Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Gone Girl (Blu-ray)
$13.00
101 Dalmatians (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Dumb and Dumber To (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$50.99
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Veep: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$10.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which are you going to buy?
Demons Limited Steelbook 181 46.65%
Demons 2 Limited Steelbook 145 37.37%
Waiting for Demons standard release 201 51.80%
Waiting for Demons 2 standard release 151 38.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #2221

Nov 2013
Duluth, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
I still haven't picked up these. Still torn. Want the disc content of the steelbooks but don't want the steelbooks (don't like the new art) nor the price. Is the demand more for the steel or for the disc content? Does anyone think selling the steelbook cases for both films would recoup a good chunk of the cost if I were to try that? I could just print up custom inserts or something.
Speaking for myself, these discs could have come in paper sleeves and I wouldn't have been THAT upset. The discs themselves were 100% my reason for purchasing.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #2222
Power Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
Speaking for myself, these discs could have come in paper sleeves and I wouldn't have been THAT upset. The discs themselves were 100% my reason for purchasing.
If I liked the art, I could have figured the packaging design into justifying the price, but since I dislike it, I can't. So it's $46 + shipping (each) for the disc content alone for me. I have spent more (Possession MV LE), but not all films are created equal, and not all deluxe packaging ends up the way I'd like it to be.
Wanted:
Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers:
'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', 'The Exorcist', 'A Clockwork Orange'
Criterion: 'Chungking Express' Replacement Sleeve Insert OR Digipak, 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #2223
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca213 View Post
Yes, from Synapse's website. Not many left though.
Diabolik has some too.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/search/pa...l?_srch=Demons
Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #2224
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

I keep expecting to read low quantity stock updates for these. I wonder if the steep price is keeping these from selling out. I'm quite happy with my 2 steelbooks but I can understand why casual fans would be hesitant to pick them up. These movies are an acquired taste.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #2225
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

I had bought the steelbook for the first movie, but then ended up selling it along with my Anchor Bay DVDs for more than the initial cost of those combined, plus the cost of the two barebones Synapse blu-rays.

So basically, when all was said and done, I ended up with free copies of the two barebones releases, plus a nice little profit. Had never intended to do it that way, but that's just the way it happened due to Synapse releasing the non-steelbook versions so far after the fact.

Sure, the barebones editions are missing some stuff, but considering that I basically got them for free, I'm all set and completely happy with them.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Movies for sale (includes a few brand new Criterions)
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #2226

Nov 2014
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
I keep expecting to read low quantity stock updates for these. I wonder if the steep price is keeping these from selling out. I'm quite happy with my 2 steelbooks but I can understand why casual fans would be hesitant to pick them up. These movies are an acquired taste.
I believe Don said there were under 100 left of each. That was awhile ago.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #2227

Feb 2013

Anyone know how long it usually takes Synapse to ship one of the steels? I ordered on January 8 and still haven't received it.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #2228
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post
Anyone know how long it usually takes Synapse to ship one of the steels? I ordered on January 8 and still haven't received it.
Contact them. It shouldn't be more than a few days after ordering.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #2229
Power Member

Mar 2011

I wonder if - after the steels sell out - he'd ever consider releasing a third edition that includes all the extras, at a price point somewhere between the steelbook and basic editions.
Wanted:
Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers:
'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', 'The Exorcist', 'A Clockwork Orange'
Criterion: 'Chungking Express' Replacement Sleeve Insert OR Digipak, 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Old 02-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #2230

May 2014
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
I wonder if - after the steels sell out - he'd ever consider releasing a third edition that includes all the extras, at a price point somewhere between the steelbook and basic editions.
It's possible, but if he does, he'd damage the prospects of any future higher-priced limited edition he would put out. Sure, some people collect steelbooks and would be OK to pay more for them, but I only bought these because I wanted the films and all the extras and that was the only way to get them - I don't care about steelbooks and I also didn't like the art on the steelbooks. But I was buying a limited pressing of these two films, and that was their cost. Synapse handled it PERFECTLY in my opinion, by eventually releasing a much-cheaper general release version for fans who don't care that much about extras, basically movie-only editions. Thus, making those fans happy, and also not pi$$ing off the uber-fans who had already spent top dollar to support the complete deluxe limited editions. You want the deluxe, pay the premium. If not, buy the later bare-bones. But to reissue the premium versions later on at a cheaper price, even if it's just by losing the steelbooks, will prevent many of us (including myself, who prefer regular Blu cases over steelbooks) from ever buying the initial higher-priced release. And we all know Suspiria and the other two Argentos will probably follow this exact sales model. I'll be jumping in for the steelbooks immediately, after seeing that Synapse won't punish those fans by regurgitating the exact release in a cheaper version later on.
Thanks given by:
EvilResident (02-27-2015), TripleHBK (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #2231

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
It's possible, but if he does, he'd damage the prospects of any future higher-priced limited edition he would put out. Sure, some people collect steelbooks and would be OK to pay more for them, but I only bought these because I wanted the films and all the extras and that was the only way to get them - I don't care about steelbooks and I also didn't like the art on the steelbooks. But I was buying a limited pressing of these two films, and that was their cost. Synapse handled it PERFECTLY in my opinion, by eventually releasing a much-cheaper general release version for fans who don't care that much about extras, basically movie-only editions. Thus, making those fans happy, and also not pi$$ing off the uber-fans who had already spent top dollar to support the complete deluxe limited editions. You want the deluxe, pay the premium. If not, buy the later bare-bones. But to reissue the premium versions later on at a cheaper price, even if it's just by losing the steelbooks, will prevent many of us (including myself, who prefer regular Blu cases over steelbooks) from ever buying the initial higher-priced release. And we all know Suspiria and the other two Argentos will probably follow this exact sales model. I'll be jumping in for the steelbooks immediately, after seeing that Synapse won't punish those fans by regurgitating the exact release in a cheaper version later on.
I REALLY hope they don't do this again with the other Argentos. I can't stand steelbooks but don't want to sacrifice extras either. If they insist on steelbooks then there should be 2 editions with the same extras right out of the gates so there is at least a choice for those who prefer standard packaging. I'd even be ok spending around $25-30 for non-steelbook special editions since I know it can be costly to produce proper restorations and bonus features & stuff.

Last edited by zombi3; 02-26-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Thanks given by:
schlock (02-26-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America