Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Continuum: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole / Hugo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Da Vinci's Demons: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Grindhouse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rushmore (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Darjeeling Limited (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 02-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #1801
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

I watched Tales of Earthsea the other day and must admit it's underrated. The film isn't nearly as taut as elder Miyazaki's titles, but it's rather beautifully animated (nice architecture in places as well), has some compelling character moments, and builds the story in a fairly organic manner that doesn't feel forced. I also appreciated the film touching on slavery and the substance "Hazia" and its ill effects. Few animated films dare to even tiptoe around these topics at all.

Obviously it's not a perfect film. Some downsides in the film might be:

[Show spoiler]
  • Failure to incorporate more dragons into the film (which is always a good opportunity as everybody loves dragons), although it's clear from the dialogue that dragons are more symbolic than literal manifestations.
  • Sparing amounts of violence, yet when violence occurs it's generally shocking, brutal, and bloody or lethal.
  • Cob is perhaps a bit too creepy, zany, and manic at times.
  • Combining the two above points, this one is NOT for the kids like much of the rest of Ghibli canon is.
  • The pacing is languorous at times, yet at others it feels like time isn't well-represented and moves too quickly.
  • Not enough back story on Cob, Sparrowhawk, etc. A good flashback or two could have really helped things out and given us a bit more investment in the finale. It was also rather unfortunate that Sparrowhawk was unable to flex his full prowess at any point in the film, which combined with the lack of more dragons on display, is opportunity lost, I think.
  • The "true name" concept was interesting, yet the method of action wasn't very well described.
  • Failure to better flesh out Arren's reasons for murder. Additionally, having your protagonist commit murder makes it difficult for the audience to identify with him. I took it that Arren's actions represents the mistakes we all make, and then want to hide from (which can bring us to more danger), but I still think more exposition was necessary here.

I really did enjoy the film, and I think it carries with it the desire to send a message about the way we live and act, and I enjoyed that aspect very much. The film seems to be more a metaphorical work than a literal one, and on that level I think it works. Taken literally, perhaps it doesn't work as well, but for me I couldn't help but enjoy its approach.

I mean, is there really something so wrong with a film that asks us to
[Show spoiler]face our demons, accept death, avoid hazardous substances, fight for our freedom, expose our vulnerabilities to someone we can really trust, embrace our potential despite our mistakes, and assume responsibility for our actions?

Like the film or not, it's hard to argue that it doesn't carry with it a lot of heavy subject matter and attempts to say something real somewhere in all of it rather than just tell us a cute story.
Roland: What's your name, William? I'm asking you, William Thatcher, to answer me with your name!

#100: Star Wars Original Trilogy Limited Edition Steelbook, #200: No freakin' clue.
#300: Sucker Punch San Diego Comic-Con Exclusive Steelbook - 900 Print Run, #400: From Up On Poppy Hill
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #1802
Power Member

May 2014
The Idyllic Amish Farmlands of Lancaster County, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Looks like Grave of the Fireflies is the only one I'm missing.

Does that one have a slip? The listing at Amazon seem to not have one.
No - it's a Sentai release... They have no idea what slips are. OR, maybe they think O-sleeves suck as bad as I think they do, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
I watched Tales of Earthsea the other day and must admit it's underrated. The film isn't nearly as taut as elder Miyazaki's titles, but it's rather beautifully animated (nice architecture in places as well), has some compelling character moments, and builds the story in a fairly organic manner that doesn't feel forced. I also appreciated the film touching on slavery and the substance "Hazia" and its ill effects. Few animated films dare to even tiptoe around these topics at all.

Obviously it's not a perfect film. Some downsides in the film might be:

[Show spoiler]
  • Failure to incorporate more dragons into the film (which is always a good opportunity as everybody loves dragons), although it's clear from the dialogue that dragons are more symbolic than literal manifestations.
  • Sparing amounts of violence, yet when violence occurs it's generally shocking, brutal, and bloody or lethal.
  • Cob is perhaps a bit too creepy, zany, and manic at times.
  • Combining the two above points, this one is NOT for the kids like much of the rest of Ghibli canon is.
  • The pacing is languorous at times, yet at others it feels like time isn't well-represented and moves too quickly.
  • Not enough back story on Cob, Sparrowhawk, etc. A good flashback or two could have really helped things out and given us a bit more investment in the finale. It was also rather unfortunate that Sparrowhawk was unable to flex his full prowess at any point in the film, which combined with the lack of more dragons on display, is opportunity lost, I think.
  • The "true name" concept was interesting, yet the method of action wasn't very well described.
  • Failure to better flesh out Arren's reasons for murder. Additionally, having your protagonist commit murder makes it difficult for the audience to identify with him. I took it that Arren's actions represents the mistakes we all make, and then want to hide from (which can bring us to more danger), but I still think more exposition was necessary here.

