Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$99.99
8 hrs ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.85
5 hrs ago
Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Justice League (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Outlander: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
Ferdinand (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
The Naked Gun Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.90
11 hrs ago
I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1

Jul 2009
Cool Speaker sub combo for LCD TV...

Hey,

What is a good brand for a decent price or a specific package should look for. I would like it to include a nice sub.

Thanks,
Tara
Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #2

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler17 View Post
Hey,

What is a good brand for a decent price or a specific package should look for. I would like it to include a nice sub.

Thanks,
Tara
First welcome to the site!

Next, and I'll be the first to ask.....but, how much are you willing to spend? This will help greatly......
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #3

Jul 2009
Smile Spend $500... But if I can buy parts at a time that may be ok...

Hey,

I'm fresh out of college so I don't have too much extra, but I want something that will hold up well. I LOVE loud as long as it's a good quality sound. What I really like are vibrations from a sub with a good action movie. I'm also a big sports, more hockey fan, so ironically the girl is going to be having all the guys over for sporting events hahaha...

Thanks,
Tara
Old 07-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #4

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler17 View Post
Hey,

I'm fresh out of college so I don't have too much extra, but I want something that will hold up well. I LOVE loud as long as it's a good quality sound. What I really like are vibrations from a sub with a good action movie. I'm also a big sports, more hockey fan, so ironically the girl is going to be having all the guys over for sporting events hahaha...

Thanks,
Tara
Big hockey fan myself (check out my gallery. ) Do you absolutely want a 5.1 set-up now or slowly build up a better one? I recommend building up a better one to avoid throwing any $$$ away in a year or so to upgrade. Obviously, you would need a receiver, and at least 2 front speakers. The usually recommendation to slowly build up a good system of speakers is to first go out and listen to the many different kinds, as some are "bright" in their sound and they do vary. Once you find a speaker brand you like, you should get both front speakers first, then a center channel, a subwoofer and lastly, your surrounds. The better brands of speakers that would probably be in your budget range are Polk, Klipsch, Energy, Mirage. For receivers, they too should be listened to which ones seem "warm" or "neutral" in the sound they produce. Some receiver manufacturers you could look into with your budget are Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony for starters.

So, I say if you want a really good set-up, you'll need a receiver and at least 2 front speakers. However, if you eventually have a really good set of speakers, you'll need a really good recevier too and $500 just gets you into a nicer class of receiver, but would leave nothing for speakers. Again, most members will say to slowly build up (myself included), but if you have to have a complete 5.1 set-up right away, look into the Home Theater in a Box (HTiB). Although I can't say for sure if $500 will even get you everything you want with a HTiB, but there are deals out there too. Good luck, and go Flyers!
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60

Last edited by Fors*; 07-20-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #5

Oct 2008
Altair IV
Default Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 Speaker System

Unfortunately this system costs $799 (MSRP) and exceeds your $500 limit.

Here's the link to the Amazon page: Amazon ProCinema 600

Here's the Definitive Technologies page: Definitive Technologies ProCinema 600

Here's a CNET review: CNET review

Big Picture Big Sound review: bigpicturebigsound.com

Ziff-Davis Net review: zdnet.com

The Energy Take Classic in the ZDNET review is only $400, so you might consider that.

I don't own this specific system but I have a Definitive center channel speaker and two Definitive surrounds that have larger drivers. This system has smaller drivers for the center and surround channels but they compensate by having passive radiators. "The biggest challenge in designing a sub/sat system is to engineer small satellites with a frequency response that extends low enough to blend properly with the subwoofer." The design starts with the subwoofer, which can reproduce a limited range of low frequencies. As long as its upper frequency limit is below 200 Hz, you shouldn't be able to localize the sound. My subwoofer, a Bag-End Infrasub 18, has an 18" cone and can reproduce frequencies from 8 Hz to 95 Hz. You can't really hear 8 Hz, you just feel it. Although the Definitive ProCinema 600 specifications claim their satellites can go as low as 65 Hz, I'm very skeptical because they don't specify how many decibels below peak that is. The Definitive subwoofer has an 8" diameter with a passive radiator and claims a 22 Hz to 150 Hz response. I'm sure it blends well with the satellites. The ProCinema 800 ($1,199) and the ProCinema 1000 ($1,595) have larger drivers in the satellite and center speakers and the ProCinema 1000 increases the subwoofer driver diameter to 10".

Do you intend to listen to music also on this speaker system? What receiver are you using? Can it decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers