Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Miss Sloane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
It's Alive Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.87
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2006
Somewhere
Default First Review of the Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Player - earns the top rating!

Quote:
The Pioneer’s updatability via the internet is a big plus. All other current players require you to wait for it to arrive via mail. While looks are subjective, the HD Guru prefers the Pioneer’s more conventional appearance. Add the Home Media capability and two-year warranty (double that of competitors) and for many buyers, the $500 price premium ($1500 retail compared to Sony’s $1000) will be well worth the added expenditure. The Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 earns the top ???? HD Guru rating.
http://www.hdguru.com/

Last edited by Deciazulado; 12-11-2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: pasting post's original title back in
Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Tweeter shows this product coming in around tomorrow (Georgia, SC, and NC areas).
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 12-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #3

Jun 2006
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended_Saiyan View Post
Tweeter shows this product coming in around tomorrow (Georgia, SC, and NC areas).
Yeah right. I just called them and they have no idea when there getting them.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
Yeah right. I just called them and they have no idea when there getting them.
I work there. The PO said 12/11. That means plus or minus a few days. There are only suppose to be 11 for the above mentioned region. You are not even in this region according to your profile.
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 12-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #5

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Ive seen this player as a demo in Best Buy for about a month now. It looks great on the 1080p 50" Elite that just came out, but i didnt see any picture diff when comparing it with the Sony on the same TV. It only cost $600 more, that wasthe only picture diff. Features may be a diff issue.

I actually just found out that the Pioneer and Sony are actually the same player!! Identical parts!! Pioneer makes the Sony player for them it seems. Check this out:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...ony-220996.php

Last edited by daveyg; 12-14-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #6

Sep 2006
Default Nice Review from Ultimate AV

Hats off to Pioneer for putting out a great player...

Quote:
An interesting comparison is looking at VC-1 encodes on discs that are available on both Blu-ray and HD DVD. With the firmware updated Samsung player and the PS3 running the BDs of Blazing Saddles and Phantom of the Opera I'd previously seen a slightly sharper image from the HD DVDs via 1080i from the Toshiba HD-XA1. Not anymore. As with the Sony BDP-S2, the Pioneer Elite shattered this slight mismatch with their output set to 1080p/24. And interestingly, my impressions is still that the 1080p/24 output from the BDP-HD1 looks slightly sharper than the 1080p/60 output of the same player.
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/hd...1206piobdphd1/
"We found that, at this point, Blu-ray is worth the shelf space, and HD DVD is not." - Matthew Smith, Blockbuster SVP Merchandising

Last edited by hyperdine; 12-18-2006 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 12-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Expert Member

Oct 2006

I just got off the phone again with the Pioneer Blu-Ray Department & they said that since it was not HDMI 1.3 they're not aware of any updates for advanced audio codecs. They said it didn't have the right chipset for that.

They also said Pioneer wasn't a big fan of having the Dolby True HD & DTS-HD converted to uncompressed LPCM over the analog outs.

I guess we'll have to wait for a 2nd generation unit for the advanced codecs.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
Expert Member

Oct 2006

Well,
I think I am going to cancel my preorder on this player now. Looking at the manual, I am pretty disappointed.

1) Won't output 1080/24p over component only HDMI (just like the Sony)
2) The media player will NOT play ripped DVD VOB files. I spent an entire day dumping our library to two hard drives (AYE!!!!) It will only play MWV, MPEG2 and MPEG1 files.

I am really bummed out. Guess I will have to wait til Christmas for my son's PS3 to play the movies we have sitting here from Netflix and any chance of having a complete media player will ride on what the PS3 will do with a future firmware upgrade.

Sad day.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2006
MA

Whoops! From the owner's manual, page 23:

Quote:
In the following case, the resume position is cleared:
• Eject the disc
• Use Home Media Gallery/Disc Navigator
Switch the player off (BD-ROM only)
Color me unimpressed.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
Special Member

Sep 2006
MA

More fun in the fine print! This from Pioneer's product brochure PDF:

Quote:
This Player does not support direct connection to the Internet or the retrieval of content through the Internet. Pioneer provides a
Limited Firmware Warranty for firmware updates in the event of playability issues with some commercially pre-recorded discs, however, firmware updates for this Player will not include upgrades for Internet access or retrieval of content. A copy of the Firmware Limited Warranty is available on Pioneer’s website at pioneerelectronics.com. Please contact Pioneer’s customer service center for more information at (800) 421‑1404.
So I guess BD-Live is completely out of the question, then?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #11

Dec 2006
Chicago area
Default Any updates on the release date? 7.1 Sound question

Are there any updates on the release date for this player? I put a deposit down on the player, and Tweeter told me their shipment will be in this Friday in the Chicago area 12-29, and to my local Tweeter on 12-30 for pickup. Are these dates still good? Has anybody heard anything lately?

