Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #561
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgLIS View Post
I wonder if it's possible to correct it with software, even after it's been burned to a disc?
To be honest, I don't know, but my guess would be no, as ultimately it comes down to the original source used (as was the same case with the original 2007 "Enter the Dragon" Blu). I'm sure you could probably tinker with it, but I can't imagine the results would be all that pretty...I don't have the tech expertise to go into detail on the subject, but I'd imagine if it was possible to do (in a good way), they would've corrected the issue before they released the Blu...

Quote:
Putting aliasing and color preference aside, going by Pieter V's screencaps, the German blu has more detail/less DNR. The best example is screencap 11:
German
US
Yes, that is a great example, though the one that really caught my eye, more than the others was this:

German: http://www.imagebam.com/image/b03541262526278

US: http://www.imagebam.com/image/ba2736262526341

Zoom in on Van Damme's eyes, and notice how much better the color separation is on the German Blu (based on the caps of course).

Also, on the caps-a-holic shots, these zooms caught my eye:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...=313#vergleich (notice how unnaturally yellow the hand looks on the Warner disc).

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...=416#vergleich (notice the difference in saturation).

Again, the German Blu clearly has issues of it's own...so what I'm going to do when I get it, is simply weigh the pros and cons of each transfer, and then base my decision on that.

Quote:
It was suggested that his screencaps may not be accurate, but I don't see how he could've added softening to the screencaps. Maybe turned on an image filter in his playback software, and the screencap function took the snapshot after the image processing?
They may not be perfect, but they look close enough to me (at least regarding the Warner transfer) to differentiate the massive differences between the two regarding colors and contrast, which is also clearly noticeable on the caps-a-holic shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rz_Samurai View Post
How much is the German blood sport in US dollars shipped?
About $20.

Quote:
Is it region free?
Yes.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #562

Aug 2010
Sheffield,England.

Got my copy today.

image.jpg

Last edited by Lukesablade; 07-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #563
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukesablade View Post
Got my copy today.

[Show spoiler]Attachment 67099
Is that custom cover artwork? Cover art on the site here is different.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #564
Special Member

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo View Post
Is that custom cover artwork? Cover art on the site here is different.
The German Blu-ray features a double-side cover artwork.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #565
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Florida Steelbooks:>>>>>> 33 Digibooks: >>>>>> 6

That artwork is awesome, i actually like it... I may have to order this but what i really would like to know is if the PQ and AQ is worth the upgrade from the US double feature i own....
- Cloud Atlas (Germany Exclusive Steelbook) (Brand New Sealed) $25.00 Shipped

( The Last Samurai ) There is life in every breath... That is, Bushido
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #566
Special Member

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
That artwork is awesome, i actually like it... I may have to order this but what i really would like to know is if the PQ and AQ is worth the upgrade from the US double feature i own....
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...D=1747#auswahl
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #567
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
The German Blu-ray features a double-side cover artwork.
Thanks for the info! Now I'm even more happy I ordered it .

Quote:
That artwork is awesome, i actually like it...
As do I, it's identical to the original US 1-sheet poster. Though my favorite artwork for the film is still this:

http://www.traileraddict.com/poster/bloodsport/2

I owned originals of both the US 1-sheet and the German poster I linked above, before selling off almost my entire collection of original film posters years ago...beautiful artwork.

Quote:
I may have to order this but what i really would like to know is if the PQ and AQ is worth the upgrade from the US double feature i own....
I'm awaiting the arrival of the German Blu myself, so if you're on the fence but willing to be patient, I will post my personal thoughts in a week or so when it arrives, and I've watched and compared it to the Warner release.

As has already been stated, there's pros and cons of both releases, and there's certain things I like (and dislike) about both based on what I'm seeing in the caps...so it's likely going to come down to personal preference. And while I can understand a lot of people not wanting to blindly drop $20 on the import unless there's a pretty good reason to do so, it's worth it to me, mainly because I was never happy with the contrasty look of the Warner disc.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #568
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgLIS View Post
Is aliasing an artifact of frame rate conversion? If so, I wonder if it's possible to correct it with software, even after it's been burned to a disc?

Putting aliasing and color preference aside, going by Pieter V's screencaps, the German blu has more detail/less DNR. The best example is screencap 11:
German
US

It was suggested that his screencaps may not be accurate, but I don't see how he could've added softening to the screencaps. Maybe turned on an image filter in his playback software, and the screencap function took the snapshot after the image processing?

I'll be eagerly awaiting kdo's comparison.
Guys, please please PLEASE stop using Pieter's caps for comparison. I'm not suggesting that he's "adding" anything, nor do I know just what he's doing wrong, but something's going awry because the film does NOT look anything like as mushy and DNR'ed as those grabs suggest. (User saltysam had the exact same problem with his EtD caps)

Here's one I've literally just capped off the disc. I'm not claiming Screenshot Science™ precision either, I just 'print screened' the mother ****er and saved it to PNG - but it gives a much more accurate depiction of the disc: http://www.imagebam.com/image/40b655263519598

It's not the same frame, but compare it to this one of Pieter's Grain-B-Gone™ caps: http://www.imagebam.com/image/e9c974262501906
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #569
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2011

Both versions are on Capsaholic and that's the ONLY source that should be used if one wants to judge the screenshots. For some weird reason, most people don't know how to properly take screenshots. Even though it can be done with a click of a button on the VLC player. Please stop, you are misleading the members here.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #570
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Guys, please please PLEASE stop using Pieter's caps for comparison. I'm not suggesting that he's "adding" anything, nor do I know just what he's doing wrong, but something's going awry because the film does NOT look anything like as mushy and DNR'ed as those grabs suggest. (User saltysam had the exact same problem with his EtD caps)

Here's one I've literally just capped off the disc. I'm not claiming Screenshot Science™ precision either, I just 'print screened' the mother ****er and saved it to PNG - but it gives a much more accurate depiction of the disc: http://www.imagebam.com/image/40b655263519598

It's not the same frame, but compare it to this one of Pieter's Grain-B-Gone™ caps: http://www.imagebam.com/image/e9c974262501906
Point well taken, Geoff. I've been using the caps-a-holic images mostly myself, as there is clearly something overly soft about Pieter's caps of the Warner Blu (and they are not representative of the level of detail the Warner disc displays)...I've been using his more for looking at differences in color and contrast...
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #571
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo View Post
Point well taken, Geoff. I've been using the caps-a-holic images mostly myself, as there is clearly something overly soft about Pieter's caps of the Warner Blu (and they are not representative of the level of detail the Warner disc displays)...I've been using his more for looking at differences in color and contrast...
It's good that you're aware of that, but not everyone else is...
Old 07-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #572
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA
Default Buy the German Blu

Received and watched my German Blu of "Bloodsport"...and...it's pretty simple...Unless you're a fan of "Timecop," take your Warner double-feature Blu-ray and trade it in, give it away, or throw it away, and then buy the Region-free MGM disc ...

While extremely satisfied upon completion of my screening of the German Blu, I was at the same time blatantly appalled at how bad the Warner transfer really is...So, what's better about the MGM disc? Well, pretty much everything, though notably the color and contrast balance, which looks perfect. No artificial orange push, horribly blown-out contrast, or crushed blacks like on the Warner transfer, and I should also mention that detail is improved on the MGM as well (despite the aliasing issue, which I should mention is not at all terrible...In fact, I only noticed a handful of scenes where it really stuck out, and thankfully, those were few and far between). Even the audio on the German Blu sounded a little better to me, though I can't say this is necessarily the case...perhaps it had more to do with the fact that I was just enjoying the heck out of seeing this film the way it was meant to be seen...

Looking back now, I'm disappointed in myself for having altered the video score I originally gave the Warner transfer from a 2.0 to a 3.0 (something I will be correcting, back to a 2.0), which I did after watching the film's trailer and seeing aspects of it that looked more along the lines of the Warner Blu. Then again, all I had to go off of at the time for comparison, was my original Warner DVD, so it was a tough decision. I'm now 100% confident, that much like "The NeverEnding Story," the Warner transfer for "Bloodsport" is just a mess, and an embarrassment, and a great example of how film-revisionism can ruin home-video.

That said my friends, the bottom line is that the German Blu-ray is the one you want to own. Don't hesitate for a second to purchase it, especially at the budget price it is currently going for, which is almost half of what I paid a couple of weeks ago...you will not be disappointed in the slightest.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #573
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Hmmm. The fact is, the MGM is a technically flawed old transfer. For me, jaggies = automatic fail. And the Warners Blu-ray doesn't have "horribly blown-out contrast". It has been tweaked, no doubt, which has lightened certain parts of the image, but a major detail destroyer it is not. (You want to see "blown-out", the old Ghostbusters transfer is the poster child for completely flattened highlights.)

