COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Fair Lady (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.18
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Eraserhead (Blu-ray)
$28.80
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Aug 2008
Default Region B Player that will work with North American TVs

Hello everyone --

I've been thinking about getting a Region Free blu-ray player. The cost for a name-brand player is a bit more than I want to spend, and I really don't want a no-name Seiki, Orei or anything similar.

Most of what I can't play now can be found on Region B discs. I don't think I need to worry about Region C.

Does anyone know if any region B blu-ray players will work out-of-the-box on a North American TV? The issues I'm thinking of are:
1) does the player work with both 110V and 220V? and
2) if the player can handle both 50hz and 60hz, will it convert/output all 50hz content as 60hz?

Are there any other issues I need to consider?

Can anyone recommend a Region B player for around $150 or less that would be compatible with North American TVs?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandk View Post
Hello everyone --

I've been thinking about getting a Region Free blu-ray player. The cost for a name-brand player is a bit more than I want to spend, and I really don't want a no-name Seiki, Orei or anything similar.

Most of what I can't play now can be found on Region B discs. I don't think I need to worry about Region C.

Does anyone know if any region B blu-ray players will work out-of-the-box on a North American TV? The issues I'm thinking of are:
1) does the player work with both 110V and 220V? and
2) if the player can handle both 50hz and 60hz, will it convert/output all 50hz content as 60hz?

Are there any other issues I need to consider?

Can anyone recommend a Region B player for around $150 or less that would be compatible with North American TVs?

Thanks.
You can probably find what you want by downloading the manuals of UK players and reading them to find out whether they do what you want. Your biggest problem may be getting it shipped to the US. When I tried to buy a UK player, Amazon would not ship it to the US. Some online sites may ship to the US, or you might look for what they call a "freight forwarder," or you could have a friend in the UK buy/forward it, or get on a plane and buy it yourself.

Add: Although the feature on UK Blu-rays is usually 1080p/24 fps and works with a US display, some or all of the "extras" may be encoded in PAL rather than NTSC SD format.

If you get a player that won't convert PAL/50 Hz to NTSC/60 Hz, you could have an additional problem: Getting to the main menu, if there is any content of that sort preceeding the main menu.

Personally, I would rule-out any players that don't have an international power supply -- one that will work anywhere (110/220 V and 50/60 Hz). You may have to get a plug converter to use it, however, because region B power outlets may be different.

Last edited by joie; 04-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

I can't think of many players than will work on the 2 powers systems apart from the PlayStation 3 which converts the power automatically (you just need to change the power lead). I'd check to see if your TV can handle 50hz material to improve your options.

Panasonic players output both 50 and 60hz material but they mostly have a 220-240V 50hz power supply, even if they have removable power leads.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Read this thread. Its something you can look forward to:

Seiki SR212S BD player

Its Dual voltage (120v-220v) and can be plugged straight out of the box to any socket in USA or UK etc without any converters etc and also it supports both 50Hz and 60 Hz too so you can watch each and every Region A or B movie on your USA, UK or European TV set. The only bad thing is that the remote is not of good quality. You have to point it directly towards the player to work.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandk View Post
... and I really don't want a no-name Seiki, Orei or anything similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
Read this thread. Its something you can look forward to:
Seiki SR212S BD player
I think that's something he doesn't want.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #6

Sep 2009
Queens, NY

Have you tried looking at places like Bombay Electronics. They've got some LG's around $170, $180
Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
I think that's something he doesn't want.
Ah sorry didnt see that. So the only option left is to buy a hardware modified player like punking said above.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jul 2010

On Amazon, the Orei has very good reviews. I just got mine delivered today but won't be able to check it out till I get a new TV in 2014.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #9

Aug 2009
Default ***kashif ***

kashif --A hardware mod is a lot more elegant, only one of every thing
If any thing goes wrong, only one behind to kick, and being bought locally is easier
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders