Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Black Panther 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99
19 hrs ago
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.63
17 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08
21 hrs ago
Source Code 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27
8 hrs ago
The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.85

Psycho Biddy Double Feature: Strait-Jacket / Berserk! (Blu-ray)
$8.39

Phantom Thread 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.27
15 hrs ago
Jurassic World (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
Default Flicker Alley

Quote:
Flicker Alley was born out of a passion for cinematic history and a desire to bring filmmakers and films from out of the past to new audiences and renewed recognition. The company was founded in 2002 by Jeffery Masino who drew on a lifelong enthusiasm and fascination with silent, classic, and independent cinema as well as on many years of experience in film and television production and post-production. A goal of Flicker Alley is to contribute to the on-going interest in our film heritage through the creation of new, high-quality digital editions for broadcast and through home video distribution.

Each Flicker Alley publication is the culmination of hundreds of hours of research, digital restoration, graphic design, music composition and scoring. Collectively, they reflect the creativity, expertise, and shared passion of many talented collaborators. The Flicker Alley brand has grown to enjoy national and international critical acclaim and is regularly featured in annual "Best Of" lists. The company is a 2009 National Society of Film Critics Film Heritage Award recipient for publishing "rare early U.S. and foreign silent film." The name "Flicker Alley" was the nickname of Cecil Court, London W.C.2., the business center of the British film industry during the silent film era.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-23-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Thanks given by:
*PREACHER* (09-06-2014), erlinmeyer (09-06-2014), RipleyLV426 (09-07-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Illinois

Looks like The Hunchback of Notre Dame is missing. It belongs after We're in the Movies: Palace of Silents & Itinerant Filmmaking and before
Cinerama: Holiday.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2007
Canada
Buy.com

Ordered Mack Sennett and the Chaplin Mutuals. Can't wait.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Thank you, zbinks

Pro-B
Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Any chance of a late review of The Curtis Harrington Short Film Collection pro-b?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Any chance of a late review of The Curtis Harrington Short Film Collection pro-b?
This release actually isn't with me. It is with my colleague Brian Orndorf. I will ask him to see if we can post one

Pro-B
Thanks given by:
billyearle (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Yeah, that would probably help sell a few more copies too. I'm sure releases like these need all the help they can get.
Importcds has a good price on this set and is having a 10% sale, so I finally ordered this, since it was usually pricey elsewhere. Since this release came out, I had thought he was just an experimental filmmaker. I'm a fan of Kenneth Anger and had hoped to check this guy out eventually. Now I discovered he also directed some of my beloved odd-ball horror flicks as well, Queen of Blood (one of the only DVD-Rs I bought BTW)etc. Makes me even more interested to check him out. I haven't seen Devil Dog since I was a kid, will be interesting to look at that in a new context.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.

Last edited by billyearle; 11-06-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
California

For someone that has never seen any of Chaplin's work would the mutual comedies set be worth it?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #9

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
For someone that has never seen any of Chaplin's work would the mutual comedies set be worth it?
I'd say check out City Lights or Modern Times on YouTube/Hulu first. If you enjoy those, you'll enjoy the majority of his shorts
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #10
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

FLICKER ALLEY TO RELEASE TWO RESTORED CLASSIC NOIR FILMS ON BLU-RAY

NEWS AND FULL SPECS:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18337

Quote:
Flicker Alley, in partnership with the Film Noir Foundation and UCLA Film & Television Archive, has announced that it will release on Blu-ray two newly-restored noir classics: Too Late for Tears and Woman on the Run. The two releases will be available for purchase on April 12.

Too Late for Tears (1949)

Rescued and preserved after a five-year crusade by the Film Noir Foundation, this 1949 classic is at long last available in a clean digital version, transferred from a 35mm print painstakingly restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive.

When a pair of film noir icons like Lizabeth Scott and Dan Duryea collide, sparks are sure to fly. Jane Palmer (Scott) and her husband Alan (Arthur Kennedy) mysteriously have $60,000 literally dropped in their laps. The circumstances seem mighty suspicious to Alan, who wants to turn the money over to the police. But in a materialistic rapture, Jane won't let it go. She doesn't care where it came from, or what danger might ensue-not if it will bring her the luxury she craves. Enter shady Danny Fuller (Duryea, as cocky and menacing as ever), who claims the money belongs to him. Let the games begin! Roy Huggins' snappy script (adapted from his novel) is a complex, breezy and black-hearted homage to James M. Cain and Raymond Chandler. Rapacious housewife Jane Palmer is one of the juiciest female villains in Hollywood history, and Liz Scott's best role ever.

