Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
I, Robot 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Say
$29.99
The Assassins (Blu-ray)
$6.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #721
Expert Member

Jul 2010
Coventry, UK

I've read through most of this thread but still can't find any in depth talk confirmation between releases.

I've actually just purchased the Alliance version from iNetVideo but I actually already own the UK releases of Oldboy and Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance. The only reason I haven't picked up the UK version of Lady Vengeance is because it only has the 'fade to black' version and not both like the US and Canadian releases.

Would like to sell those to recoup some costs but can't find any info online to know if the transfers and/or encodes are the same. I don't have a drive to scan the discs myself.

According to AVSForum (in the technical specifications thread) the original US and UK encodes of Oldboy are identical. Some have said in this thread that the Oldboy disc in the trilogy box is the exact same encode as the first US release, has this been confirmed 100%?

Regarding Mr. Vengeance, I have managed to find a BD Scan of the UK release but nothing for the US/Canadian release. Same with Lady Vengeance.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. I can post the BD Scans of those I mentioned above if need be.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #722

Sep 2009
Default Subtitle differences?

I got the Alliance version yesterday and I noticed some subtitle quirks. At least on Oldboy, it clearly has UK subtitles because it uses the word "arse" instead of "ass". I didn't watch the whole movie but I remember back when I first watched it on DVD, during the Octopus scene the translation says "I want to eat something alive," and here it says "I want to eat a living thing." Does anyone who has seen both the US and the Canadian version know how different the subtitles are?

Last edited by Vauba; 06-15-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #723
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauba View Post
******** instead of *******
Old 06-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #724
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
I got the Alliance version yesterday and I noticed some subtitle quirks. At least on Oldboy, it clearly has UK subtitles because it uses the word "arse" instead of "ass". I didn't watch the whole movie but I remember back when I first watched it on DVD, during the Octopus scene the translation says "I want to eat something alive," and here it says "I want to eat a living thing." Does anyone who has seen both the US and the Canadian version know how different the subtitles are?
I watched the US version of Lady Vengeance recently (I wanted to check out the 'fade to black an white" version), and I noticed some British spellings in the subtitles. They probably ported the subtitles from the UK release.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #725
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Mine arrived yesterday, can't wait to tuck in.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #726

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Apparently certain words are censored by default. I edited it shortly after so it now makes sense.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #727

Jun 2010

Quote:
I actually just came into this thread to ask of the Alliance version uses the word "arse", which thanks to your post I now know it does.

I don't know how the two differ, but I can confirm that the US version also has "arse" so I'm assuming the two BDs use the exact same subtitles (probably) lifted right from the UK release, which is not the same as Tartan's US DVD. Too bad, I found it kind of annoying and was hoping an upgrade to the Canadian version would fix that. I didn't really care for the font they went with for Oldboy either.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #728

Jul 2012

Amazon currently has the trilogy at 62% off. Sweet deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Vengeance-Tril...chan+wook+park
Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #729

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrarymadness View Post
The Trilogy is currently listed at 62% off on BD over at Amazon.
Man I wish I didn't spend all my money on Barnes and noble sale
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #730

Feb 2010

I got mine off of amazon and got it on christmas my slip box was a little damage and the second disc for Lady Veneagence front part is crack I want to send it back to amazon but cant right now because there sold out of them
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #731

Sep 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

ive seen sympathy for lady vengeance so many times, but just wanted to pop up and say i'm glad i've finally seen the fade to black and white version!

so glad this trilogy release included that version
Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #732
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimurph1 View Post
ive seen sympathy for lady vengeance so many times, but just wanted to pop up and say i'm glad i've finally seen the fade to black and white version!

so glad this trilogy release included that version
Agreed. I was living in South Korea when Lady Vengeance (which was called Sympathy for Lady Vengeance in English there) was released theatrically and on DVD. I promptly purchased the limited edition 2-disc DVD set as soon as it was released there, and it included the fading version. That's been my preferred version since I saw it for the first time. It adds so much more to the film in my opinion, and I was ecstatic to be able to have it on Blu-ray when this set was released.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #733

Feb 2011

Is this OOP? There are none available through Amazon directly, and the cheapest one on the Marketplace is $70. I searched on eBay and the listings were around $100.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #734
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
Is this OOP? There are none available through Amazon directly, and the cheapest one on the Marketplace is $70. I searched on eBay and the listings were around $100.
I'm not sure if it's OOP or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

It's backordered, but it's currently still available to order directly from Best Buy for $59.99.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #735
Expert Member

Aug 2010
Baker,Florida

I've recently been cleaning up/going through my movies and realized that I had 2 copies of the unopened tin from Best Buy.I remember buying one directly from Best Buy just to keep.A couple months later I wanted to buy the standard release and ordered it off Amazon.To my surprise...they sent me a tin copy!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #736

Jun 2013
Loiza, PR

I opened my tin case today and I got Lady Vengeance on the MR. Vengeance case. And no MR anywhere. Can't do anything about it, because I bought it a long time ago. Can't find the MR. bluray without the other 2.

PS: I ordered Che on that Criterion sale and disc one was missing. That's my luck.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America