Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
3 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
4 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Oct 2008
Send a message via ICQ to Spitfrnd
Default Oppo / BRP Durability

I have had an Oppo 95 for a bit of 3 years now and it has been a joy for nearly all of that period. I had to have in repaired one after 10 months but the process was quick and painless. Now alas, it is having increasing difficulty reading BRDs, even the ones it has just played. Of course this has just happened outside the albeit generous 3 year warranty.

I have contacted Oppo yet but I am thinking the repair costs may make it time for a replacement. I use it for a 2-3 hours nearly every day. It that the limit of their life spans?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Dayton,Ohio

I would call Oppo and see if you can get it repaired reasonably. They may even warrant it if it's just out of warranty considering it was repaired once already. Worth the time to ask.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujacket View Post
I would call Oppo and see if you can get it repaired reasonably. They may even warrant it if it's just out of warranty considering it was repaired once already. Worth the time to ask.
Good point and worth a try!

Regarding a player's lifespan....I don't think 2-3 hours per day over the course of 3-4 years is excessive at all. I've had gear over 30 years old that still performs flawlessly. Granted that things aren't built like they were in decades gone by, but it should certainly be longer than 3-4 years.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

3 years? Wasn't the 95 officially release in March 2011 which would make it 2 years. If you do have a 3 year warranty then you'd still be covered. Even if not, contact Oppo and they may very well offer to repair it for no or minimal cost. It doesn't hurt to try.

But even at 2-3 hours a day, every day, for 3 years would but a little over 3-4k hours on the drive which doesn't sound all that long; not to mention you stated it had been replaced before thus the drive would have even less hours on it.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfrnd View Post
I have had an Oppo 95 for a bit of 3 years now and it has been a joy for nearly all of that period. I had to have in repaired one after 10 months but the process was quick and painless. Now alas, it is having increasing difficulty reading BRDs, even the ones it has just played. Of course this has just happened outside the albeit generous 3 year warranty.

I have contacted Oppo yet but I am thinking the repair costs may make it time for a replacement. I use it for a 2-3 hours nearly every day. It that the limit of their life spans?
How is it set up & where you keep it? Any pictures?
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

"What is dead may never die..."
Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfrnd View Post

Just contact them and ask. Oppo is not like other CE vendors when it comes to after warranty support they are quite reasonable. Yes as some one said, it was released March 2011, so no you haven't had the BDP-95 three years, only two. Normal daily playback shouldn't cause a loader failure with only 2 years usage.

Last edited by JohnAV; 03-10-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #7

Oct 2008

Thanks for all the replies but I was mistaken about the model (as corrected below). It is an 83 and I have had it since January 2010 so it is beyond its 2 year (another mistake) warranty. I found my repair report and the drive wasn't replaced but rather a defective memory module on the motherboard. Anyway, I will check with their CS to get a recommendation. Hard to believe the but 83 does seem dated at this point.

It is on an open shelf and connected directly to the PD.

I asked about the life due to what I think are the moving parts. I have an amp and preamp that are going on 15 years but haven't seen that kind of life from DVD and CD players and my first Pioneer Elite failed after 2 years.

Last edited by Spitfrnd; 03-10-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

There's two likely possibilities: the first is that there's dust or grease on the laser lens. That's very easy to fix. You might try using one of those CDs that have a little brush on it, although if the problem is grease, that won't take it off, it will just push it around. If the warranty is over and you feel technically adept, you might want to try to clean it yourself by taking apart the player. I don't know how accessible the laser lens is.

The other is that the laser is losing power. In that case, the transport will have to be replaced, but DVD drives are very inexpensive these days. You'd have to ask OPPO which OEM drives are equivalent or purchase the part from them if they'll sell you one. I replaced a drive in my standalone CD-R for only $23.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
There's two likely possibilities: the first is that there's dust or grease on the laser lens. That's very easy to fix. You might try using one of those CDs that have a little brush on it, although if the problem is grease, that won't take it off, it will just push it around. If the warranty is over and you feel technically adept, you might want to try to clean it yourself by taking apart the player. I don't know how accessible the laser lens is.

The other is that the laser is losing power. In that case, the transport will have to be replaced, but DVD drives are very inexpensive these days. You'd have to ask OPPO which OEM drives are equivalent or purchase the part from them if they'll sell you one. I replaced a drive in my standalone CD-R for only $23.
Very interesting. Oppo has since suggested I take the drive out to access and hand clean the laser and see if that solves the problem. It sounds straight forward but I will see how that goes when I have the time to do that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders