Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steve McQueen Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #101
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2 View Post
Well if nothing is re-released in the next 12 months I will pick up a copy.
Is it a PERFECTLY restored master? No, but it's a gash-darn far cry from the DVD and I've NEVER seen Grease look or sound as good as this bluray release does.

Of course they could re-release it and give us the original soundtrack without the pumped up mix as an option along with the current soundtrack.

But besides the pumped up remix, this is an INCREDIBLE bluray. Wait 10 more years if you want, but you're really missing out on a WONDERFUL film.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #102

Jun 2007
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
Is it a PERFECTLY restored master? No, but it's a gash-darn far cry from the DVD and I've NEVER seen Grease look or sound as good as this bluray release does.

Of course they could re-release it and give us the original soundtrack without the pumped up mix as an option along with the current soundtrack.

But besides the pumped up remix, this is an INCREDIBLE bluray. Wait 10 more years if you want, but you're really missing out on a WONDERFUL film.
Is it a great film? yep!

Will I be watching it in the next 6 months if I had it now? No

So I can afford to wait and see as I'm in no real rush at the moment.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #103

May 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
I have to agree. I watch it occassionally because it's an interesting and fun movie to watch. I'm not that big oon musicals but Grease is oone of those exceptions. It's just not your typical musical and the cast and crew surely produced a movie that looks like it was fun to make.
I agree. I'm a guy in my 40's. Saw the film when it first came to theaters. It remains the only musical I've ever really gotten into. I know other guy friends of mine that feel the same way. It's almost weird how universally liked this film was by all moviegoers.
Panasonic Viera 50" Class ST50 Series Full HD Plasma HDTV - Onkyo HT-S9400THX Home Theater Receiver - BDP-S790 4K and 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #104

May 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
If by "visual blurring" you are referring to the COKE signs and logos, be aware that were optically removed before the picture was released. They were matted out before prints were made because of a sponsorship deal the producer made with PEPSI. These logos were ALWAYS blurred and were NEVER seen in theaters.
That's all well and good, and no one would've expected them to make alterations to that really bad blurring on the VHS release or even the DVD release, simply because the technology wasn't there yet to do it cheaply. I remember when I first watched the Blu-ray edition, I was shocked that they hadn't fixed it by then. I'd have thought that some kid in high school using some Adobe or Apple software could've replaced those blurred posters with a wall and do it in a day or two. Those tools are so cheap nowadays. Paramount was just plain lazy. I can't even imagine the transfer was even looked at by a tech. Just shoved into a scanner with DNR being selected.

And I recently saw on this site that there is a print without the blurring, as shown in these images. So WTF Paramount. Didn't Grease made enough money for you that you can't make make the slightest effort to improve it?

Panasonic Viera 50" Class ST50 Series Full HD Plasma HDTV - Onkyo HT-S9400THX Home Theater Receiver - BDP-S790 4K and 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #105
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGates01 View Post
That's all well and good, and no one would've expected them to make alterations to that really bad blurring on the VHS release or even the DVD release, simply because the technology wasn't there yet to do it cheaply. I remember when I first watched the Blu-ray edition, I was shocked that they hadn't fixed it by then. I'd have thought that some kid in high school using some Adobe or Apple software could've replaced those blurred posters with a wall and do it in a day or two. Those tools are so cheap nowadays. Paramount was just plain lazy. I can't even imagine the transfer was even looked at by a tech. Just shoved into a scanner with DNR being selected.

And I recently saw on this site that there is a print without the blurring, as shown in these images. So WTF Paramount. Didn't Grease made enough money for you that you can't make make the slightest effort to improve it?

It's cool to see the image UNblurred again after all these years.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #106
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

While it might be "nice" to see the unblurred Coke sign, the fact remains that it was always matted out in theatrical release and should definitely NOT be seen in the Blu-ray.

People get funny ideas about what they think they should be entitled to see.

On one hand, people will demand things be as they were originally released in the theater and go batty over any changes when something is put on Blu-ray. On the other hand, some of them have a sense of entitlement that they should things that weren't seen on the screen.

Paramount didn't want the Coke sign to be seen. They didn't release it to theaters with the coke sign visible.

It should not be on the Blu-ray.

Nothing to do but go straight to the horse’s mouth: “Grease” director Randal Kleiser.

“Carr had made a promotional deal with Pepsi for tie-ins when the movie was released, but neglected to tell the set decorator,” Kleiser told me. “It wasn’t until he saw dailies [a review of each day’s raw footage] that he was aware the set had been filled with Coke products. He went ballistic.”

Kleiser had to either re-shoot the scenes without Coke products or use special effects to cover them up.

The logos were blocked out with an optical printer, a device that projects one piece of film (in this case, only a gray or blurry box) onto another piece of film to produce a combined image. It seems the large picture was only made blurry because a gray box would’ve been too obvious.

Kleiser called the results “very crude-looking,” adding, “I’m surprised more people didn’t notice it.”

And what about that unaltered Coke cooler in the very same scene? “That was impossible to cover with 1978 technology,” Kleiser said. “We just had to hope that Pepsi didn’t complain. They didn’t.”

The logos were blocked on the original release prints, and on the home video version made from them. The product-placement deal had expired by the time of “Grease’s” 20th anniversary re-release in 1998, and the film could have been shown unaltered—if the original print hadn’t been lost. The only surviving prints are censored.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #107
Power Member

Jun 2009
Terra Scanić, Sweden
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
The only surviving prints are censored.
Obviously that isn't true. The blurring is a distraction, it was then and it still is today, and only there to rescue a sponsorship deal which isn't in effect today. The decision to blur it was pure financial reasons and not some "great art". For those who still want to keep the blurring Paramount could easily offer a branching option on the disc and offer both versions.
500 years ago on the planet Zeist

4K scan, please. Make mine unscrubbed and hold the teal'n'orange, thanks!

Region A/B positive

Last edited by TheOneWithThePrize; 01-27-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #108
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

It doesn't matter to me if the picture is blurred or not. It doesn't change the content of the film or my ability to continue enjoying the experience of GREASE. It would be nice to have it UN-blurred, cause it IS a minor distraction for me, but it's such a short one, I can live with it easily.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America