Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Toy Story of Terror! (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #3441
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
I think what Jonathan's trying to say is that there have been some naysayers who claim that these restorations scrub the animation too clean to the point where the fludity of the animation is affected. They claim there's some sort of strobe effect going on as if frames were missing or something. That, of course, is bogus, and what Jonathan's trying to say is that (in terms of animation movement, not clarity) the restored Fantasia clip doesn't differ from the clearly unrestored Three Caballeros clip.
Ah I get it

Popped in my own Tangled BD today to check it out, and to my surprise most of the clips (especially the non-caps clips) look rather horrible. The pre-war movies look sublime, then the package movies.. (Saludos Amigos, Caballeros and Make Mine Music upgraded into high def without cleaning, the others just soft DVD quality shots), the fifties movies look great, than the sixties movies also look okay (but Sword in the Stone and Jungle Book are rather grainy and unclean in the backgrounds), then the 70s which somehow looks disastrous (Winnie the Pooh is soft, the Rescuers quality is not the same as the BD of that film), than the eighties which is almost just as bad as the 40s, especially Oliver & Co.

Makes you wonder how well the eighties movies would fare on BD either way.. I'm a bit confused, where they made with Xerox as well, or was Fox and the Hound the last film to use this technology?
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #3442
Special Member

Jul 2008

How is the picture quality on the rescuers and the rescuers down under?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #3443
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

I wasn't going to buy this because I doubted with how much I would really watch it but thinking it over I might go ahead and bite the bullet and just get it because even if I don't watch the Rescuers that much, I know that I would watch the Rescuers Down Under probably more frequently.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #3444

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
No problem. Where should I start.. the restoration done on Cinderella is pretty bad. The use of whatever tools they used is so excessive that a lot of the line-art is completely gone. Overall you can tell there are problems with the picture in every single minute of the film - you are bound to notice something. It's not like a scene was restored wrongly and that's it.

You can go to the Disney Classics Screenshot Comparison thread and see for yourself.
Other useful threads
How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrongly
CINDERELLA DVD - digital restoration gone too far?
Plus my post on the Cinderella thread has a few more pictures.
Ten years later ...

(Disney then restored and remastered the movie for its October 4, 2005 release as the sixth installment of the Walt Disney Platinum Editions series.)

Dear Walt, my daughter is an adult now ... please, give us a proper edition.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America