Also, I was reading the posts about the 7.1 sound only through the HDMI connection and not analog. I've got a full home theater in my new house but with older equipment. I've got all Elite components, but the receiver is about 3 or 4 years old without HDMI. It has the optical in which I am using now from my Elite DVD player. The projector is a Sharp (not sure of the model, but about $10,000 five years ago) which displays 720p or 1080i. I know that I'm not going to get 1080p with this set-up, but on a 133" screen, I would think there would be a noticeable difference from a standard DVD player. I'm I locked into 5.1 sound until I replace the receiver and projector?

Thanks for your patience from a new member!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Light View Post
Well,
I think I am going to cancel my preorder on this player now. Looking at the manual, I am pretty disappointed.

1) Won't output 1080/24p over component only HDMI (just like the Sony)
2) The media player will NOT play ripped DVD VOB files. I spent an entire day dumping our library to two hard drives (AYE!!!!) It will only play MWV, MPEG2 and MPEG1 files.

I am really bummed out. Guess I will have to wait til Christmas for my son's PS3 to play the movies we have sitting here from Netflix and any chance of having a complete media player will ride on what the PS3 will do with a future firmware upgrade.

Sad day.
Well, today I dropped by Tweeter and cancelled my order for the Pioneer. The above was the last straw. I am going to get another PS3 for the theater. The local Target had one in stock but I passed on it because my wife works at walmart and we can get an additional 10% off the price. We used the PS3 the other night to play superman. Worked really well and this thing is fast. Good luck to all the pioneer users, I am sure its a fine unit.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #13

Jun 2006
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Light View Post
Well, today I dropped by Tweeter and cancelled my order for the Pioneer. The above was the last straw. I am going to get another PS3 for the theater. The local Target had one in stock but I passed on it because my wife works at walmart and we can get an additional 10% off the price. We used the PS3 the other night to play superman. Worked really well and this thing is fast. Good luck to all the pioneer users, I am sure its a fine unit.
So your leaving the Pioneer Nation. Big deal! Goodby and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Expert Member

Oct 2006

Nice. I hope you have a happy new year too! Look, I have nothing against the Pioneer and I even wished all of you good luck with the unit and that I was sure it's a fine unit. It just doesn't fit the needs of my family at this time. I thought that these forums were to discuss the present technology. That's what I was doing. Sorry if that offended you somehow.

Last edited by Blu-Light; 01-01-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #15

Sep 2006
Alberta

Promising CES update on the Pioneer
However it is unofficial so salt accordingly..
Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #16

Dec 2006

not trying to be pushy or anything....but....

any chance we could save this thread for reviews once the player actually comes out? lol
Elite Pro-1130HD (still the best 720P 50" I've ever seen!!); Elite DV79AVi;Denon 2807;Panamax (clean power is underrated!);Martin Logan 5.1 (Montage's up front, Grotto, Fresco(center),Vignette's in rear); Universal MX3000 to control it; Audioquest to connect it. Selling home theater is the most expensive career I have ever had!!!:p

one of the few, the proud, Magnolia @ Best Buy people who know what they are doing(not perfect but i try)!!! glad to see a couple others here representing!!! lol.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:35 AM   #17

Jan 2007

I have this player and absolutely love it. Yes, it does take a bit to boot up, but the picture is outstanding. I have no complaints of any type and would recommend in heart beat.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #18

Jun 2006
NJ

Great picture. If you type in 7669 on any Sony dvd menu you will see some test patterns. The test patterns on the Pioneer have better resolutions than the Sony which by itself wasn't that bad.

Not to mention the Elite does come with a two year 100% warranty.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
Special Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

I spent some time playing with this unit and it will NOT play all the BD movies out. It locks up like the Sammy. I still think the Panasonic is outperforming all the other players on the market as of now.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #20

Oct 2006
West Chester PA

just recieved my new BDP-HD1 yesterday from my local Tweeter store... I was on a waiting list of 45, I started the list back in september after I returned the original Samsung unit I purchased and was not happy with.
I seemed to know more about the HD-1 than the sales person... having been following this forum for a long time
I am going to attach a wireless network adaptor to see if the wireless network in my home will work with this unit (even though the manual sayes to use a direct wired connection to the router), I have "faith" that the Firmware updates will keep this unit current..... and versatile for awhile... at least for a couple generations
Everything seems to work well out of the box.. setup is easy.. and the startup time seems less than the Samsung
Right now it will output only dolby digital/dts none of the new HD audio formats.. it does output as PCM or dolby digital to my reciever thorough a coax connection....
I am keeping my eye out now for any FW updates......
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders