Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Combo (Blu-ray)
£8.99

The Equalizer 2 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99
17 hrs ago
Force of Evil (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Kong: Skull Island 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.69

The Mystery of Picasso (Blu-ray)
£8.99

X-Men: Apocalypse 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.99
9 hrs ago
A Matter of Life and Death (Blu-ray)
£17.99
20 hrs ago
Dark River (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Ramrod (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Eyeball (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
£14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 05-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #161
Power Member

Dec 2012
UK

The image on the Sonatine cover is flipped? Looks bad..
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #162
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
On Amazon.de people say that the PQ is actually really good, but there are a few flaws. It seems the picture is moving around a bit to the left or right for 1 or 2 frames on cuts and this didn't happen for the DVD release.

In any case - it seems it has German subtitles only.

It also includes a 16-page booklet.
I think it may be that Gate Weave that the guys at Third Window were talking about when they were doing Hana-bi. They said there was no stabilizer in place when the HD print was made.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #163

Jul 2016
Preston, UK

Hey all. I just joined this forum after searching all over the net trying to get my hands on the Hana-Bi blu-ray with slipcover. It seems that I have a verrrrrry slim chance of getting it though. If anyone can point me in the direction of where I might be able to find it, that'd be a great help. I've already pestered sellers on ebay and Amazon, without much luck (or response) :-p.

Last edited by swampwater; 07-24-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #164
Power Member

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwater View Post
Hey all. I just joined this forum after searching all over the net trying to get my hands on the Hana-Bi blu-ray with slipcover. It seems that I have a verrrrrry slim chance of getting it though. If anyone can point me in the direction of where I might be able to find it, that'd be a great help. I've already pestered sellers on ebay and Amazon, without much luck (or response) :-p.
eBay is likely your only shot online, so it might be a waiting game. HMV and Fopp stocked them on the high street but it was limited to 1000 and sold very fast so all the stock I've seen for quite some time has been the new cover without the slip.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #165

Jul 2016
Preston, UK

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I thought eventually they'll show up on ebay. I'll have to pop into my local HMV just to double check though!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #166
Power Member

Dec 2012
UK

Speaking of Hana-Bi I finally opened the blu ray and watched it on the weekend. Very nice job with the picture, and sound was a little louder than the Kikujiro one.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #167

Jan 2016
Thailand

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I thought eventually they'll show up on ebay. I'll have to pop into my local HMV just to double check though!
I was in the same situation like you a couple of months ago. Been trying to hunt down for the limited slip case, but got no luck. Fortunately, a couple of weeks ago I was able to grab it brand new for 8ish. So be patient and keep an eye on ebay, it will show up there eventually.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #168

Feb 2013

Glad to see all those classic Kitano movies come out, especially DOLLS and A SCENE AT THE SEA.

Is SONATINE planned later as well or it isn't at Third Window?
Old 08-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #169

Jul 2016
Preston, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Dam View Post
Glad to see all those classic Kitano movies come out, especially DOLLS and A SCENE AT THE SEA.

Is SONATINE planned later as well or it isn't at Third Window?
I asked if they were releasing any more Kitano (and Miike) films after the next two upcoming releases, and was told they didn't have much money to purchase the "bigger" titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillKillKills View Post
I was in the same situation like you a couple of months ago. Been trying to hunt down for the limited slip case, but got no luck. Fortunately, a couple of weeks ago I was able to grab it brand new for 8ish. So be patient and keep an eye on ebay, it will show up there eventually.
Wow, 8! That's crazy. I managed to grab it on ebay! It turned up a few days after I posted. It was 20 though, but worth it, for me, as Kitano is one of my favourite directors.

I bought Dolls direct from Third Window, with the slipcover. I have the others pre-ordered. So the only one I'm looking for now is Kikujiro with the slipcover. HMV didn't even bother ordering them as they were "too expensive to stock". Ok...
Thanks given by:
Jerry_Dam (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #170
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

Quote:
I asked if they were releasing any more Kitano (and Miike) films after the next two upcoming releases, and was told they didn't have much money to purchase the "bigger" titles.
Very disappointing. Though any company releasing Sonatine would make me happy, they wouldn't do it like Third Window. They really love the films they put out and it shows in their packaging and supplements.
Thanks given by:
Jerry_Dam (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #171

Jul 2016
Preston, UK

Yeah, I would have loved to get a blu-ray upgrade for my Beat Takeshi Trilogy DVD set. :-(
Thanks given by:
Fabs (08-08-2016), Poon Dong (08-09-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #172
Power Member

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Very disappointing. Though any company releasing Sonatine would make me happy, they wouldn't do it like Third Window. They really love the films they put out and it shows in their packaging and supplements.
Yeah, I particularly think of Adam taking the time/money to fix the gate weave issue on the Hana-bi master Office Kitano supplied. Fingers crossed there will be no issues with the other releases, but we know TWF does it with genuine love.
Thanks given by:
rapta (08-07-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #173
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematt View Post
Yeah, I particularly think of Adam taking the time/money to fix the gate weave issue on the Hana-bi master Office Kitano supplied. Fingers crossed there will be no issues with the other releases, but we know TWF does it with genuine love.
I finally got round to watching Hana-bi this weekend (I know, over 6 months later than I'd originally planned to) and have to say the film looked pretty damn excellent in my opinon! A few flecks here and there but nothing that spoiled it for me (cinewobble essentially eliminated too).

Looking forward to watching the others. Not sure whether to hit Dolls next (which I haven't seen before) or refresh my memory of Kikujiro. Pretty excited for the other two to arrive too - hopefully the price drops similarly though, as September and October are going to be expensive months!

PS: I think there was a weird motion warp for a second in one scene though - I don't want to spoil the scene but it was a crane shot over the hood of a car in a snowy scene - unless I was just imagining it. I didn't pause and rewind the film because I was enjoying it so much. It looks inherent to the source though...I doubt it's a digital error.
Thanks given by:
Andrew354 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #174
Expert Member

Mar 2015
UK

I know people are quick to suggest Kickstarter nowadays and probably already have done, but could that even be a possibility with the other Kitano titles for Third Window?
Would love to have the likes of Sonatine, Violent Cop, Boiling Point etc, and would even be willing to pay a bit more to get them released with the same care and quality the other titles have enjoyed.
Thanks given by:
CastrosfriendChe (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #175
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_C View Post
I know people are quick to suggest Kickstarter nowadays and probably already have done, but could that even be a possibility with the other Kitano titles for Third Window?
Would love to have the likes of Sonatine, Violent Cop, Boiling Point etc, and would even be willing to pay a bit more to get them released with the same care and quality the other titles have enjoyed.
I'd be up for that!
Old 08-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #176
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

I'd donate in a heartbeat, but I believe someone said that kickstarter cannot be used to get new licenses or something.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #177
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
I'd donate in a heartbeat, but I believe someone said that kickstarter cannot be used to get new licenses or something.
I would imagine you could do a kickstarter once you obtain the license, but you probably can't use a kickstarter to *get* the license. If someone else got the license before your kickstarter completed, you wouldn't be able to deliver.

Last edited by shadedpain4; 08-09-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #178

Jul 2016
Preston, UK

I'd love to contribute to a Kickstarter, to bring his other films to blu-ray. Arrow had an indiegogo for the box of gore, but I'm guessing they already had the films licensed before then. Such a shame that we probably won't see his other films released with such care.
Thanks given by:
Fabs (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #179

Feb 2015
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Such a shame that Third Window may not be able to release some of the 'big' Takeshi films. They've done a great job so far and I love the artwork / slipcovers.

I see that Violent Cop and Boiling Point are coming out in the US in October from a label called Film Movement...

...hopefully these will be of good quality and region free.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #180
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

The Boiling Point art is... interesting.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland