Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Girlfriend Experience: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
$79.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #9421
DMRI2006 DMRI2006 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2009
99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Crystal Skull was NOT universally disliked at the time of release, reviews were generally positive.
By fans? We're talking fans, not critics. Maybe I drift in different circles but nobody I know disliked ToD when it was first released the way they did Crystal Skull. From all the CGI to Shia's casting, the hardcore Indiana Jones fans I'm friendly with pretty much hated it across the board.

Last edited by DMRI2006; 04-28-2016 at 02:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #9422
imsounoriginal imsounoriginal is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
imsounoriginal's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
US of A
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
By fans? We're talking fans, not critics. Maybe I drift in different circles but nobody I know disliked ToD when it was first released the way they did Crystal Skull. From all the CGI to Shia's casting, the hardcore Indiana Jones fans I'm friendly with pretty much hated it across the board.
Well I can't speak to ToD since it came out before my time, but I remember most people I knew generally liking Crystal Skull (though with reservations, and the "B" Cinemascore indicates pretty much the same thing). It was only when it started to get picked apart online that the general consensus among fans really plummeted.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #9423
DMRI2006 DMRI2006 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2009
99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Well I can't speak to ToD since it came out before my time, but I remember most people I knew generally liking Crystal Skull (though with reservations, and the "B" Cinemascore indicates pretty much the same thing). It was only when it started to get picked apart online that the general consensus among fans really plummeted.
Gotcha. I don't think it took that long for fans to dislike it. People went out to see it and it made money, but you're right, the mediocre Cinemascore grade was early evidence of how most people -- fans especially -- felt about it. I mean, I had the same reaction to it -- CGI Gopher, etc. -- when I was sitting there on opening day that I did for Attack of the Clones...and it didn't feel good, unfortunately
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #9424
imsounoriginal imsounoriginal is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
imsounoriginal's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
US of A
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Gotcha. I don't think it took that long for fans to dislike it. People went out to see it and it made money, but you're right, the mediocre Cinemascore grade was early evidence of how most people -- fans especially -- felt about it. I mean, I had the same reaction to it -- CGI Gopher, etc. -- when I was sitting there on opening day that I did for Attack of the Clones...and it didn't feel good, unfortunately
I remember really hating the first 20 minutes or so of the movie (up through nuking the fridge) and was preparing myself for two more hours of torture, but the rest of the movie settled into a rhythm and I ended up enjoying it. Having seen it a couple more times now, the beginning doesn't bother me nearly as much but other parts of the movie do; I still like the movie overall but it's easily the worst of the four. Had they relied less on CGI and gotten rid of the fridge and Tarzan gags, this would be right up there with the other three.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #9425
happydood happydood is offline
Special Member
 
happydood's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Los Angeles
312
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Gotcha. I don't think it took that long for fans to dislike it. People went out to see it and it made money, but you're right, the mediocre Cinemascore grade was early evidence of how most people -- fans especially -- felt about it. I mean, I had the same reaction to it -- CGI Gopher, etc. -- when I was sitting there on opening day that I did for Attack of the Clones...and it didn't feel good, unfortunately
Rotten Tomatoes has a pretty broad swath of critics now including some fan-based blogs in addition to professional critics, so I think it's a pretty good indicator of how well a movie is received. It is a decidedly VOCAL minority that tells us KOTCS and Revenge Of The Sith are universally reviled, but it's just not the case.

One's circle of friends is just that. Limited. There were many critics who like The Fast And The Furious movies. That's cool. My circle of friends thinks theyre totally disposable. But that's not the way the everyone sees it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #9426
DMRI2006 DMRI2006 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2009
99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Had they relied less on CGI and gotten rid of the fridge and Tarzan gags, this would be right up there with the other three.
For me the problems were larger than just the CGI appearance to it, though it certainly didn't help. The script was the big problem. The mid-section of the film is crushingly dull, the supporting characters have none of the color or interest as the prior films (Cate Blanchett was a disappointment, etc.). LaBeouf is LaBeouf, I've never been a fan of his. Karen Allen's return really had no payoff and she looked awkward after not being on-screen for so long. Connery's absence was sorely felt...it just was a real drag for me. I've tried to go back to it, but it's pretty much DOA, and I'm surprised they're attempting another one, unless it's just to make amends for how disappointing it was (and also, of course, make lots of money for Steven and Harrison in the process lol).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #9427
imsounoriginal imsounoriginal is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
imsounoriginal's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
US of A
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
For me the problems were larger than just the CGI appearance to it, though it certainly didn't help. The script was the big problem. The mid-section of the film is crushingly dull, the supporting characters have none of the color or interest as the prior films (Cate Blanchett was a disappointment, etc.). LaBeouf is LaBeouf, I've never been a fan of his. Karen Allen's return really had no payoff and she looked awkward after not being on-screen for so long. Connery's absence was sorely felt...it just was a real drag for me. I've tried to go back to it, but it's pretty much DOA, and I'm surprised they're attempting another one, unless it's just to make amends for how disappointing it was (and also, of course, make lots of money for Steven and Harrison in the process lol).
I didn't have a problem with the supporting cast except Ray Winstone, who was completely useless to the movie. But for all the movie's faults, it at least ended the series; Indy's married, he walks off, he keeps his fedora from Mutt, and we close curtain. Bringing it back for one last hurrah smacks of a cash-grab/placating Ford's desire to do "just one more." I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting it.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:36 AM   #9428
Chumpster99 Chumpster99 is offline
Member
 
Chumpster99's Avatar
 
May 2016
85
Default

So I went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in a theatre just this night, as every month they have a "classic presentation". It was definitely either the same source as the HDTV version, or very very close. It doesn't have the blu-ray's colour timing or the odd differences like the plane's reflections in the water. At the same time it also didn't have the reviled CGI cliff changes that made it into HDTV broadcasts. Interesting stuff.

It looked quite good, grain and all. Shots with dissolves, and other transitions were much less impressive but that's to be expected. Would've much rather the blu-ray have been from that source rather than what we got.

Last edited by Chumpster99; 08-18-2016 at 04:40 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #9429
spanky87 spanky87 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
spanky87's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada
33
2245
622
3
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Well I can't speak to ToD since it came out before my time, but I remember most people I knew generally liking Crystal Skull (though with reservations, and the "B" Cinemascore indicates pretty much the same thing). It was only when it started to get picked apart online that the general consensus among fans really plummeted.
And the episode of South Park depicting Lucas and Spielberg raping Indiana Jones certainly didn't help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #9430
Meta Jon Meta Jon is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2009
228
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpster99 View Post
So I went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in a theatre just this night, as every month they have a "classic presentation". It was definitely either the same source as the HDTV version, or very very close. It doesn't have the blu-ray's colour timing or the odd differences like the plane's reflections in the water. At the same time it also didn't have the reviled CGI cliff changes that made it into HDTV broadcasts. Interesting stuff.

It looked quite good, grain and all. Shots with dissolves, and other transitions were much less impressive but that's to be expected. Would've much rather the blu-ray have been from that source rather than what we got.
Hey I just went and saw it this evening too with my son
Can't think of a better way to spend an evening
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #9431
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpster99 View Post
So I went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in a theatre just this night, as every month they have a "classic presentation". It was definitely either the same source as the HDTV version, or very very close. It doesn't have the blu-ray's colour timing or the odd differences like the plane's reflections in the water. At the same time it also didn't have the reviled CGI cliff changes that made it into HDTV broadcasts. Interesting stuff.

It looked quite good, grain and all. Shots with dissolves, and other transitions were much less impressive but that's to be expected. Would've much rather the blu-ray have been from that source rather than what we got.
Was this a DCP viewing? I saw a DCP viewing last year and it was definitely the same source as the Blu.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #9432
Chumpster99 Chumpster99 is offline
Member
 
Chumpster99's Avatar
 
May 2016
85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Was this a DCP viewing? I saw a DCP viewing last year and it was definitely the same source as the Blu.
It definitely wasn't on film, yes. I went to see it at the local Cineplex theatre, as that's the major theatre chain here in Canada, and there's almost no way I can imagine they would bother with trying to show anything on film anyways. ( though I certainly wish they would! )
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #9433
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpster99 View Post
It definitely wasn't on film, yes. I went to see it at the local Cineplex theatre, as that's the major theatre chain here in Canada, and there's almost no way I can imagine they would bother with trying to show anything on film anyways. ( though I certainly wish they would! )
I keep my eye out for the slim possibility of being able to see a 35mm viewing locally at some point.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #9434
SuperFlyHighGuy SuperFlyHighGuy is offline
Senior Member
 
SuperFlyHighGuy's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
north star
197
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I keep my eye out for the slim possibility of being able to see a 35mm viewing locally at some point.
Same here. I thought about going to see Raiders at my local theater this week too, but can't get too excited to see a blown-up version of the Blu-Ray I have on my shelf.

Plus, the screen they show these on isn't that large anyway. If they showed it on the "Ultra Screen" I'd be more tempted.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:25 AM.