Flicker Alley is excited to present this world-premiere Blu-ray/DVD dual-format edition of Too Late For Tears, restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive, and passionately championed by the Film Noir Foundation, with special thanks to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Together with Woman on the Run, this film marks the first collaboration between Flicker Alley and the Film Noir Foundation.

Special Features:

Audio Commentary Track - By writer, historian, and film programmer Alan K. Rode.
"Chance Of A Lifetime: The Making of Too Late For Tears" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation and featuring Eddie Muller, Kim Morgan, and Julie Kirgo, this mini-doc offers a behind-the-scenes examination of the film's original production.
"Tiger Hunt: Restoring Too Late For Tears" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation, this is a chronicle of the multi-year mission to rescue this "lost" noir classic.
"Noir City" - A short documentary directed by Joe Talbot about the annual Noir City Film Festival presented by the Film Noir Foundation at San Francisco's historic Castro Theatre.
24-Page Souvenir Booklet - Featuring rare photographs, poster art, original lobby cards, and an essay by writer and noir-expert Brian Light.

Woman on the Run (1950)

Thanks to the efforts of the Film Noir Foundation, this terrific 1950 film noir, the only American print of which was burned in a 2008 fire, has been rescued and restored to its original luster. Join the wild chase around San Francisco as a man goes into hiding after witnessing a gangland execution. Police bird-dog his wife Eleanor (Ann Sheridan), certain she'll lead them to her husband, whose testimony against the killer could bring down a crime kingpin. But Eleanor and her hubbie are Splitsville-she never wants to see him again. When roguish newspaperman Danny Legget (Dennis O'Keefe) charms Eleanor into helping him track down the hidden husband-there are unexpected, stunning, and poignant results. This nervy, shot-on-location thriller is a witty and wise look at the travails of romance and marriage, and perhaps the best cinematic depiction ever of mid-20th century San Francisco.

Flicker Alley is honored to present this world-premiere Blu-ray/DVD dual-format edition of Woman on the Run, completely restored by the Film Noir Foundation in conjunction with UCLA Film & Television Archive, with special thanks to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's Charitable Grant Trust and the British Film Institute. Together with Too Late For Tears, this film marks the first collaboration between Flicker Alley and the Film Noir Foundation.

Special Features:

Audio Commentary Track - By author, historian, and "noirchaelogist" Eddie Muller.
"Love is a Rollercoaster: Woman on the Run Revisited" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation, this mini-doc offers a look into the making of the film, from script to noir classic.
"A Wild Ride: Restoring Woman on the Run" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation, this stranger-than-fiction document of the film's restoration is a thriller in itself.
"Noir City" - A short documentary directed by Joe Talbot about the annual Noir City Film Festival presented by by the Film Noir Foundation at San Francisco's historic Castro Theatre.
24-Page Souvenir Booklet - Featuring rare photographs, poster art, original lobby cards, and an essay by the one and only Eddie Muller.
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-22-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Thanks given by:
applemac (02-11-2016), Arkadin (02-11-2016), belcherman (01-22-2016), Knaldskalle (01-22-2016), movieben1138 (01-22-2016), NoirFan (01-22-2016), oildude (01-22-2016), reanimator (01-22-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Got an email blast today stating FA is going to start doing MOD blu-rays. First two titles are

Timothy's Quest (1922)
Poet and Publisher featuring Robert Frost (1961) & A Publisher is Known by the Company He Keeps (1961)

Quote:
Manufactured-On-Demand (MOD) BLU-RAY is Coming to Flicker Alley!
Bringing Film History to New Audiences on More Platforms than Ever Before.

When we launched our Manufactured-On-Demand (MOD) DVD program last year, we affirmed our commitment to making cinematic gems accessible and affordable to the public on as many platforms as possible. Today, we're excited to announce that we will be expanding our MOD catalog to include select titles on Blu-ray.

Two HD World Premieres Will Kick Off MOD Blu-Ray Program:

Timothy's Quest (1922) is charming pastoral about two unwanted children finding acceptance and love. This rare, cinematic gem is based on a novel by Kate Douglas Wiggin (Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm), who was then known as "America's best loved author of stories about children." Director Sidney Olcott - a true pioneer who was General Manager of Biograph - went on to direct many important productions starring the likes of Mary Pickford, Rudolph Valentino, George Arliss, Richard Barthelmes, and Marion Davies. In the film, Joseph Dew plays the orphaned Timothy. In a touching and coincidental act of 'stranger-than-fiction' kindness, Olcott actually adopted and raised the handsome, young Joseph Dew, whose parents were killed in a boarding house fire when he was about 7-years-old.

Poet and Publisher includes Robert Frost (1961) and A Publisher is Known by the Company He Keeps (1961): two documentaries that present an intimate look at two luminaries of the literary world.

The lovely color film Robert Frost was shot over the course of a year, mostly in the region of Robert Frost's solitary mountain cabin in Vermont. Probably the most celebrated American poet of the twentieth century, Frost in his mid-eighties is seen in three seasons walking the landscape while he is heard reading from about twenty-five of his poems inspired by what is shown.

Alfred A. Knopf and his wife Blanche founded the publishing house bearing his name in 1915. He claimed that he never published an unworthy book, and the Knopf catalog includes 17 winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature and 47 Pulitzer Prize winners. Knopf (1892-1984) maintained a close personal friendship with many of his authors, and in 1926 he bought a Bell & Howell 16mm camera and began to film them. These home movies form the heart of A Publisher is Known by the Company He Keeps.

Stay Tuned for the Official Release Date!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TimothysQuest.jpg (84.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg PoetandPublisher.jpg (92.7 KB, 8 views)
You mean the movie lied?!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyK View Post
Got an email blast today stating FA is going to start doing MOD blu-rays.
So does anyone know if MOD means BD-Rs in this case, or simply very limited runs of pressed discs?
Old 02-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

I'm in Europe at the moment so picked up the French edition of L'HUMAINE to take back to the States with me. I saved over $10 from buying the FA copy. I need to save every cent these days. I'm just hoping both versions are identical.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
I'm in Europe at the moment so picked up the French edition of L'HUMAINE to take back to the States with me. I saved over $10 from buying the FA copy. I need to save every cent these days. I'm just hoping both versions are identical.
Did you get a chance to check this out yet?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Did you get a chance to check this out yet?
I have the disc, but have not yet been able to sample it because where I'm staying, there is no Blu player. The outer slipbox cover of the Blu says on the back that the language options are French and English. The bonus features listed are the same as on the FA copy and I'm assuming they have English options. I would think the two versions are identical because they are each produced by Lobster. When I can watch the disc, I'll post more info unless someone else has the French disc and can enlighten us before then.

Last edited by Professor Echo; 03-07-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
Telstar (03-07-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

L'Inhumaine Blu-ray REVIEW

Absolutely incredible film. In fact, I would say that it is one of the most ambitious silent projects that I have seen.

The 4K restoration from Lobster Films is stunning. The encoding, however, could have been better. Still, this is one of this year's most exciting releases.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-10-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Thanks given by:
BobbyMcGee (03-10-2016), John_Drake (03-10-2016), silverlakephil (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Los Angeles

Love that packaging.
BLUE FANS V.I.P.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #18
Banned

Nov 2015
New Jersey US
Default 2 New Flicker Alley Titles?

2 More blu-ray titles from Flicker Alley don't seem to find in the database if anybody knows of these titles if their stand alone titles or part of a set. Thanks
1) Poet And Publisher
2) Timothy's Quest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POET AND PUBLISHER.jpg (56.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TIMOTHY'S QUEST.jpg (44.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffTannen50 View Post
2 More blu-ray titles from Flicker Alley don't seem to find in the database if anybody knows of these titles if their stand alone titles or part of a set. Thanks
1) Poet And Publisher
2) Timothy's Quest
Go back a page in this thread, those are the first 2 blu-ray MOD titles from Flicker Alley. I haven't seen a definitive release date yet.
Thanks given by:
BiffTannen50 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Los Angeles

Arrow Academy in the U.K. will be releasing both Too Late For Tears and Woman on the Run on June 13:

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=715

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=716
BLUE FANS V.I.P.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors