Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Senran Kagura Ninja Flash!: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.29
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexlerMcStyles View Post
no subs. you seem to speak pretty good english though.....
It's not that, but thanks. I have issues with my ears and occasionally my hearing isn't as good as it should be, so subs are always nice to have to fall back on if I miss a line.

I tend to refuse to buy anything without them, but I may have to break down and make an exception one of these days if it's something I really want (like The Dick Van Dyke Show or Jersey Girl). This would have been an automatic blind buy if it was from Lionsgate, but I still might break down and get it.
Last Watched: Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season (Episodes 3 & 4)
Last Bought: Snowpiercer
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Special Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexlerMcStyles View Post
Nope. Just like the DVD, during the intro credits the image doesnt entirely fill the screen. On the DVD there are really small black bars on both sides. On the blu-ray theres only a small black bar on the left. When the movie starts it fills in. However, I noticed during a very early scene in Roys apartment on the DVD, that the clown picture (on the far right of the frame) has a small bit of wall space between it and the edge of the frame. On the blu, the clown frame is right up against the edge of the frame. So the film has been cropped to 1.78. Why? I wish I knew, but that seems to be EBs preferred aspect ratio for matted films

As far as how this thing looks. The blu image has more defined detail, is sharper, colors are more robust and overall it certainly looks more filmic. When I did some back and forth comparison with the DVD it looked soft versus the blu. Film grain is intact and I doubt this Blu saw any DNR, at all. There are a couple night scenes (pulling into the hotel in Phoenix, and Mira getting ice) where the grain is pretty heavy and there is some crush, but overall the film looks good. I will say that there are small white dust specs throughout the film and a rare hair here and there. I wish they werent there but overall they didnt bother me that much. I was expecting the worst with this release and ended up being quite happy with it. Especially for six bucks. Im sure some people with 70 inch screens who are looking for imperfection might not be as happy with it. But from what Ive read about Echo Bridge (I only own one other title by them), this might turn out to be one of their best releases. If your a fan of this film, you will want this disc.
Awesome! Thx for your review
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #23

Jul 2011
Cackalack Country

Anyone else watched this yet? I was curious as to what other peoples thoughts are about the transfer.

Last edited by DrexlerMcStyles; 02-01-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
Expert Member

Jun 2009

Wow. For $5.99 on amazon, you just know this will be a quality release.
AKA Boone_Carlyle
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #25

May 2011
Queens, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
It's not that, but thanks. I have issues with my ears and occasionally my hearing isn't as good as it should be, so subs are always nice to have to fall back on if I miss a line.

I tend to refuse to buy anything without them, but I may have to break down and make an exception one of these days if it's something I really want (like The Dick Van Dyke Show or Jersey Girl). This would have been an automatic blind buy if it was from Lionsgate, but I still might break down and get it.
Yea, same here. Have the same issues with my ears and sometimes it just makes life easier.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #26
Blu-ray reviewer

Aug 2009
-

The Grifters Blu-ray Review
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #27
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Pennsylvania

Just finished watching my copy that I picked up friday afternoon. The film is a classic in my opinion, with all three leads giving knock out performances. The blu-ray looks as though it comes from a dated HD source, the good news being that no digital manipulation seems to have been performed. (much like many recent Olive films BD releases)

I'm glad to have this one in my HD digital library at all.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
-Edgar Allen Poe
Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #28
Expert Member

Jul 2010
California

Wow. This is news to me and at five bucks right now for pre-order, I couldn't help myself. Great little film without one single redeeming character. This movie makes me feel better about myself.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

Pretty good movie just low replay value hence 5 bucks
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Anyone know anything about the different versions of The Grifters. The UK version has the OAR and, apparently, better sound - yet got a slightly worse video rating from BRDC & the same audio rating as the US version. BRDC lists the UK version as Region B (locked is grayed out), yet it's being sold on eBay with no mention of being Region B only. There is also an Italian version with no rating.

UK Version [3/3.5]
Video Codec: MPEG-4 AVC - Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1 [OAR : 1.85:1]
Audio :: DTS-HD MA 5.1/LPCM 2.0

US Version [3.5/3.5]
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1 [OAR : 1.85:1]
Audio : DTS-HD MA 2.0

Italian Version [Unrated]
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1 [OAR : 1.85:1]
Italian Audio : DTS HD-MA 5.1/Dolby Digital 2.0
English Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
Power Member

Aug 2009

Has anyone received their copy from Amazon? Today is release day, 5-7-13. I ordered mid Feb., & do not have a shipping notification.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #32

Mar 2013

I saw a copy of it in a local brick and mortar store today. Was tempted, but will wait for a bit more feedback on this product.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
Power Member

Feb 2008

Robert Harris - who is a credited producer on the film - gave it a 3.5 for video. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...rs-in-blu-ray/
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America