Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
16 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
16 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
Coming to America (Blu-ray)
$4.99
3 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Mar 2012
Default "Click" on 3D

For those who don't know "Click" is a weekly technology show on the BBC news channel and they are pretty up to date with all the latest technology. I was a bit concerned with the preview which posed the question "Is 3D dead" so I watched it and I'm pleased to say that the answer is "No". The problem is that when it was launched there were too many "expectations" from manufacturers who expected it to become more mainstream than it has done.

Add to this the following problems...

poor content

confusion over glasses

high prices

exclusive deals

the need to buy separate glasses with 3D TVs

adult sized glasses for mainly children's 3D animations

.... etc etc and so the whole introduction of it was a shambles and quite naive at times. Everyone wanted to jump in on the bandwagon and make money from this "cash cow" but not enough thought and consideration went into 3D across the market. Currently, manufacturers are pushing or working towards the next phase of 3D, glasses-free, alongside other features like 4K resolution etc.

So the overall consensus was that 3D is here and here to stay but has not impacted in the way that manufacturers naively thought it would (due to the reasons stated above).

Personally, I believe that 3D is of minority interest anyway (just like HD)...not everyone is interested in it or even likes it and even 3D fans (myself included) quite often just want to watch occasional "event" movies and/or programs in 3D to try to keep it a fresh experience. Perhaps the introduction of glasses free 3D will change all of that in the near future though? Who knows?

Gae

Last edited by Gae; 02-16-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #2

Nov 2010

Click has always seemed to me to be pretty negative about 3D in its editorial stance. quick to point out its failings with the main presenter taking a swipe in a lot of his intros (today being a perfect example) or maybe it’s just his cynical tone.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Mar 2012

The "Click" item can be seen Here

Gae
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion