Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$4.99
6 hrs ago
Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
13 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
3 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada
Default Having diffuculties with my Pioneer BDP-140

So, I've been enjoying my pioneer player, so much so that the 30 day return policy is almost up. Just tonight however, I've discovered a problem. I'm not sure if this should be here or in the Music category, as it involves my SACD's, but I'll put it here for now.

I've discovered, while attempting to change through the different levels of my "Downward Spiral" NIN SACD, I can't change from the 5.1 mix. It says on the back of the disc case that there is 5.1, stereo and CD quality on the disc, but I can't change through. I tried my Mark Knopfler "Shangri-la" SACD and had the same problem.

Is this a known issue, and I should return the player, or am I not hitting the right buttons. I've tried pretty much every button on the remote, but none have been successful. Little help, please?
Sharp Quattron LC-70EQ10U Display
XBox One
Motorola DCX3510-M Cable DVR
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Polk RTi A1 and CSi A4 center and RTi4 surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

Dec 2010
Victoria, Australia

Are you trying to change from 5.1 to 2 channel while the disc is playing? From memory the disc needs to be stopped.

I have this player and Downward Spiral SACD so i will have a go later and let you know.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

No, I tried both while playing and stopped. To be fair, the remote was a pain to use, it was like it would work sometimes, and then decide it's done for the night. I got sick of it, and exchanged it for a Sony BDP-S390. Quieter, the disc drawer doesn't sound like someone crunching a bag of walnuts when opening, and it works with my SACD's just fine. Funny how what one could perceive as a lower quality player seems to work better than the Pioneer. I'm happy now. But thanks.
XBox One
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman2k2 View Post
No, I tried both while playing and stopped. To be fair, the remote was a pain to use, it was like it would work sometimes, and then decide it's done for the night. I got sick of it, and exchanged it for a Sony BDP-S390. Quieter, the disc drawer doesn't sound like someone crunching a bag of walnuts when opening, and it works with my SACD's just fine. Funny how what one could perceive as a lower quality player seems to work better than the Pioneer. I'm happy now. But thanks.
Did you contact Pioneer about this and also is there a firmware update for the player that you didn't update it with yet?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

I had updated the unit, using a USB stick, as the online updater wasn't working. No, I didn't contact Pioneer though, as I said, I was on the last day of whether I could exchange it or not. BestBuy, the store I bought it at, was discontinuing the player, and I didn't want to be left holding the bag on a player that didn't do what I needed it to. So I returned it instead.

One thing I didn't mention in the OP, it also paused for a few seconds during playback of blurays. It reminded me of an old DVD player without progressive scan. I don't think blu's have a second layer, so I was unsure why that was happening either. I did receive the player in the mail, and the box was damaged too, so I'm not sure how much of a factor that was to the whole situation.
XBox One
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders