Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planes (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Angry Birds Toons: Season One - Volume Two (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
The Sword in the Stone (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Rescuers / The Rescuers Down Under (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #161
Special Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Yes, I know what day for night is. But to say it's not used anymore is quite incorrect.
In the style that it was used in Shane, it is. Any modern movies shot day for night are adjusted using computers.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #162

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
In the style that it was used in Shane, it is. Any modern movies shot day for night are adjusted using computers.
Well, "in the style that it was used in Shane" wasn't part of the arguments being made. It was just constantly asserted that day-for-night isn't being used anymore. Which is patently false.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #163

Nov 2012
Los Angeles
Default My father-in-law's favorite movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
Price just dropped on this to 8.96...
Contemplating finally snagging this, since it's my father-in-law's favorite movie and I've never seen it. Judging by the 9 page thread here, I'll take it that it's a solid enough flick to warrant a blind buy for some added family bonding...
Collector of stuff...
Old 02-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #164
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C. View Post
Contemplating finally snagging this, since it's my father-in-law's favorite movie and I've never seen it. Judging by the 9 page thread here, I'll take it that it's a solid enough flick to warrant a blind buy for some added family bonding...
Look at it this way -- it's #45 on AFI's top movies of all time list, it's the highest ranked western other than The Searchers, and according to the reviewers it's a beautiful looking transfer. Worth it.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx
Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #165

Oct 2012

Quote:
It's a great Blu-ray of a great film! Buy it!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #166
Expert Member

Mar 2013

I just got a viewing in tonight. Great, great film. I cried.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #167
Special Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Well, "in the style that it was used in Shane" wasn't part of the arguments being made. It was just constantly asserted that day-for-night isn't being used anymore. Which is patently false.
The day for night filming technique as used in old films like these is no longer used. The vast majority of films taking place at night are actually shot at night, and anything else that's filmed "day for night" these days is adjusted digitally after the fact so it doesn't have that dull, dusky look that old films had. Obviously that's what the person who brought this topic up was talking about.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #168

Sep 2011

Quote:
The day for night filming technique as used in old films like these is no longer used. The vast majority of films taking place at night are actually shot at night, and anything else that's filmed "day for night" these days is adjusted digitally after the fact so it doesn't have that dull, dusky look that old films had. Obviously that's what the person who brought this topic up was talking about.
Yes! Thank you, it was.
"She's my.......cousin. She's from....France".
Old 02-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #169
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Finally ordered this yesterday. Couldn't pass up $8.96.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #170

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

[QUOTE=baheidstu;8805410]The day for night filming technique as used in old films like these is no longer used. The vast majority of films taking place at night are actually shot at night, and anything else that's filmed "day for night" these days is adjusted digitally after the fact so it doesn't have that dull, dusky look that old films had. Obviously that's what the person who brought this topic up was talking about.[/QUOTE
The technique is still used today sometimes. According to IMDB:
"All of the night scenes involving Andy, Tammy, Scarlet, Doyle and Sam's journey across London to escape the bombs were shot day-for-night using a new technique created specifically for the film by director of photography Enrique Chediak. The scenes were shot day-for-night for three reasons. Firstly, because the filmmakers weren't allowed to use Mackintosh Muggleton (Andy) at night time. Secondly, because there is supposed to be a total shut down of all power in London, hence every building must appear light-less. However, if one were to actually shoot at night time in London, this would be impossible to capture photo-realistically and would hence involve complex post-production work removing all of the lights. By shooting during the day time however, there are few lights on in most buildings anyway, and as such, when the day-for-night treatment is applied to the film stock, everything in the image darkens equally, thus giving the impression that all of the buildings are in total darkness. Thirdly, director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has always been a big fan of the 'ghostly' quality day-for-night shooting has, and he felt it would create the perfect sense of unease for the film."
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #171
Special Member

Jun 2012
Canada

[quote=ewsjr;8806806]
Quote:
The day for night filming technique as used in old films like these is no longer used. The vast majority of films taking place at night are actually shot at night, and anything else that's filmed "day for night" these days is adjusted digitally after the fact so it doesn't have that dull, dusky look that old films had. Obviously that's what the person who brought this topic up was talking about.[/QUOTE
The technique is still used today sometimes. According to IMDB:
"All of the night scenes involving Andy, Tammy, Scarlet, Doyle and Sam's journey across London to escape the bombs were shot day-for-night using a new technique created specifically for the film by director of photography Enrique Chediak. The scenes were shot day-for-night for three reasons. Firstly, because the filmmakers weren't allowed to use Mackintosh Muggleton (Andy) at night time. Secondly, because there is supposed to be a total shut down of all power in London, hence every building must appear light-less. However, if one were to actually shoot at night time in London, this would be impossible to capture photo-realistically and would hence involve complex post-production work removing all of the lights. By shooting during the day time however, there are few lights on in most buildings anyway, and as such, when the day-for-night treatment is applied to the film stock, everything in the image darkens equally, thus giving the impression that all of the buildings are in total darkness. Thirdly, director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has always been a big fan of the 'ghostly' quality day-for-night shooting has, and he felt it would create the perfect sense of unease for the film."
There's always gotta be someone!

Okay, if you read what you have posted, there are practical, technical and artistic reasons why day for night had to be used on 28 Weeks Later.

The point is, that as a routine filming technique, day for night as it was used on Shane and countless other pre-70s films is virtually extinct. Of course, there will occassionally be a film that uses it, but it's the same thing with black and white films. Yes, there is occassionally a film like Artist, Schindler's List or Nebraska which is made in black and white for effect, but just as a routine method of doing business, it's not done anymore. Similar thing with the old school style of day for night.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #172

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
Finally watched it! Looks fantastic for most part. But its ridiculously dark towards the end? Its quite hard to tell what's going on! Is it really supposed to look that way???
I agree and said so in my review on this site. Who ever did the adjustments over adjusted and so at least on some TV's such as mine all detail is lost. By comparison some of these scenes shown in the trailers are much brighter.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #173
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tns49 View Post
I agree and said so in my review on this site. Who ever did the adjustments over adjusted and so at least on some TV's such as mine all detail is lost. By comparison some of these scenes shown in the trailers are much brighter.
yes...I never saw your review I tried it on 3 different tv's and it was the same on all, could not make out what was going on at all. it knocks down my rating of the blu a bit.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #174

Nov 2012
Los Angeles
Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
Look at it this way -- it's #45 on AFI's top movies of all time list, it's the highest ranked western other than The Searchers, and according to the reviewers it's a beautiful looking transfer. Worth it.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
It's a great Blu-ray of a great film! Buy it!
Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and finally ordered a copy, along with Apocalypse Now which just dropped to $10 (the crappy version). Going to earn a lot of brownie points with the old man-in-law with this pickup. It better be as good as he's been fussing about to me for the past 18 years!

I'll be interested to keep an eye on how this day for night filming technique looks that you've all been debating in here too...
Collector of stuff...

Last edited by Matt C.; 02-21-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #175

Sep 2009

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and finally ordered a copy, along with Apocalypse Now which just dropped to $10 (the crappy version). Going to earn a lot of brownie points with the old man-in-law with this pickup. It better be as good as he's been fussing about to me for the past 18 years!

I'll be interested to keep an eye on how this day for night filming technique looks that you've all been debating in here too...
Only thing that sucks , and it's really always sucked ... Is the kids performance. It's just really not aged well. Just thinking about this kid , is this the same kid from 'the blob' ?

Ladd, Heflin and Palance are superb. Cinematography is over the top, and the writing is impeccable. Lots of seriously incredible subtexts for its time.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #176
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Great Western. Excellent PQ. Highly recommended!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America