Oh, and the blacks aren't "crushed" either; I can see just as much shadow detail in either transfer on the capsaholic comparisons. I'm happy you've found a version of Bloodsport that you like, but please don't talk hyperbolic nonsense about the other one to make yourself feel better about your purchase.

I'll give you the colour, though.

Last edited by Geoff D; 07-13-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: too many eithers
Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #574
Banned

Jan 2013

The Warner one with time cop looks better hands down.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #575
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Hmmm. The fact is, the MGM is a technically flawed old transfer. For me, jaggies = automatic fail. And the Warners Blu-ray doesn't have "horribly blown-out contrast". It has been tweaked, no doubt, which has lightened certain parts of the image, but a major detail destroyer it is not. (You want to see "blown-out", the old Ghostbusters transfer is the poster child for completely flattened highlights.)

Oh, and the blacks aren't "crushed" either; I can see just as much shadow detail in either transfer on the capsaholic comparisons. I'm happy you've found a version of Bloodsport that you like, but please don't talk hyperbolic nonsense about the other one to make yourself feel better about your purchase.

I'll give you the colour, though.
Fair enough, Geoff...as always, I respect your opinion . But, if you don't think the Warner release has contrast problems, I'd urge you to please just take a look at any number of sky shots during the film (notably the earlier sequences...one small example is when Frank goes to visit Mr. & Mrs. Tanaka before leaving for Hong Kong at 0:04:28 - 0:04:41...there's a lot more, but I don't need to list each and every one here, I know you're more than capable of spotting them for yourself). Blacks still look a little crushed to me on the Warner transfer, but not terribly so...

I certainly can't disagree with you regarding the aliasing, and one thing perhaps I didn't keep in mind, was that it will only get worse the larger the display...so, while I'm watching on a 51" TV and didn't find it bothersome, it could certainly be a problem for those viewing on larger displays or projector screens...detail looks much better to me on the MGM disc, and definitely the colors (to which you seemingly concur).

I completely respect your viewpoint on the Warner disc , and at first I thought I'd be the same way after having witnessed the aliasing of the German Blu via the caps-a-holic shots...but upon watching the MGM disc, I was sorely reminded of exactly why I found the Warner transfer so bothersome to begin with. As it is, and not that it particularly matters, but there are still aspects of the trailer (even in HD) that lean towards the look of the Warner transfer, so, I think maybe there may be a middle ground here that will depend upon an individual's personal preference.

Sorry if I seemed to be hyperbolic in my statements , as I didn't intend to be, but again, I was never really happy with the look of the Warner disc to begin with, and now having what I consider to be a much better looking version, all it did was magnify the issues that I felt the Warner transfer had...

As it is, other than the aliasing issue, there's nothing I didn't like about the MGM disc. I guess what matters most, is that you're happy with what you're watching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromc69 View Post
The Warner one with time cop looks better hands down.
It's a matter of preference and opinion. There are positives and negatives of both releases. For me, having owned and compared both, the MGM is the way to go...I can't speak for everyone else...and again, the larger your display, the more noticeable the aliasing issue will become...
Old 02-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #576
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Does the reversible art of the DE Bloodsport have English text on the back? I notice that the front of the DE has the text in English, but that could be just because of the poster. Thinking about this one, though I might go with the more expensive HK release if this one has the German text. I just prefer being able to read the description/synopsis on the backs of the inserts.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #577

May 2011
Brown Deer, WI
USA

I really dont understand why WB wont release this as single movie edition, this Timecop, Last Boyscout & Last Man Standing should all be released as single editions, they were more profatable than Action Jackson Or Vegas Vacation, yet those hot a single release, and they keep on re releasing the same films multiple times, the fugitive, enter the dragon, the exorcist, wizard of oz, blazing saddles!

Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #578

Jul 2013
Scotland

Timecop and The Last Boy Scout were released as individual titles in the UK.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #579

Jan 2011
scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukesablade View Post
Got my copy today.

Attachment 67099

Got that version too, for the original artwork, along with a few Chuck Norris ones. And love those red cases.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #580

Jan 2011
scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
Does the reversible art of the DE Bloodsport have English text on the back? I notice that the front of the DE has the text in English, but that could be just because of the poster. Thinking about this one, though I might go with the more expensive HK release if this one has the German text. I just prefer being able to read the description/synopsis on the backs of the inserts.
German text on the back.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America