Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Banshee: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
It Follows (Blu-ray)
$14.84
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$48.35
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Earthflight: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$19.94
The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Banshee: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
House of Cards: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 AM   #181

May 2013

I'm waiting for this title to drop under $10 again. I missed it the last time it was on sale for that cheap.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #182
Power Member

Nov 2008
In the Home Theater

I finally watched this release and I am curious why the review on this site states that this release is in Mono when it is actually Stereo. One only needs to listen to the music in the opening credits that wraps into the surrounds.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #183

Dec 2011

Bought this disc ages ago and finally got around to viewing it last night after the TCM presentation had me wondering whether or not they were showing the Blu-Ray version. I had hoped they weren't but apparently they were. While some parts of it look better than previous DVDs (it could hardly fail to do otherwise), how this movie is scoring a four on PQ dumbfounds me. As many others have said the night scenes are little more than a sea of murk. I'm not even going to get involved in the "day for night" shooting technique argument. Who cares when it looks horrific? The trailers look better than this so called restoration. I'm starting to wonder if there is anyone out there that can get this movie right? And the artwork on the cover of this release is laughably amateurish! Who dreamt that up? And what movie did that picture of Ladd on the back come from?
Old 04-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #184

May 2011
Default I finally have it!

My favorite western is now better than it was on releasing in 1953. The image and sound are like it never have been. I was a kid in the 50's and you can imagine my happiness...

Last edited by Elias Duque; 04-11-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Thanks given by:
BrianS (04-11-2015), ilovenola2 (04-10-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #185

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydepst View Post
While some parts of it look better than previous DVDs (it could hardly fail to do otherwise), how this movie is scoring a four on PQ dumbfounds me. As many others have said the night scenes are little more than a sea of murk. I'm not even going to get involved in the "day for night" shooting technique argument. Who cares when it looks horrific? The trailers look better than this so called restoration. I'm starting to wonder if there is anyone out there that can get this movie right?
It's pretty much a perfect blu-ray. Every respectable person in and out of the business who has an original dye transfer print has praised it for its accuracy. And everyone in the business from a technical standpoint says its as good as it gets restoration wise--perfection. And it certainly looks great on my system.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #186

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Duque View Post
My favorite western is now better than it was on releasing in 1953. The image and sound are like it never have been. I was a kid in the 50's and you can imagine my happiness...
I've always loved this film--not just a great western, but one of the great classics.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #187
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
I've always loved this film--not just a great western, but one of the great classics.
I agree. Not only one of the best westerns ever made.. Shane is one of the best pictures ever filmed. Period. A must own for any serious film buff. And the Blu-ray is outstanding.
Drink up, me arties, Yo Ho……

Sony KDSR70XBR2 70", Pioneer Elite BDP95FD Blu Ray player, Pioneer Elite VSX92THX Receiver, SVS 5.1 Speaker System: SVS MTS-01 (Left and Right), SVS MCS-01 (Center), SVS MBS-01 (Surrounds), SVS PB13 Ultra (Sub)
Thanks given by:
BrianS (04-12-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 04:29 AM   #188
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Mexico

Wow i just watched this film i am very troubled as to not only why is it considered almost the best western, but one of the greatest films of all time?

I don't mean that it totally sucks, there were some good things it's just that i couldn't get past the wooden and over acting and that annoying kid (how can someone shot the scene of his face after Shane is teaching him how to shoot and think that is alright is beyond me, they must have been running out of film stock), also it didn't help that after 10 minutes i already knew what was going to be the plot of the whole film.

Even for it's time, it came after films like Stagecoach, The Ox-Bow Incident, My Darling Clementine, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Red River and High Noon, i just don't see why this movie transcended.

I personally would put it more on par with a western like John Ford Drum's Along the Mohawk which i don't think it's a classic.

Well at least George Stevens totally redeemed himself after making Giant three years after this.

End of rant, some positives, i think Jack Palance stole all the scenes were he appears, too bad they aren't many,
[Show spoiler]also the funeral scene had some great shots of the dog

Last edited by pedromvu; 05-25-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America