Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Wars: Episodes IV-VI (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.27
Catch Me If You Can (Blu-ray)
$7.88
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Gods of Egypt 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Return of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Witch (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Spectre (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-05-2016, 04:17 AM   #2441
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihavecandygetnthevan View Post
what do you expect ? it was a colossal bomb and almost single handedly killed Disney animation.
Using your logic, they shouldn't have released Home on the Range, Dinosaur, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Oliver & Co or any of those DTV sequels to Blu-ray either.

There is absolutely more demand for Black Cauldron than any of the other mediocre Blu-ray films which have found Disney releases, because it has reached a cult status that none of the others ever reached.

Last edited by davlee1991; 02-05-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
disneyfreak53 (02-05-2016), rednowgreen (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #2442
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Just started grabbing some Disney animated film in BD in the past few weeks. I got Hercules, Tarzan & got a really great deal on a sealed The Lion King (with some slip damage on the side that faces in on the shelf so no big deal). Still need to grab some more of my person favorites but not all of them.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #2443

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
Using your logic, they shouldn't have released Home on the Range, Dinosaur, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Oliver & Co or any of those DTV sequels to Blu-ray either.

There is absolutely more demand for Black Cauldron than any of the other mediocre Blu-ray films which have found Disney releases, because it has reached a cult status that none of the others ever reached.
If the sales had been there for the DVD versions, they would have released the Blu-ray. They're not just holding it back for no reason.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #2444
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz05 View Post
If the sales had been there for the DVD versions, they would have released the Blu-ray. They're not just holding it back for no reason.
And I'm sure the DVD sales on Home on the Range and Kronk's New Groove were phenomenal...
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #2445

Dec 2013

Quote:
And I'm sure the DVD sales on Home on the Range and Kronk's New Groove were phenomenal...
Well Kronk's New Groove wouldn't matter, since it was paired with the original.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #2446
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
Well Kronk's New Groove wouldn't matter, since it was paired with the original.
But they didn't NEED to include it... It's not like the inclusion of Kronk's New Groove would encourage people to buy the first one... They could have sold it individually, and not given release to the sequel like Tarzan and Hercules...

Anyway, it's beyond the point. We know for a fact at some point there was plans for this - and there may still be - but for some reason unbeknownst to anyone it's either been cancelled or temporarily halted.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #2447

Dec 2013

Quote:

Quote:
I like how you cherry picked part of my post to make a nonsensical argument without any evidence because the only movies that did poorly but came close to breaking even on your "list" where treasure planet and home on the range. There might be a niche market for it like other movies Disney will never release but that doesn't make it a good decision for their current business model , but again like i said in my prior post its not getting a release because "monies" its never getting released because it almost killed Disney animation.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #2448

Feb 2016

Home on the Range arguably did just as much damage as The Black Cauldron. Regardless of BC being a black sheep, A Goofy Movie should have been released long before now. It's a beloved classic with an awesome soundtrack and it spawned a sequel. I remember there was a time when you couldn't go into KB Toys without hearing I2I over the in-store radio.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #2449
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
ND, USA
Default Official Disney Animated Films on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraTerrorestrial View Post
Home on the Range arguably did just as much damage as The Black Cauldron.
Not really. By the time Home on the Range was released, the writing was on the wall for traditional animation and Disney Animation was working on CG features for the indefinite future.

The layoffs in Burbank already occurred, the Florida studio (which was the primary studio that worked on Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear) was already being closed down after canceling My Peoples (which was supposed to be a hybrid traditional/CG film).

Home on the Range was released with very low expectations, and Chicken Little was supposed to be the next generation of Disney animation films. Thankfully, Chicken Little proved that mediocre stories, not traditional animation, were nearly killing Disney animation.

In contrast, The Black Cauldron's release occurred when Eisner-Wells-Katzenberg took over and were figuring out what to do with the animation studio. And the film did not help them have faith in the animation studio's future. Thankfully Roy Disney was determined to keep the heart of his father and uncle's studio alive and well. And the new generation of animators and storytellers stepped up to continue the legacy.
Thanks given by:
Ihavecandygetnthevan (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #2450

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
Not really. By the time Home on the Range was released, the writing was on the wall for traditional animation and Disney Animation was working on CG features for the indefinite future.

The layoffs in Burbank already occurred, the Florida studio (which was the primary studio that worked on Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear) was already being closed down after canceling My Peoples (which was supposed to be a hybrid traditional/CG film).

Home on the Range was released with very low expectations, and Chicken Little was supposed to be the next generation of Disney animation films. Thankfully, Chicken Little proved that mediocre stories, not traditional animation, were nearly killing Disney animation.

In contrast, The Black Cauldron's release occurred when Eisner-Wells-Katzenberg took over and were figuring out what to do with the animation studio. And the film did not help them have faith in the animation studio's future. Thankfully Roy Disney was determined to keep the heart of his father and uncle's studio alive and well. And the new generation of animators and storytellers stepped up to continue the legacy.

Thanks. I was under the impression that Home on the Range alone was what killed the 2D animation division. I didn't realize it was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #2451
Power Member

Jul 2011

Hoping they'll finally just release Black Cauldron and the last two combo packs to finish it off, but then again I never would have thought they'd have the nerve to not do a Diamond of Pinocchio. It is troubling that they would literally not put the last of their animated titles on bd, considering all the other useless crap Disney forces on us that nobody wants. Some people really like Black Cauldron!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #2452
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
Hoping they'll finally just release Black Cauldron and the last two combo packs to finish it off, but then again I never would have thought they'd have the nerve to not do a Diamond of Pinocchio. It is troubling that they would literally not put the last of their animated titles on bd, considering all the other useless crap Disney forces on us that nobody wants. Some people really like Black Cauldron!
Ive never seen it but id give it a chance on BD. Im tempted to grab a DVD copy just to see what could've been so bad about it. As for Pinocchio it may not have gotten a Diamond edition but itll most likely get a Signature edition.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #2453
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness2918 View Post
Ive never seen it but id give it a chance on BD. Im tempted to grab a DVD copy just to see what could've been so bad about it. As for Pinocchio it may not have gotten a Diamond edition but itll most likely get a Signature edition.
It wasn't that bad, but it was not a cutesy Childrens animated musical.

Even the theatrical Ebert gave it 3.5/4, RT score is 55% so borderline Fresh/Rotten. It had great potential and who knows what it would have been had it been allowed to become what it was originally intended
Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #2454

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness2918 View Post
Trust me when I say that you've probably never seen an animated Disney movie quite like The Black Cauldron.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #2455

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayfriend View Post
Yeah, I'm REALLY, REALLY hoping we get some news of releases for the final five films. It doesn't make sense for Disney to not release them at all. Need be they should just release them as DMC exclusives. I know that would get me to sign up. I'm also hoping a potential Make Mine Music/Melody Time Blu-ray release would spark Disney into doing a digital release for the films too, since they're the only films in the Canon not to be available on Disney Movies Anywhere.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #2456
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz05 View Post
When originally released on home video, The Black Cauldron moved 5 million units in a week. It has since seen two releases on DVD. It does well enough to justify a Blu release.

The Disney company is currently having to deal with an embarrassment of riches, with Pixar and Marvel and LucasFilm and their own animated and live action slate. They have to plan accordingly, and carefully, to avoid competing with their own releases. I've seen the new master for The Three Caballeros, and it's a joy and a long time coming. Cauldron is traditionally a Halloween/October title, but with Marvel's slate and Pixar's Finding Dory, we might see it in August.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #2457
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
ND, USA
Default Official Disney Animated Films on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
When originally released on home video, The Black Cauldron moved 5 million units in a week. It has since seen two releases on DVD. It does well enough to justify a Blu release.

The Disney company is currently having to deal with an embarrassment of riches, with Pixar and Marvel and LucasFilm and their own animated and live action slate. They have to plan accordingly, and carefully, to avoid competing with their own releases. I've seen the new master for The Three Caballeros, and it's a joy and a long time coming. Cauldron is traditionally a Halloween/October title, but with Marvel's slate and Pixar's Finding Dory, we might see it in August.
August might be problematic, as Zootopia (which will be theatrically released early March) could see its BD release anywhere from June to September.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #2458
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Any month, of the year, is a good time to release The Black Cauldron on BD!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #2459
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
August might be problematic, as Zootopia (which will be theatrically released early March) could see its BD release anywhere from June to September.
I hear that. Hoping for a Saludos/Caballeros release in late April, early May.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #2460
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

I still need to see the Black Cauldron in its entirety. It looks good.
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
animated, animation, canon, classics, disney, official, pixar, release, status