COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cat Planet Cuties: Complete Series S.A.V.E. (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Rob Zombie: The Zombie Horror Picture Show (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Home for Christmas: André Rieu Live In Concert (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #12341
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Watched Aliens again yesterday (theatrical cut, natch). Holy heck, what a transfer. There's soooooo much detail, some of those close-ups of Ripley and Gorman in the APC are astonishing, and it's got a noticeable but not overbearing dusting of grain.

As for the colour timing, it works for me. There's a simple photographic fact that flourescent light reads as green on film, and, that being the '80s, there's a shedload of them used throughout Aliens' set design (and indeed Terminator and Abyss) so the greeny-blue lighting is simply not a concern for me. It's not 100% pervasive either, as there's also white light, blue light, red light, orange light etc in other parts of the film and they look fine to me on my calibrated display.

Obviously I can't speak for other films which were given the green-o-vision treatment (I don't think there were too many tube lights in TGTBATU!), nor will I claim that Aliens was like that in the theater (I didn't see it, I was only 6 at the time!), but there's a sound technical reason for the colour looking like it does.

AMAZING transfer IMO which looked equally astounding upscaled on my 4K TV. I'm struggling to imagine just how better a proper 4K version would be, aside from the hoped-for improvements in colour fidelity.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (08-17-2014), theprestige85 (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #12342

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Watched Aliens again yesterday (theatrical cut, natch). Holy heck, what a transfer. There's soooooo much detail, some of those close-ups of Ripley and Gorman in the APC are astonishing, and it's got a noticeable but not overbearing dusting of grain.

As for the colour timing, it works for me. There's a simple photographic fact that flourescent light reads as green on film, and, that being the '80s, there's a shedload of them used throughout Aliens' set design (and indeed Terminator and Abyss) so the greeny-blue lighting is simply not a concern for me. It's not 100% pervasive either, as there's also white light, blue light, red light, orange light etc in other parts of the film and they look fine to me on my calibrated display.

Obviously I can't speak for other films which were given the green-o-vision treatment (I don't think there were too many tube lights in TGTBATU!), nor will I claim that Aliens was like that in the theater (I didn't see it, I was only 6 at the time!), but there's a sound technical reason for the colour looking like it does.

AMAZING transfer IMO which looked equally astounding upscaled on my 4K TV. I'm struggling to imagine just how better a proper 4K version would be, aside from the hoped-for improvements in colour fidelity.
Aliens does have a great transfer as does Alien. I wanted to ask you how good is the upscaling on a 4K TV? Also, what blu player do you use and how is the 4K upscaling on it? Im trying to get an idea of what to go with for my next TV. Thanks in advance for any answers/ details you can give me.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #12343
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
Aliens does have a great transfer as does Alien.
Yup, I thought Aliens was a lost cause after watching the DVD, that was just a symphony of grain (I can't remember what the problem was, I think they used a new Kodak stock that turned out to be very grainy). I don't know how they did it, but they got rid of most of the grain, but kept a lot of the detail. I don't think it's dated that much, it's still a rollercoaster of a film.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #12344

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
Yup, I thought Aliens was a lost cause after watching the DVD, that was just a symphony of grain (I can't remember what the problem was, I think they used a new Kodak stock that turned out to be very grainy). I don't know how they did it, but they got rid of most of the grain, but kept a lot of the detail. I don't think it's dated that much, it's still a rollercoaster of a film.
I personally like film grain. There's just the comfort of knowing that when a blu is grainy, that the fine detail is intact and hasn't been scrubbed away. I hate DNR/EE with a passion. They did a fantastic job with Aliens, balancing the grain and keeping all the detail. People that love DNR can do that crap with their own sets.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #12345
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
There wasn't a problem as such, Aliens was simply shot on the fastest stock of the period which, like its immediate forebears, was extremely grainy. And the various noise-reduced home video versions like the SE Laserdisc and then the 1999 HD transfer did nothing to change that perception, rendering Aliens with ugly, chunky noise that does a great disservice to the original photography.
Thanks given by:
theprestige85 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #12346
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken we now have the same TV.

I also agree how terrific this version looks, especially compared to what's come before on home video. The first extended LD was near unwatchable. Later they came out with a much better THX LD (with AC-3) and of course the DVD versions, but I haven't been happy with the look of ALIENS until now.

As far as an actual 4K version, since the BD comes from the new 4K master, I'd imagine it would just look slightly more refined, maybe with a higher color range.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #12347
Expert Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Watched Aliens again yesterday (theatrical cut, natch).
Heck yeah theatrical cut. Definitely a movie where the original cut is the best.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #12348
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
If I'm not mistaken we now have the same TV.

I also agree how terrific this version looks, especially compared to what's come before on home video. The first extended LD was near unwatchable. Later they came out with a much better THX LD (with AC-3) and of course the DVD versions, but I haven't been happy with the look of ALIENS until now.

As far as an actual 4K version, since the BD comes from the new 4K master, I'd imagine it would just look slightly more refined, maybe with a higher color range.
We do indeed. And I loved that AC3 LD of Aliens, in some ways I actually preferred it to the DVD.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #12349
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
Aliens does have a great transfer as does Alien. I wanted to ask you how good is the upscaling on a 4K TV? Also, what blu player do you use and how is the 4K upscaling on it? Im trying to get an idea of what to go with for my next TV. Thanks in advance for any answers/ details you can give me.
The upscaling is seamless, essentially. 1920x1080 HD to 3840x2160 UHD is directly proportional so they'd have to work harder to **** it up than to get it right! That said, even decent SD sources look superb, I watched the UK DVD of the theatrical cut of Last of the Mohicans the other day and was very impressed.

I don't use a 4K upscaling player because there's no point, the TV has such a good upscaler it's more important to feed it as good a signal as possible. My player is an Oppo 95.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #12350
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Alien Quadrilogy Artwork:

Looks like it's likely just the 4 films in a standard amaray case.

Source
Do we yet know if it will include the 2 bonus discs?
I really hope so as its so hard to find the "good version" of the Alien Anthology collection brand new and cheaply. This could've been a great solution.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 AM   #12351
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
I really hope so as its so hard to find the "good version" of the Alien Anthology collection brand new and cheaply. This could've been a great solution.
As has been said before: ain't gonna happen at this price. This is the el cheapo solution for those who only want the flicks,
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #12352
Expert Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
What do you mean by "good version?" Surely the slightly smaller Anthology set with the nice cardboard packaging, booklet and bonus discs is still better than this version. And the Anthology can be had for as low as $30 pretty much all the time.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #12353

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
The upscaling is seamless, essentially. 1920x1080 HD to 3840x2160 UHD is directly proportional so they'd have to work harder to **** it up than to get it right! That said, even decent SD sources look superb, I watched the UK DVD of the theatrical cut of Last of the Mohicans the other day and was very impressed.

I don't use a 4K upscaling player because there's no point, the TV has such a good upscaler it's more important to feed it as good a signal as possible. My player is an Oppo 95.
Wow, so it even upscales SD material decent as well? Thanks for the info. I might have to look more into 4k.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #12354
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:

Yep the blu is a revelation compared to that terrible old DVD. Anyone who (still?! yes I think there are some like this out there) doubts the merits of blu-ray over DVD just needs to compare Aliens. Job done!
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America