Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.70
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gambit (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #161

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
One thing to watch for with DVD - dual-sided discs. Those have serious issues if they are not manufactured with the highest quality. The two sides can separate and oxidation can set in, rendering the disc unplayable. My Battlestar Galactica Cylon-head box set (the 1978 series with the original large-size head box set) were all dual-sided discs. Over half of the discs in the set rotted in just a few years, becoming unplayable. I discovered this the hard way when I tried to watch an episode one night. I then went in and discovered just how bad the situation was. I contacted Universal and they replaced the defective discs, but warned me they would not replace them again. Like it was my fault their discs were rotting in the box.
All DVDs are dual-sided. They are all manufactured the same way by having two "platters" fastened together by a curing process whether they are DVD-5 (SS-SL), DVD-9 (SS-DL), DVD-10 (DS-SL),DVD-14 (DS-SL-DL9), or DVD-18 (DS-DL-DL).

However, discs with multiple layers spread across two sides (DVD-14 and DVD-18) are more difficult to manufacture and more prone to having defects that will eventually render the discs unplayable.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #162
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Does it hang up in the same spot on different players?
I intended to check this a while ago, and didn't for some reason. I'll let ya know soon. Silly me!

edit: Just tried it on my computer, to find my computer doesn't play anything now. PowerDVD 11 keeps prompting me to upgrade to 13 for $55. Do they really only last until a better version's out, and then make you upgrade again? I haven't used a blu on the computer for a while... Anyway, as for Cloverfield, that's all my players, because my wife doesn't have any software. I'll search for something free, and get back to ya if I find something. Otherwise, I won't test it until I'm next at my parents house.
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007

Last edited by AmrlKJaneway; 04-04-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #163
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Okay, I got a free trial of Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 6. Trying it now...

It gets to the same point. It doesn't freeze like my PS3, but returns instantly to the start menu. Any ideas?
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #164
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Okay, I got a free trial of Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 6. Trying it now...

It gets to the same point. It doesn't freeze like my PS3, but returns instantly to the start menu. Any ideas?
I'd try it on another standalone player if you can.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #165
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I'd try it on another standalone player if you can.
I'll try it on my parents Samsung when I can and report back. Cheers.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #166
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
One thing to watch for with DVD - dual-sided discs. Those have serious issues if they are not manufactured with the highest quality. The two sides can separate and oxidation can set in, rendering the disc unplayable. My Battlestar Galactica Cylon-head box set (the 1978 series with the original large-size head box set) were all dual-sided discs. Over half of the discs in the set rotted in just a few years, becoming unplayable. I discovered this the hard way when I tried to watch an episode one night. I then went in and discovered just how bad the situation was. I contacted Universal and they replaced the defective discs, but warned me they would not replace them again. Like it was my fault their discs were rotting in the box.

Ever since I've avoided dual-sided DVDs, especially by Universal. I bought Buck Rogers when it was originally sold as dual-sided discs, like Galactica. They recently re-released the episodes again as single-sided discs. I bought them again as single-sided because I fully expect the dual-sided set to rot just as Galactica did. I hate to give Universal any more money, but I like the series and want it to remain playable for me down the road.

Of course blu-ray discs won't have this issue thankfully.
This seems like an isolated incident. I have a few double sided DVDs and I haven't had problems with any of them--some of them are 5 years or older.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #167
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal Savage View Post
All DVDs are dual-sided. They are all manufactured the same way by having two "platters" fastened together by a curing process whether they are DVD-5 (SS-SL), DVD-9 (SS-DL), DVD-10 (DS-SL),DVD-14 (DS-SL-DL9), or DVD-18 (DS-DL-DL).

However, discs with multiple layers spread across two sides (DVD-14 and DVD-18) are more difficult to manufacture and more prone to having defects that will eventually render the discs unplayable.
You're right of course - all DVDs are bonded together with 2 platters. But generally when referred to as "dual-sided" it is generally understood that we're talking about both sides being playable, which as you noted can cause more issues.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #168
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredking9000 View Post
This seems like an isolated incident. I have a few double sided DVDs and I haven't had problems with any of them--some of them are 5 years or older.
I'm glad to hear it. I'm still paranoid about it though. I have a few other dual-sided discs and I'd hate for them to go bad. I can't believe what happened to the Galactica discs.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #169
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
I'm glad to hear it. I'm still paranoid about it though. I have a few other dual-sided discs and I'd hate for them to go bad. I can't believe what happened to the Galactica discs.
I hear you, I have a couple of OOP titles that aren't on blu-ray that I would hate to have to re-buy. The Galactica set was probably a manufacturing defect though, just based on how many of the discs went bad.

Last edited by shredking9000; 04-10-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #170

Sep 2009
Room 318, The Langham Huntington, Pasadena
Default Waves and veins, cigarettes and heat.

(Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just noticed that grrrarg had responded to my post about waves/"veins" in the clear plastic!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrarg View Post
that is the difference between the 2 different packaging methods:

1) cellophane with y-folds at the top and bottom (you'll know it when you see it) - this method will never damage the case.

vs

2) heat shrinkwrapping, where there is just a seam along the edges and it uses a cheaper plastic wrap (this will damage the plastic on the actual blu-ray case most of the time and cause the issues you described)
You know, that's it. Of course. I used to work in a cassette/VHS duplication house and we used both these methods. The first is called "cigarrette wrap" from its use on cig packs and is done at room temperature in a machine. The second is actual "shrinkwrapping": putting the product in a clear plastic bag and sending it through a heat tunnel, which shrinks the wrapping around the product.

I will petition shrinkwrapping!

Quote:
As for That 70's Show -- Mill Creek only uses heat shrinkwrapping from what I know, so every copy produced will be damaged in the way you described. You'll really need to just buy replacement cases if you want the release since it isn't possible to get one without the plastic damaged at retail.
And that's exactly what I did since my post; just bought a couple 4-disc cases from Casetopia.

Quote:
I swap out all of my cases that were heat shrinkwrapped.
Oh, between veins and ecos, Disc Masters gets business from me!
Keeper of the Definitive Blu-ray SteelBook List and the Non-Blue Coloured Amaray Cases thread.
Want slipcovers for: Memento lenticular (Canada), The Cell (Canada), Wallace and Gromit Collection (US)
Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #171
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

It's not always as easy as replacing the case, though. I have a fair number of BDs (and DVDs!) that were so overheated in the shrinkwrapping process that the case slick has been permanently crumpled as well.

In the early, more innocent days of the DVD era, distributors would fairly readily replace damaged slicks, often free of charge. These days? Not a chance. We're all pirates, of course, unless we can prove otherwise. (And there's bugger-all chance of that.)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America