Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
DC Starter Pack (Blu-ray)
$46.49
Supergirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.85
The Flash: The Complete First Season w/ Figurine (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Arrow: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$51.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Conjuring 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$58.89
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #9421
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Okay, I fibbed about finishing the set. I skipped Crystal Skull, but just decided to watch it. The disc is defective. Theres like a scratch below the scratch proof coating. I have had this set since 2013. Buy over and swap discs, return old? The bonus disc looks like it has a similar issue. Contact Paramount for replacement discs? I hope disc labels havent changed and I have a weird set...
Wanted:
Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcover: 'A Clockwork Orange'
Criterion: 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Disney UK 3D slipcover for 'Frozen'
Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #9422
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerThompson View Post
It's got fantastic sequences but gets boring around the middle. People forget but it was maligned by fans as much as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull at the time.
Gotta disagree, it definitely was not maligned by fans as much as KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. There were some critics who didn't like it, there was a load of controversy over the PG rating, and there was a general sense of disappointment that it wasn't on the level of the original -- but by and large, audiences still liked it and flocked to it. Certainly ToD was not as universally disliked by fans as much as KOTCS was/is. Not even close.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #9423
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Gotta disagree, it definitely was not maligned by fans as much as KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. There were some critics who didn't like it, there was a load of controversy over the PG rating, and there was a general sense of disappointment that it wasn't on the level of the original -- but by and large, audiences still liked it and flocked to it. Certainly ToD was not as universally disliked by fans as much as KOTCS was/is. Not even close.
Crystal Skull was NOT universally disliked at the time of release, reviews were generally positive.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #9424
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Crystal Skull was NOT universally disliked at the time of release, reviews were generally positive.
By fans? We're talking fans, not critics. Maybe I drift in different circles but nobody I know disliked ToD when it was first released the way they did Crystal Skull. From all the CGI to Shia's casting, the hardcore Indiana Jones fans I'm friendly with pretty much hated it across the board.

Last edited by DMRI2006; 04-28-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #9425
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
By fans? We're talking fans, not critics. Maybe I drift in different circles but nobody I know disliked ToD when it was first released the way they did Crystal Skull. From all the CGI to Shia's casting, the hardcore Indiana Jones fans I'm friendly with pretty much hated it across the board.
Well I can't speak to ToD since it came out before my time, but I remember most people I knew generally liking Crystal Skull (though with reservations, and the "B" Cinemascore indicates pretty much the same thing). It was only when it started to get picked apart online that the general consensus among fans really plummeted.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #9426
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
Well I can't speak to ToD since it came out before my time, but I remember most people I knew generally liking Crystal Skull (though with reservations, and the "B" Cinemascore indicates pretty much the same thing). It was only when it started to get picked apart online that the general consensus among fans really plummeted.
Gotcha. I don't think it took that long for fans to dislike it. People went out to see it and it made money, but you're right, the mediocre Cinemascore grade was early evidence of how most people -- fans especially -- felt about it. I mean, I had the same reaction to it -- CGI Gopher, etc. -- when I was sitting there on opening day that I did for Attack of the Clones...and it didn't feel good, unfortunately
Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #9427
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
Gotcha. I don't think it took that long for fans to dislike it. People went out to see it and it made money, but you're right, the mediocre Cinemascore grade was early evidence of how most people -- fans especially -- felt about it. I mean, I had the same reaction to it -- CGI Gopher, etc. -- when I was sitting there on opening day that I did for Attack of the Clones...and it didn't feel good, unfortunately
I remember really hating the first 20 minutes or so of the movie (up through nuking the fridge) and was preparing myself for two more hours of torture, but the rest of the movie settled into a rhythm and I ended up enjoying it. Having seen it a couple more times now, the beginning doesn't bother me nearly as much but other parts of the movie do; I still like the movie overall but it's easily the worst of the four. Had they relied less on CGI and gotten rid of the fridge and Tarzan gags, this would be right up there with the other three.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #9428
Special Member

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Rotten Tomatoes has a pretty broad swath of critics now including some fan-based blogs in addition to professional critics, so I think it's a pretty good indicator of how well a movie is received. It is a decidedly VOCAL minority that tells us KOTCS and Revenge Of The Sith are universally reviled, but it's just not the case.

One's circle of friends is just that. Limited. There were many critics who like The Fast And The Furious movies. That's cool. My circle of friends thinks theyre totally disposable. But that's not the way the everyone sees it.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #9429
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
Had they relied less on CGI and gotten rid of the fridge and Tarzan gags, this would be right up there with the other three.
For me the problems were larger than just the CGI appearance to it, though it certainly didn't help. The script was the big problem. The mid-section of the film is crushingly dull, the supporting characters have none of the color or interest as the prior films (Cate Blanchett was a disappointment, etc.). LaBeouf is LaBeouf, I've never been a fan of his. Karen Allen's return really had no payoff and she looked awkward after not being on-screen for so long. Connery's absence was sorely felt...it just was a real drag for me. I've tried to go back to it, but it's pretty much DOA, and I'm surprised they're attempting another one, unless it's just to make amends for how disappointing it was (and also, of course, make lots of money for Steven and Harrison in the process lol).
Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #9430
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
For me the problems were larger than just the CGI appearance to it, though it certainly didn't help. The script was the big problem. The mid-section of the film is crushingly dull, the supporting characters have none of the color or interest as the prior films (Cate Blanchett was a disappointment, etc.). LaBeouf is LaBeouf, I've never been a fan of his. Karen Allen's return really had no payoff and she looked awkward after not being on-screen for so long. Connery's absence was sorely felt...it just was a real drag for me. I've tried to go back to it, but it's pretty much DOA, and I'm surprised they're attempting another one, unless it's just to make amends for how disappointing it was (and also, of course, make lots of money for Steven and Harrison in the process lol).
I didn't have a problem with the supporting cast except Ray Winstone, who was completely useless to the movie. But for all the movie's faults, it at least ended the series; Indy's married, he walks off, he keeps his fedora from Mutt, and we close curtain. Bringing it back for one last hurrah smacks of a cash-grab/placating Ford's desire to do "just one more." I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America