I really did enjoy the film, and I think it carries with it the desire to send a message about the way we live and act, and I enjoyed that aspect very much. The film seems to be more a metaphorical work than a literal one, and on that level I think it works. Taken literally, perhaps it doesn't work as well, but for me I couldn't help but enjoy its approach.

I mean, is there really something so wrong with a film that asks us to
[Show spoiler]face our demons, accept death, avoid hazardous substances, fight for our freedom, expose our vulnerabilities to someone we can really trust, embrace our potential despite our mistakes, and assume responsibility for our actions?

Like the film or not, it's hard to argue that it doesn't carry with it a lot of heavy subject matter and attempts to say something real somewhere in all of it rather than just tell us a cute story.
Hooray, someone else who appreciates Earthsea...
Girls with Guns Avatar: Kirika from Noir
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #1803

Oct 2010
The Milky Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Sorry, was looking around and it looks like that title is definitely OOP now - the Hardcover is going for $100-$280 for used and $250-$350 new now... friggin' scalpers. Looks like you can still get the paperback version at Amazon and B&N for $12.00...
I got the hardcover version, but I don't think you miss out on anything with the softcover. But make sure you the the HC version of Turning Point before the same thing happens.

The 3rd edition of the Anime Encyclopedia has just been released in a HC edition and it's going for around $100 so I'll be holding of for the softcover version. I also think there is a digital edition as well that can be updated which I might look into.
It's only a movie.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #1804

Apr 2012
Bumf*ck Nowhere, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginarion View Post
Could some kind soul perhaps compile a list of all Studio Ghibli films (and important pre-Ghibli films with Miyazaki and/or Takahata involved) and whether or not they've been released on BD domestically in the first post? I think that would help much of us out quite a bit.
This is a spreadsheet I made for myself a while back. It may or may not be totally accurate.

Last edited by prophetic; 02-24-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Thanks given by:
bkhage01 (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #1805

Nov 2014
Midwest

Thanks for the spreadsheet, prophetic. That list is accurate! I've compiled a list of all Studio Ghibli feature films and pre-Ghibli films with involvement from either Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata. Highlighted in green indicates the film has been released or is slated to be released in the U.S., red indicates that it has not. Hope this helps!

STUDIO GHIBLI
01 -- Castle in the Sky (1986) (Miyazaki)
02 -- Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (Takahata)
03 -- My Neighbor Totoro (1988) (Miyazaki)
04 -- Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) (Miyazaki)

05 -- Only Yesterday (1991) (Takahata)
06 -- Porco Rosso (1992) (Miyazaki)
07 -- Ocean Waves (1993) (Mochizuki)
08 -- Pom Poko (1994) (Takahata)
09 -- Whisper of the Heart (1995) (Kondo)
10 -- Princess Mononoke (1997) (Miyazaki)

11 -- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999) (Takahata)
12 -- Spirited Away (2001) (Miyazaki)
13 -- The Cat Returns (2002) (Morita)

14 -- Howl's Moving Castle (2004) (Miyazaki)
15 -- Tales from Earthsea (2006) (G. Miyazaki)
16 -- Ponyo (2008) (Miyazaki)
17 -- The Secret World of Arrietty (2010) (Yonebayashi)
18 -- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) (G. Miyazaki)
19 -- The Wind Rises (2013) (Miyazaki)
20 -- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) (Takahata)

21 -- When Marnie Was There (2014) (Yonebayashi)

PRE-GHIBLI
01 -- The Little Princess and the Eight-Headed Dragon (1963) (Serikawa)
02 -- Gulliver's Travels Beyond the Moon (1965) (Kuroda)
03 -- The Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun (1968) (Takahata)
04 -- The Wonderful World of Puss 'n Boots (1969) (Yabuki)
05 -- Animal Treasure Island (1971) (Ikeda)
06 -- The Three Musketeers in Boots (1972) (Katsumata)
07 -- Panda! Go, Panda! (1972) (Takahata)
08 -- Panda! Go, Panda! The Rainy Day Circus (1973) (Takahata)
09 -- Puss 'n Boots Travels Around the World (1976) (Shidara)
10 -- Taro, the Dragon Boy (1979) (Urayama)

11 -- The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) (Miyazaki)
12 -- Jarinko Chie (1981) (Takahata)
13 -- Space Adventure Cobra (1982) (Dezaki)
14 -- Gauche the Cellist (1982) (Takahata)

15 -- Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (1984) (Miyazaki)
Thanks given by:
Jafar (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #1806

Mar 2013
Florida

My Nausicaa from Amazon arrived a few days ago with no slip. Waited too long to upgrade from dvd on it. I'm sad now...
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #1807
Special Member

Nov 2009

Just received this. Still can't believe I got it dirt cheap. Case and DVD are in mint condition for a "used" copy.

Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60 - Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 - (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, (Rears) Infinity P163's
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #1808
Power Member

May 2014
The Idyllic Amish Farmlands of Lancaster County, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginarion View Post
Thanks for the spreadsheet, prophetic. That list is accurate! I've compiled a list of all Studio Ghibli feature films and pre-Ghibli films with involvement from either Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata. Highlighted in green indicates the film has been released or is slated to be released in the U.S., red indicates that it has not. Hope this helps!

[Show spoiler]STUDIO GHIBLI
01 -- Castle in the Sky (1986) (Miyazaki)
02 -- Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (Takahata)
03 -- My Neighbor Totoro (1988) (Miyazaki)
04 -- Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) (Miyazaki)

05 -- Only Yesterday (1991) (Takahata)
06 -- Porco Rosso (1992) (Miyazaki)
07 -- Ocean Waves (1993) (Mochizuki)
08 -- Pom Poko (1994) (Takahata)
09 -- Whisper of the Heart (1995) (Kondo)
10 -- Princess Mononoke (1997) (Miyazaki)

11 -- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999) (Takahata)
12 -- Spirited Away (2001) (Miyazaki)
13 -- The Cat Returns (2002) (Morita)

14 -- Howl's Moving Castle (2004) (Miyazaki)
15 -- Tales from Earthsea (2006) (G. Miyazaki)
16 -- Ponyo (2008) (Miyazaki)
17 -- The Secret World of Arrietty (2010) (Yonebayashi)
18 -- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) (G. Miyazaki)
19 -- The Wind Rises (2013) (Miyazaki)
20 -- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) (Takahata)

21 -- When Marnie Was There (2014) (Yonebayashi)

PRE-GHIBLI
01 -- The Little Princess and the Eight-Headed Dragon (1963) (Serikawa)
02 -- Gulliver's Travels Beyond the Moon (1965) (Kuroda)
03 -- The Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun (1968) (Takahata)
04 -- The Wonderful World of Puss 'n Boots (1969) (Yabuki)
05 -- Animal Treasure Island (1971) (Ikeda)
06 -- The Three Musketeers in Boots (1972) (Katsumata)
07 -- Panda! Go, Panda! (1972) (Takahata)
08 -- Panda! Go, Panda! The Rainy Day Circus (1973) (Takahata)
09 -- Puss 'n Boots Travels Around the World (1976) (Shidara)
10 -- Taro, the Dragon Boy (1979) (Urayama)

11 -- The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) (Miyazaki)
12 -- Jarinko Chie (1981) (Takahata)
13 -- Space Adventure Cobra (1982) (Dezaki)
14 -- Gauche the Cellist (1982) (Takahata)

15 -- Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (1984) (Miyazaki)

So... I'm anxiously waiting for the JP Ghibli silhouette release of Space Adventure Cobra...

They'll probably release that one about the same time as Ocean Waves...
Girls with Guns Avatar: Kirika from Noir

Last edited by Girls With Guns; Today at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #1809

Mar 2014

Does anyone know of the cheapest place to buy the JP Blu ray of The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness? I'm collecting the NA Ghibli Blu rays and can't stand adding a DVD to the collection. Plus the JP Blu of TKoDaM is English friendly, so I can't resist. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #1810
Power Member

Jul 2012
ND, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbates07 View Post
Does anyone know of the cheapest place to buy the JP Blu ray of The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness? I'm collecting the NA Ghibli Blu rays and can't stand adding a DVD to the collection. Plus the JP Blu of TKoDaM is English friendly, so I can't resist. Thanks for the help!
Probably Amazon JP as usual. Can anyone confirm that the bonus features on the JP BD of TKoDaM are also English subtitled? Cause the US DVD has both of the Bonus Features with English subs.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #1811
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
Probably Amazon JP as usual. Can anyone confirm that the bonus features on the JP BD of TKoDaM are also English subtitled? Cause the US DVD has both of the Bonus Features with English subs.
I'm pretty sure the extras are not subtitled. If the extras aren't subtitled on the JP Blu-ray you could always customize the release by using a two-disc case with both the JP Blu-ray and US DVD inside.
Old Today, 03:31 AM   #1812

Mar 2014

Have any other early Miyazaki titles besides Castle of Cagliostro made it to blu ray yet?
Old Today, 04:33 AM   #1813
Special Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbates07 View Post
Have any other early Miyazaki titles besides Castle of Cagliostro made it to blu ray yet?
Well, Cagliostro is his debut film as director so any early films will have him as animator or another position. I just know he worked in Heidi and Horus (both directed by Takahata) but none of them are on BD.
Pre-Ordered: Mockingjay, part 1, The Boxtrolls, Whiplash, Into the Woods, Interstellar.
Twitter.com/maac027

www.a113animation.com
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime