Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Wailing (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.51
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Superman: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Halloween II (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Burbank, California
Default World War Z Sequel

Quote:
The successful debut of the zombie apocalypse tentpole marks the actor's biggest box office opening to date and could put him at the helm of his own studio franchise.

Has Brad Pitt caught franchise fever?
With the successful $111.8 million worldwide debut of zombie extravaganza World War Z -- a passion project for the actor -- Paramount will actively turn to developing a sequel, studio vice chairman Rob Moore tells The Hollywood Reporter. The tentpole earned $66 million in North America, the best opening for an original live-action tentpole since Avatar, and $45.8 million from its first 25 foreign markets.

World War Z initially was envisioned as a trilogy, but those plans were shelved when the movie ran into trouble, requiring extensive reworking of the last act. Initially set to open in December 2012, the movie's release date was pushed back to June, prompting many in Hollywood to anticipate a blood bath.

But in a happy reversal of fortune, World War Z is off to a strong start, both in terms of its commercial and critical appeal. It will need to stay strong to make up for its $190 million budget, however. Paramount appears confident it will, judging by the fact that its reviving plans for further installments. It's the biggest debut of Pitt's career.

Skydance Productions co-financed World War Z, which also was made in association with Hemisphere Media Capital and GK Films. Pitt produced via his company Plan B, with Marc Forster directing.

Franchises are incredibly important to Hollywood studios, and can likewise reap huge rewards for talent in terms of pay. And a World War Z series could mark a big win for Pitt in terms of his aspirations as a producer.
Pitt -- one of the world's most recognizable stars -- has spent much of his career pursuing prestige projects, versus more commercial event pics. An exception was Troy and the Ocean's Eleven franchise, although those were ensemble films.

His previous best box office opening, not accounting for inflation, was Mr. & Mrs. Smith in summer 2005 ($50.3 million). A year before, in May 2004, Troy opened to $46.9 million, his now third best debut.

Pitt has starred in a number of two-handers (Spy Game, Interview With a Vampire, The Devil's Own), as well having a relatively small -- but memorable role -- in Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. His last two films were indie mob pic Killing Them Softly, which bombed, and the critically acclaimed Moneyball.
Pitt aggressively helped market World War Z, attending numerous screenings across the country, as well as turning up at industry events, such as CinemaCon, the annual convention of theater owners in Las Vegas. He also has jetted around the world to attend various premiere of the movie.

"The great thing about this process was that it showed what a great partner and producer Brad is," says Moore. "He made a true commitment."
Moore said that when the studio deemed that there problems with the movie, Pitt and Forster worked closely with Paramount Film Group president Adam Goodman to "find the right movie. He stayed and worked when he could have gone off and shot another movie."

The result -- World War Z drew a fairly even ratio of males (51 percent) and females (49), while 33 percent of those buying tickets were under the age of 25, and 67 percent, over.
In addition to Pitt's appeal, Moore says that females were drawn to the film's storyline. In World War Z, a U.N. worker who is torn between protecting his family and leaving to find a cure for a worldwide pandemic turning humans into zombies.

Last week, when attending the Moscow premiere, Pitt himself hinted at a sequel and said there is plenty of material left over from Max Brooks' novel, upon which the movie is based.

"I think the movie captured the public's imagination with something that is fresh and different," says Moore. "And certainly, Brad gave a superb performance."
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/...-sights-573814
RIP Navster, My SF Giants Compadre. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney
Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Banned

Aug 2011

But there's no letter after Z to name the sequel.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Well its done....The naysayers ate their own words.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Awesome. Great film. Hoping for a great sequel.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remake View Post
But there's no letter after Z to name the sequel.
How about World War ZZ, or Z War 2?
"If your apartment is hit by a dolphin, don't go outside to see if the dolphin is okay. That is how the hurricane tricks you into coming outside."

I'm feeling Megatronic. Give me a colonic.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Zombie View Post
How about World War ZZ, or Z War 2?
"World War ZZ" sounds like what Wickerjay has been fighting for a while now.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

This movie had an impressive box office debut and a sequel is announced at the end of the weekend. That is something for those to think that box office discussions are irrelevant to ponder.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

Jan 2010

I agree with Randyman94. Cant wait for the BD to come out.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-mike View Post
Well its done....The naysayers ate their own words.
I'm glad; there were people everywhere claiming it was going to bomb hard -- some even claimed they wanted it to! -- since it had extensive re-shoots and re-writes (not to mention the major concerns with budget and the Forster/Pitt problems) but I'm glad it's come into its own and proved them all wrong.

Now, will we be having this same discussion when World War Z: Part 5 comes out in a few years time?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Special Member

May 2008
Antarctica

I think shows like WALKING DEAD really helped WWZ out this weekend. People who are fans of that show, which are a few, have to check WWZ out. These people already had a love of zombies before WWZ came out.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Special Member

May 2008
Antarctica

This is going to be good on BD. I was already a fan of B.Pitt...especially from his Interview with a Vampire Days. That was a great performance.

I hope there is a sequel...and maybe a TV show developed from this movie. I think the world can handle two zombie hit shows...WALKING DEAD & WWZ (maybe?!?!).
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Dunlap, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR BLU NEO View Post
I think shows like WALKING DEAD really helped WWZ out this weekend. People who are fans of that show, which are a few, have to check WWZ out. These people already had a love of zombies before WWZ came out.
Not necessarily, I'm a big Walking Dead fan but I have never seen or had any interest in seeing any other zombie movie.
GO TITANS!!
GO VOLS!!
GO PREDS!!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

Just because it made money, it will get a sequel. World War Zzzzzzzz was the worst "tentpole" summer flick I've ever seen. My gal and I paid our $20, and then....

......proceeded to wait for the zombies to get scary......in any way at all. For the entire running time of this gawd-awful POS.

Yeah, I may just be about done with any theater-going, unless the film in question is pretty much undeniably something I'll enjoy more; hopefully much, much more than WWZ. Its too expensive to go otherwise.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Thanks given by:
Just Jimmy (05-22-2015)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
UK

Quote:
The tentpole earned $66 million in North America, the best opening for an original live-action tentpole since Avatar
I don't get this - there have been a good few 'original' films that have opened higher than that. What about The Hunger Games? Man of Steel? Alice in Wonderland? Oz?

Unless they mean completely original - and have just forgotten this is an adaptation of a book.

Last edited by Buddy Ackerman; 06-24-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008

That article really needs to include the word "tentpole" in a few more places.
Panasonic PT-AE3000U : Yamaha RX-V863 : Infinity Beta 50 x 2 : Infinity Beta 360 : DefinitiveTech ProCinema 600 x4 : Infinity SW-12 : DefinitiveTech ProSub 600 : 80GB PS3 : 42" Vizio 1080p 120hz LCD : 119" Da-Lite Screen
Old 10-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #16
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Marc Foster will not direct sequel

Quote:

Director Marc Forster Out for WORLD WAR Z Sequel Although it went on to be a worldwide hit raking in over half-a-billion dollars, World War Z saw a heavy dose of skepticism and internal creative strife during its production. While the successful box office helped pave the way for a sequel, director Marc Forster will not be involved with the film. Star Brad Pitt, who produced the film through his Plan B Entertainment company, is moving forward with production on the sequel, although itís still in early planning stages. There was no explicit reason given for Forsterís departure, but perhaps the director did not want a repeat of the behind-the-scenes tribulations he experienced during the first film. Hit the jump for more.

In THRís extensive look at the drama and uncertainty leading up to the release of World War Z and how that affected another of Pitt and Plan Bís films, 12 Years a Slave, a few lines of text were dedicated to the news that Forster would not be returning to helm the sequel to the apocalyptic genre film. As for the progress on the sequel, hereís what Pitt had to say:

ďWe are talking about it Ö We are going to investigate a script. We have a lot of ideas we will cull from. Nobody is writing just yet, but we are compiling our ideas.Ē

The original film was loosely based on the Max Brooks novel by the same name. During production, the picture suffered bad press from reports of an over-inflated budget, rewrites, reshoots and the general feeling that the filmís producers didnít have a clue what they were doing. Half-a-billion dollars later, World War Z is now another example of how a film should only be judged on its final version. An old adage says that laws and sausage are two things you donít want to see being made; movies, especially blockbuster genre films, should be added to the list.
I had a feeling they were going to move on without him

http://collider.com/world-war-z-sequel-marc-forster/

Last edited by nolfoc; 10-04-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Bay Area Oakland , Ca

hopefully brad can find someone who will not disappoint
PSN - RAGEofACHILLES79

R.I.P Ivanseesall

Sony uhd 4k 65xbr850c- Sony ct790 - samsung k8500 4k player - harmony remote 1100
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")ô

Absolutely NO Surprise they're not asking for Forster to return. I read a Very lengthy article about the making of this movie in Vanity Fair & holy sh!t, what a fuster-cluck at times this movie was...
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!" ô
TV: 70" SHARP 3D/LC-70UQ17U - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" / Center: CS2 - Front: RTiA5's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Sides), FXiA3's (Rears) - 2 Onkyo SKH-410 DOLBY ATMOS Spkrs / Subs: 2 PA-120's
ONKYO TX-NR838: DOLBY ATMOS (Ready) - Emotiva XPA-3/Gen 2 - OPPO BDP-103D
DirecTV: HR-44 HD-DVR - Remote: Harmony ONE
Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
Marc Foster will not direct sequel

"First, ye rubs somethin' furry t'builds up a charge...then ye picks yer target...!"
Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #20
Banned

Nov 2008
-
Default J.A. Bayona to direct

Quote:
After making $540 million at the worldwide box office, Paramount and Skydance Pictures have worked fast to find a director for the sequel to “World War Z” with “The Impossible” helmer Juan Antonio Bayona coming on board to direct.

Brad Pitt is expected to return to star and produce with David Ellison also producing for Skydance. No writers are attached at this time.

In the original, Pitt played a former United Nations employee who travels the world trying to stop a zombie plague.

While the first film’s production was overshadowed in controversy that included a rewrite of the third act, the film overperformed at the box office, propelling development on the sequel.

Bayona, who also helmed “The Orphanage,” is repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/wo...or-1200941886/

Last edited by nolfoc; 12-11-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies