just did a quick search and found that I'm not alone in my thoughts, including Richard Schickel's review from Time which I generally agree with:
"I don't think I've seen — at least since equally offensive concentration camp fable, Life Is Beautiful — a movie so reliant on human stupidity to achieve its effect, so totally dishonest in its insistence on that quality (which it presents as innocence) to achieve its narrative goals. Bruno and Shmuel may be only eight years old, but that is well past the age of reason, and they are caught up in situation that would force anyone to acquire a shrewdness well in advance of their years. I don't know if a movie as simpleminded and emotionally shameless as this one definitively proves that fiction is not a suitable vehicle for the consideration of crimes as vast as the Holocaust. But it will do until the next historical travesty comes along."

It is based on "a 2006 novel by Irish novelist John Boyne. Unlike the months of planning Boyne devoted to his other books, he said that he wrote the entire first draft of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in two and a half days" Yeah, and it shows because the movie based on it is patently absurd.

(see also Jim Emerson's mocking takedown of LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, the feel good Holocaust movie)
I think you should have also included THE PIANO by Roman Polanski if you think of Holocaust pictures it's up there with SHINDLER'S LIST. Never saw SHOAH, but I heard so much about it over the years and know Hitchcock was involved for awill on this.

A recommendation:
Michiel de Ruyter
Old 05-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #1474
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
San Fransokyo

Try watching Monsters. Gareth Edwards' first feature film, and the one that landed him the coveted Godzilla spot. I freaking love Godzilla, but Monsters is pretty darn awesome in its own right just for what the man was able to achieve for less than $1 million dollars and shooting with a treatment rather than a full on script and just filming 100 hours of two actors improvising various scenarios and conversations in five different countries and then taking that with his editor and whittling it down to 90 minutes and doing all of the visual effects himself on his home computer using off the shelf software. Indeed, Edwards' work on Monsters should put to shame some directors who have infinitely larger budgets at their disposal and really it makes me so glad that Edwards was given $160 million to play with for Godzilla because he learned on Monsters how to make every penny stretch for the maximum. If you haven't seen it I reccomend it and Magnolia Home Entertainment/Magnet put together a freaking awesome Blu-ray package for this one including fascinating behind the scenes docs that give you a true insight into how the film was crafted. Now I really want to see Monsters: Dark Continent and it's coming to Blu June 2. Unfortunately it's Starz/Anchor Bay doing this one. That kind of sucks. Because the Magnet Blu for Monsters features a fine slipcover. I picked it up just last year, shortly after seeing Godzilla actually, for less than $10 at Best Buy. I am proud to own this one right next to Godzilla.

P.S. Monsters was shot on Prosumer digital cameras, mostly one actually, and never had any lighting really other than what was on location at the time. Because of this the film sometimes looks very grainy, mostly and especially at night, and some shots can be out of focus, but really this adds to the kind of quasi-documentary feeling. It's still an incredibly beautiful film a lot of times. Yes, there are some leaps in reality, like there are no ancient Mayan temples anywhere near the U.S/Mexico border, but again the way the film builds its own universe is very immersive once you allow yourself to just let go and really get into it.
Hello, I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your pain?

We jumped out a window.

On behalf of the fine people of New York and real rhinos everywhere, I ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air!

Last edited by spiderfan1985; 05-12-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #1475

May 2013
Holland
Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderfan1985 View Post
Try watching Monsters. Gareth Edwards' first feature film, and the one that landed him the coveted Godzilla spot. I freaking love Godzilla, but Monsters is pretty darn awesome in its own right just for what the man was able to achieve for less than $1 million dollars and shooting with a treatment rather than a full on script and just filming 100 hours of two actors improvising various scenarios and conversations in five different countries and then taking that with his editor and whittling it down to 90 minutes and doing all of the visual effects himself on his home computer using off the shelf software. Indeed, Edwards' work on Monsters should put to shame some directors who have infinitely larger budgets at their disposal and really it makes me so glad that Edwards was given $160 million to play with for Godzilla because he learned on Monsters how to make every penny stretch for the maximum. If you haven't seen it I reccomend it and Magnolia Home Entertainment/Magnet put together a freaking awesome Blu-ray package for this one including fascinating behind the scenes docs that give you a true insight into how the film was crafted. Now I really want to see Monsters: Dark Continent and it's coming to Blu June 2. Unfortunately it's Starz/Anchor Bay doing this one. That kind of sucks. Because the Magnet Blu for Monsters features a fine slipcover. I picked it up just last year, shortly after seeing Godzilla actually, for less than $10 at Best Buy. I am proud to own this one right next to Godzilla.

P.S. Monsters was shot on Prosumer digital cameras, mostly one actually, and never had any lighting really other than what was on location at the time. Because of this the film sometimes looks very grainy, mostly and especially at night, and some shots can be out of focus, but really this adds to the kind of quasi-documentary feeling. It's still an incredibly beautiful film a lot of times. Yes, there are some leaps in reality, like there are no ancient Mayan temples anywhere near the U.S/Mexico border, but again the way the film builds its own universe is very immersive once you allow yourself to just let go and really get into it.
MONSTERS is fantastic for such a big story. I wished that I saw it in a theater fortuned I own a a copy on BR just like GODZILLA (2014) got that one in a SB + 3D version.
Another unknown Movies and it is coming in 2015:
the Midnight Swim
Sneider Vs. Bax - Alex van Warmedam: An modern western over one day played in the high grass. (Is not for smoking)
Thanks given by:
spiderfan1985 (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #1476

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharin View Post
I think you should have also included THE PIANO by Roman Polanski if you think of Holocaust pictures it's up there with SHINDLER'S LIST.
Saw The Piano in theaters, it is really an amazing film. I enjoyed it more than the blockbuster Holocaust movies that came out around the same time period. It really is a shame that Polanski has such a stigma here in America. Maybe that is why it wasn't discussed as much.
My Criterion Collection

Swing down sweet chariot. Stop and let me ride.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #1477

May 2013
Holland

http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachment....1&d=1431777738
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frank-film.jpg (6.3 KB, 7 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies