Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99

A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Army of Darkness (Blu-ray)
$19.99

To Have and Have Not (Blu-ray)
$11.85

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$5.34

Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Rolling Stones: From the Vault - No Security - San Jose '99 (Blu-ray)
$19.94

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
USA Truck Turner (1974) - Kino Studio Classics - July 2015

Quote:
COMING IN JULY - ON BLU-RAY & DVD - JONATHAN KAPLAN'S TRUCK TURNER (1974) STARRING ISAAC HAYES, YAPHET KOTTO, NICHELLE NICHOLS, CHARLES CYPHERS, DICK MILLER & SCATMAN CROTHERS

SPECIAL FEATURES:
• BRAND NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR JONATHAN KAPLAN
• "TRAILERS FROM HELL" WITH ERNEST DICKERSON
• ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberS...type=1&theater

Thanks given by:
AndersonVision (02-03-2015), Batmon77 (02-03-2015), cakefactory (02-03-2015), lifepawn (02-18-2015), Mobe1969 (02-03-2015), movieben1138 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Jul 2014
Dallas, TX

I'm all in for this one. Such a fun film!

Ever so slowly my Blaxsploitation DVDs are getting replaced by Blu-ray.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2013

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hide yer mamas, Truck Turner is coming to blu-ray:
Old 02-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2013

Anyone else love the soundtrack for this movie? I think it as good as Shaft. My favorites:

Main Title

There's some dudes in a bar
With busted heads and broken jaws
What hit 'em?
Truck Turner

There's some men in their graves
Who blew those pimps away?
Truck Turner

There's a girl that's so fine
With stars in her eyes
Who's in love and who loves her?
Truck Turner

Pursuit Of The Pimpmobile

Blue's Crib

Driving In The Sun
Thanks given by:
mreagan88 (09-20-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Special Member

Jul 2010

Nice! Hope to see many more Blaxploitation films from Kino, like Black Caesar and Hell Up in Harlem.
"End of game. Bang, you're dead."
Thanks given by:
tisdivine (05-07-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Mar 2011
TX

Yes the soundtrack and the movie is 5 stars.

I'm so excited about this I hope they release Superfly or Black Ceaser next.

#ripisaachayes
Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #7

Jan 2012
Devon, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreagan88 View Post
I'm so excited about this I hope they release Superfly or Black Ceaser next.
I'm hoping someone will do a Black Caesar / Hell Up in Harlem double bill. Maybe Eureka, as they've just done the Blacula set.

Would also love to see Superfly and Trouble Man hit blu ray. And maybe Hit Man with Bernie Casey.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

Mar 2011
TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by monologuerecords View Post
I'm hoping someone will do a Black Caesar / Hell Up in Harlem double bill. Maybe Eureka, as they've just done the Blacula set.

Would also love to see Superfly and Trouble Man hit blu ray. And maybe Hit Man with Bernie Casey.
OMG I didn't know a Blacula/Scream Blacula Scream double pack was coming out.

I'm excited now I love those movies Thx 4 the heads up.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monologuerecords View Post

Speaking of Black Caesar/Hell Up in Harlem, they're gonna be on MGM HD Sunday morning. I think it starts at 6 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #10

Jan 2012
Devon, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxriot View Post
Speaking of Black Caesar/Hell Up in Harlem, they're gonna be on MGM HD Sunday morning. I think it starts at 6 AM.
Awesome. So HD transfers do exist!

Come on, Kino/Arrow/Eureka!

Old 07-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

Apr 2015
Chicora, Pennsylvania

Does anybody know if the original trailer on the Blu is the 5 minute long one other than the standard 2 minute one?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

What a fun film! This release needs more attention. I know Arrow said their blaxploitation releases sold poorly but I hope this Kino disc is supported. I got it for $11.99 in the Amazon sale and feel like I got a steal. Lots of action, great dialog writing and freaking Uhura talking about her hoes. Just a wonderful 70's action movie. I was originally going to just get Foxy Brown and Shaft but I am glad I dipped my toe a little further into the blaxploitation pond.

Video quality is very good for lower budget 70's fare. Some noise in dark scenes but it's not that bad and daylight scenes look very nice indeed, lots of detail and well resolved grain. Sound quality is crisp, no hissing or distortion that I could hear (and which has been a mild issue on some other Kino titles). The Q&A was short but funny and I love these trailers from hell skits Kino are including lately. Eager to hear the commentary but already pleased with the disc.

Highly recommended for fans of the genre and period.

Last edited by StingingVelvet; 08-07-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Thanks given by:
lilant2248 (08-09-2015), PowellPressburger (08-09-2015), The Great Owl (04-01-2018), Yojimbo68 (08-07-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

watched Truck Turner and it is now one of my favorite sploitation films ever. I didn't think it would be this fun or as well made. Michael Kahn (editor) who went on to work with Steven Spileberg. The writing is so much fun and the movie is never ever dull. If you can still get this one during the KINO sale buy it ASAP! Worth it.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Denon X7200WA, Rotel-1582 mkll
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15, EM-R Oppo UPD 205, Oppo BDP 103 Region Free, Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Thanks given by:
lilboyblu (08-09-2015), StingingVelvet (08-10-2015), Yojimbo68 (08-11-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Listened to the commentary on this one last night and it was EXCELLENT. Like up there with the best commentaries I have heard. Extremely conversational, blunt and honest. Tons of inside info that pulls no punches ("Yaphet was an arrogant jerk") and revelations about the creative decisions that really changed how I saw the film (they were fighting to add comedy the whole movie, for example).

Excellent, excellent commentary. On top of a great looking disc and a fun as hell movie, this is a must-own IMO. Great job Kino!
Thanks given by:
BobbyMcGee (08-30-2015), PowellPressburger (08-30-2015), Yojimbo68 (08-31-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #15

Nov 2014

Anyone know if this release plays on Region B players?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #16

Apr 2015
Chicora, Pennsylvania

No, it's Region A, only.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Mack “Truck” Turner, played by the legendary Isaac Hayes (Shaft, Escape from New York), is a former football star turned bounty hunter who always tracks down his bail-jumping targets in style, and has time to talk it up with the ladies, especially his jailbird girlfriend, played by Annazette Chase (The Toy). When Truck and his partner, played by Alan Weeks (Shaft, The French Connection), go after a dangerous pimp named Gator and ultimately kill him in self defense, they find themselves in over their heads when a price is placed on Truck's head by a vicious madam played by none other than Nichelle Nichols, who is best known for her role as Uhura in Star Trek. Harvard Blue, a violent pimp played by Yaphet Kotto (Alien, Live and Let Die), and his hitmen lead the charge, and the bloodshed culminates in a fiery hospital showdown.

The 1974 blaxploitation classic, Truck Turner, which was directed by Jonathan Kaplan (The Accused, Unlawful Entry), is one of my favorites from the genre, thanks to its brilliant music score, also penned by Hayes, and its ability to incorporate light-hearted comedy into the action fray. Hayes has a marvelous screen presence, and the early scenes where he and his partner cut up with car chases effectively establish his rapport with viewers. Nichelle Nichols is a revelation, and, for those of us used to watching her in Star Trek, it's a blast to watch her rule over her gorgeous hookers with a firm hand and a profanity-laced tongue. Yaphet Kotto, of course, commands attention whenever he is on the screen.

The violence in Truck Turner must have been quite intense for back in the day, and there must have been quite a few blood squibs taking up the budget. Even today, the shootings demand a strong stomach. A memorable death scene late in the film is for the ages.

Be on the lookout for Scatman Crothers (The Shining) as a retired pimp who puts Truck Turner on Gator's trail. Sam Laws (Walking Tall) and Dick Miller (The Terminator) also have memorable appearances as bail bondsmen.

This Kino Lorber Blu-ray sports a great-looking transfer with some incredible detail of both close-ups and Los Angeles cityscapes. The audio quality puts the focus on the Hayes music, to good result.

The commentary track with Kaplan is a blast, as is the Q&A with Kaplan and Joe Dante. A fun Trailers from Hell supplement tops off the mix.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 04-01-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 11:56 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

Nice review. I'll have to give this one another look. I didn't see it till a few years ago and had high expectations because of all involved, but then didn't love it.
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (04-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:00 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Listened to the commentary on this one last night and it was EXCELLENT. Like up there with the best commentaries I have heard. Extremely conversational, blunt and honest. Tons of inside info that pulls no punches ("Yaphet was an arrogant jerk")
You should see the interview with Yaphet Kotto in the booklet for the UK release of Friday Foster. Kotto's phenomenal ego, difficult behaviour and complete disinterest in almost anything other than himself are a legend in the industry, and the text interview with him not only bears that out but makes it look like an understatement as the interviewer tries to draw him out on the film and his co-workers but everything inevitably leads back to how irrelevant they all were and what a monumental and underappreciated giant of cinema Kotto is. He single-handedly changed everything in movies and television, you know... At times it's like reading an interview with Donald Trump. Only not as modest and unassuming.

Kaplan can be a fun interview. I remember him saying that the only reason he got the terrific White Line Fever made was because Peter Guber thought Truck Turner was about real truckers...
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."

Last edited by Aclea; 04-02-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

I can't get enough of this...

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America