Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Archer: The Complete Season Five (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.49

The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00
3 hrs ago
American Sniper (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Interview (Blu-ray)
$13.59

2015 Allstate Sugar Bowl (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Massacre Mafia Style (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Book of Life 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$18.90

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #2181
3D Moderator

Jul 2007
Default Fantasia 2 Movie Collection - Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 - November 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
I remember there was a guy that had done this and had uploaded the videos in vimeo.

Are you him?

No. His project was completed in stereo and standard definition. Mine is 6.1 EX, 1080p and has the interstitials cut out completely. His alignment was also a little poor in some sections, though overall he did a very admirable job. Pastoral is the most difficult to align since there are multiple cuts to the audio and video. The digital recordings are about .04 percent too fast for the video so good re-sampling is key!

I've also done a frame by restoration using the German program Diamant of the Claire De Lune sequence using the new 75th soundtrack version and PAL version with slowdown applied to Make Mine Music (higher resolution then NTSC) combined with the DVD file of the deleted sequence from the Fantasia Anthology for the sections that were cut from Make Mine Music to fill in the gaps.
3D TV: Panasonic TC-P58VT25 | RECEIVER: Onkyo TX-SR708 Network 3D Receiver | BLU-RAY: Sony BDP-S780 w 2D to 3D conversion + 120 GB PS3 SLIM w/500GB Hard Drive Mod | DirecTV HD HR-24 3D Receiver | Mac Mini
SPEAKERS: Front - 2 Klipsch WF-34 Cabernet / Rears 4 Klipsch VS-14's / Klipsch WC-24 Center / Klipsch Sub SW-450

Last edited by that1guystudios; 01-22-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Ernest Rister (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #2182
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

speaking of Vimeo - I think it was there that at some point someone had restored ALL of the scenes that were cut / optically zoomed out from the Pastoral Symphony - it was by the most complete restoration of the removed footage - but I can no longer find it online - I assume it was removed (or has it?)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #2183
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
speaking of Vimeo - I think it was there that at some point someone had restored ALL of the scenes that were cut / optically zoomed out from the Pastoral Symphony - it was by the most complete restoration of the removed footage - but I can no longer find it online - I assume it was removed (or has it?)

There are versions available but the sections with the scenes added back in are extremely low resolution and come from a tv broadcast recorded onto videotape. It's almost more distracting then the removal.
3D TV: Panasonic TC-P58VT25 | RECEIVER: Onkyo TX-SR708 Network 3D Receiver | BLU-RAY: Sony BDP-S780 w 2D to 3D conversion + 120 GB PS3 SLIM w/500GB Hard Drive Mod | DirecTV HD HR-24 3D Receiver | Mac Mini
SPEAKERS: Front - 2 Klipsch WF-34 Cabernet / Rears 4 Klipsch VS-14's / Klipsch WC-24 Center / Klipsch Sub SW-450
Old 01-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #2184
Special Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
Uncensored? Maybe (or maybe not) for the Pastoral segment (I wasn't around). But certainly not uncut.

From Wikipedia:
Thank you very much ... and my apologies for bringing this up to others who know this as common knowledge.

Personally, I'd like to see Fantasia as it was originally shown, what might be perceived as warts and all.
So many blurays, so little time.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #2185
Power Member

Jul 2012
ND, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page14 View Post
Thank you very much ... and my apologies for bringing this up to others who know this as common knowledge.

Personally, I'd like to see Fantasia as it was originally shown, what might be perceived as warts and all.

Other than the censoring of the black centaurs (the frame is zoomed in I believe) and the Deem Taylor segments being dubbed by Corey Burton (as reportedly the complete audio tracks to the original narration by Taylor couldn't be found), the 2000 DVD and 2010 BD releases are pretty close to the original roadshow version.
Thanks given by:
Page14 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #2186
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page14 View Post
I haven't been keeping on top of this thread like I should, but I'm assuming the 1982 Fantasia video you're referring to is special because of something like maybe being uncensored?
No, Kostal re-arranged the Pastoral music to cover the shots that were hard-cut. It's not "uncensored". Also, Deems Taylor is missing from the movie. Tim Matheson read Taylor's narration over shots of the orchestra in the version I saw as a 14 year old.

Quote:
Also, I have the 1982 Fantasia 2-disc audio CD set. I'm thinking maybe it's time for an upgrade to the Legacy Collection, if only for the Sterling Holloway additions. He was so unique!
That and the Claire de Lune might make me bite. It's also a lovely package from what I've seen.
Thanks given by:
Page14 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #2187
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Other than the censoring of the black centaurs (the frame is zoomed in I believe) and the Deem Taylor segments being dubbed by Corey Burton (as reportedly the complete audio tracks to the original narration by Taylor couldn't be found), the 2000 DVD and 2010 BD releases are pretty close to the original roadshow version.
for the bluray Disney technicians unzoomed some of the shots but digitally erased sunflower altogether notably when Bacchus and the fauns are climbing the stair and he teeters and falls into the chair - she's supposed to be there at the beginning of the procession; she's the one that unfurls the red carpet, and then tries to push Bacchus back up when he sits in the chair causing it to roll backwards but she pushes it too hard (since the fauns on the front end are also pulling) and it goes back down the stairs.
Thanks given by:
disneywildcat (01-23-2015), Page14 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #2188
Power Member

Jul 2012
ND, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
That and the Claire de Lune might make me bite. It's also a lovely package from what I've seen.

I ordered the Legacy Collection CD during FYE's 30% off promo on MLK day. I'll post some pics of it when I get it.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #2189

Oct 2007
Hollywood, CA

Quote:
I ordered the Legacy Collection CD during FYE's 30% off promo on MLK day. I'll post some pics of it when I get it.
I was just listening to the soundtrack last night while reading through the booklet. There doesn't seem to be any new information in it, but it's done extremely well. Gorgeous artwork (both new and old) throughout. The presentation adds so much to the set and makes it feel special. I only wish there was a digital version of the booklet to enjoy in large format on a Computer or iPad.

Disc 2 has an "app" for the computer. It launches and opens your browser to a page featuring the artwork. There's a short 2 minute video on the artist who's doing all the new album covers and artwork and a customer survey that asks you all the regular questions plus things like, "What's your favorite track from Disc 1?" and offers you a chance to offer suggestions of things you'd like to see the series offer in the future. And that's it. It's obviously not really much of a feature, but some may enjoy providing feedback on the release.

FYI, the Pinocchio Legacy Collection Soundtrack is being released on February 10.
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Panasonic TC-PST60 50" (plasma)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #2190
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityOatyBar View Post
I was just listening to the soundtrack last night while reading through the booklet. There doesn't seem to be any new information in it, but it's done extremely well. Gorgeous artwork (both new and old) throughout. The presentation adds so much to the set and makes it feel special. I only wish there was a digital version of the booklet to enjoy in large format on a Computer or iPad.

Disc 2 has an "app" for the computer. It launches and opens your browser to a page featuring the artwork. There's a short 2 minute video on the artist who's doing all the new album covers and artwork and a customer survey that asks you all the regular questions plus things like, "What's your favorite track from Disc 1?" and offers you a chance to offer suggestions of things you'd like to see the series offer in the future. And that's it. It's obviously not really much of a feature, but some may enjoy providing feedback on the release.

FYI, the Pinocchio Legacy Collection Soundtrack is being released on February 10.
oh I know, I know, I know... can't wait for that!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #2191
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityOatyBar View Post

What I'd like to see next....

Alice in Wonderland (with all the five billion demo songs written for it)
Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros (original and Tutti Camarata versions)
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #2192
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:

Beauty and the Beast for me..
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Thanks given by:
disneywildcat (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #2193
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I really want 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' - that score is so under appreciated. and I'd like the demo version of the deleted song: 'Someday'

The 2015 release schedule for Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection follows:
• Fantasia, January 3, 2015
• Pinocchio, February 3, 2015
• Toy Story, March 17, 2015
• Disneyland, April 7, 2015
• Lady and the Tramp, May 12, 2015
• Pocahontas, June 23, 2015
• The Aristocats, August 14, 2015
• Cinderella, August 14, 2015
Thanks given by:
disneywildcat (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #2194
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I just wish Dumbo on BLU contained the John Canemaker audio commentary track. Reason to hold onto the DVD edition. His commentaries were my favorite on the few he did. He should have been asked to do more esp. on the classic Disney titles.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Thanks given by:
Ernest Rister (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #2195
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:

I want Legacy soundtracks for all the classic Disney that never got CD soundtracks in the past for sure. I would love an expanded Hunchback also and the full MULAN Goldsmith score. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that one comes from INTRADA.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Thanks given by:
Ernest Rister (01-23-2015), PeterTHX (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #2196
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I just wish Dumbo on BLU contained the John Canemaker audio commentary track. Reason to hold onto the DVD edition. His commentaries were my favorite on the few he did. He should have been asked to do more esp. on the classic Disney titles.
No kidding...he was outstanding.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #2197
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I want Legacy soundtracks for all the classic Disney that never got CD soundtracks in the past for sure. I would love an expanded Hunchback also and the full MULAN Goldsmith score. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that one comes from INTRADA.
The Black Cauldron "full release" was sweet, though I question some of the liner notes for one track.

So The AristoCats is getting a Legacy CD release? If you have the old Gold Collection DVD of The Aristocats -- turn on the French language option. You'll hear Maurice Chevalier (who came out of retirement to work on the film) perform the title song in his native French. That's going to be a lock as a bonus track on the CDs.
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (01-23-2015)
Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM   #2198
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

Even though I like and am buying all the titles in the Legacy Collection, I'm really disappointed in a lot of it. The collection gives us newly remastered complete scores for The Little Mermaid and The Lion King, but all the other ones so far (Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins) are basically repackaged versions of the soundtracks that have been around for years, just with new bonus discs added. The same looks to be true of Pinocchio based on its press release which is a shame. On top of that, The Little Mermaid set has two really sloppy editing errors on it (one in "Part of Your World" of all things and one during that song's finale reprise).

I still want the line to continue since it seems like Disney's willing to do remasters on scores released after Walt's lifetime, and that would mean complete scores for The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Beauty and the Beast next year for their 20th and 25th anniversaries next year, respectively. It would also mean a release for Alice in Wonderland's 65th, but since I'm expecting them to just recycle the current soundtrack for disc one, that set's appeal lies in disc two for me. I doubt they'll give us all the song demos since the ones on the laserdisc add up to about 90 minutes. They'll likely pick maybe 5 of those and then re-record them for The Lost Chords.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM   #2199

Sep 2014
Brazil

I've never seen Fantasia or Fantasia 2000, but, yesterday I watched an unboxing for this edition and it is so pretty.
Though, Sorcerer Mickey was always my fav. image from Disney.
''You sold your soul to the devil when you put on your first pair of Jimmy Choo's, I saw it.'' - Emily Charlton
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America