Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #161

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Muth View Post
but it pops up in other places too (for example, after
[Show spoiler]the arm amputation, as Jane is backing up into the little cubby area and turns around facing the killer, her nostrils keep disappearing during the shot! Go through it frame-by-frame you'll see what I mean
).
Chris
I have the Arrow disc, the new one and your described issue with disappearing nostrils is not there.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #162
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
I agree that the Wild Side master of TENEBRAE mostly looks great. The major issue is some aggressive automated dirt/scratch removal artifacts. The worst of these is when Peter Neil is ripping open the second letter from the killer, but it pops up in other places too (for example, after
[Show spoiler]the arm amputation, as Jane is backing up into the little cubby area and turns around facing the killer, her nostrils keep disappearing during the shot! Go through it frame-by-frame you'll see what I mean
). Synapse is trying to correct these as best they can, and is also trying to get the English-language insert shots.

Chris
That's great news, I was wondering about these artifacts and whether they'd be corrected. Does anyone know if the new Arrow released fixed these? I'm sure they were aware of them, as Lyris's brother brought the issue to everyone's attention on the Land of Whimsy website after the French disc was released.
Wanted: Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, and A Clockwork Orange.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #163
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
The Anchor Bay DVD looks terrible on any screen.

Not a 20" CRT.

It looked good back when it was first released. But that was 13 years ago.
Wanted: Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, and A Clockwork Orange.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #164
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
Not a 20" CRT.

It looked good back when it was first released. But that was 13 years ago.
Yeah that is the nature of the beast. 13 years ago I was quite content with that quality on a medium sized CRT but man have things changed. I used to never even question how the PQ looked, just watched the film...the only time I noticed was when it was exceptionally bad.
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Out of the Past (1947), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), Roman Holiday (1953), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Arabesque (1966), Blood Link (1982), The Inspector Betti Trilogy (75'-76'), Amuck (1972), Nightmare at Shadow Woods (1987), Mirage (1965), Waking The Dead (2000).
Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #165

Oct 2012

Quote:
Too bad that the Anchor Bay DVD looks terrible on a large screen.
Yeah, the detail sucks, but the blu-rays are just hideous. The DNR is insane and the colors were changed horrendously. I'd take the low detail over what they did with those.

Here are some good articles about Suspiria from a big fan, tons of screencaps and comparisons:

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc...mpression.html

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc...vandalism.html

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc...pressions.html

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc...e_colours.html

Great to hear Synapse is doing a new scan, sounds like someone will finally do this movie justice!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #166
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

I think Brian81 was referring to Anchor Bay's release of Tenebrae. Suspiria has solid DVD releases thankfully.
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Out of the Past (1947), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), Roman Holiday (1953), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Arabesque (1966), Blood Link (1982), The Inspector Betti Trilogy (75'-76'), Amuck (1972), Nightmare at Shadow Woods (1987), Mirage (1965), Waking The Dead (2000).
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #167

Jun 2010
Back Home

Quote:
If Synapse corrects the DNR artifacts as they plan to, it should be the best version of TENEBRAE in the world when it's released. Hopefully they can track down a high-quality source for an HD transfer of the English-language inserts, as well.
I'd like to see a menu option where you can choose to watch the film either with English or Italian inserts.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #168
Expert Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
I'd like to see a menu option where you can choose to watch the film either with English or Italian inserts.
If it's gonna be $50+ it'd be nice to have an option for all the different cuts of each film, including Unsane/Creepers too.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #169
Special Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
If it's gonna be $50+ it'd be nice to have an option for all the different cuts of each film, including Unsane/Creepers too.
Ordinarily, I'm all for alternate cuts being available. But I don't want the abomination known as "Creepers" adding one dollar to the price of this blu. It's absolutely NOT worth it.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #170
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
I think Brian81 was referring to Anchor Bay's release of Tenebrae. Suspiria has solid DVD releases thankfully.
No, I was actually speaking about Suspiria. I tried watching it recently on a front projection setup and it looked pretty ugly. Didn't look that way on an old CRT. It's just given it's 2.35:1 and a DVD.

I have Tenebre (Anchor Bay) also....that one was non-anamorphic - I don't even want to try it!

Last edited by Brian81; 03-05-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #171

Dec 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post
Ordinarily, I'm all for alternate cuts being available. But I don't want the abomination known as "Creepers" adding one dollar to the price of this blu. It's absolutely NOT worth it.
I am not going to lie, I would love to see Synapse put all three variations of the film on the set:
  1. The original Italian cut.
  2. The "extended" cut found on past DVD and Blu-ray releases (and can easily be done with seamless branching between the Italian cut).
  3. The US cut.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #172
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

Quote:
That's great news, I was wondering about these artifacts and whether they'd be corrected. Does anyone know if the new Arrow released fixed these? I'm sure they were aware of them, as Lyris's brother brought the issue to everyone's attention on the Land of Whimsy website after the French disc was released.
I don't know about the disappearing nostrils (!) but the glitch when Peter's opening up the letter is still there.
Favourite film: Blade Runner Favourite actor: Oliver Reed Favourite actress: Winona Ryder
Favourite directors: Lynch, Kubrick, Cronenberg, Argento, Hitchcock, Mizoguchi, Russell, Polanski
Favourite show: Twin Peaks Favourite novel: It (Stephen King)
Favourite album: Movement (New Order) Favourite video games: Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider II
Currently reading: Dr. No (Ian Fleming)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #173

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahadeva View Post
I have the Arrow disc, the new one and your described issue with disappearing nostrils is not there.
It's on the French Blu-ray and the original HDCAM-SR master, so maybe Arrow corrected it like Synapse is doing.

Chris

Last edited by Christian Muth; 03-05-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #174

Aug 2013

Quote:
It's on the French Blu-ray and the original HDCAM-SR master, so maybe Arrow corrected it like Synapse is doing.

Chris
I must apologise, the nostril issue is indeed on the Arrow release. But again it took me 4 or 5 viewings to notice it. It's not visisble if you don't know about it and only the right nostril of the actress vanishes. If that and the letter scene problem are the issues that Synapse are going to correct and release Tenebrae as a steelbook asking $45 like Demons BDs I'll pass because the Arrow release is a solid one.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #175
Special Member

Nov 2008
Minnesota

caps-a-holic added Arrow's steelbook to their list of comparisons.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...hd_multiID=185

Direct comparison with French (Wild Side) disc.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #176

Feb 2012

So it looks like the Arrow is darker and flesh tones are shifted towards the red.

Chris
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #177
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
So it looks like the Arrow is darker and flesh tones are shifted towards the red.

Chris
Yup, the Arrow steelbook obviously uses the same transfer as the French blu-ray, but Arrow darkened it for some bizarre reason. The French release looked just fine. I don't know why Arrow tends to darken their transfers. Compare Arrow's release of Phantom of the Paradise to the French release. There's a major difference in color as well (Arrow looks awful in that regard), but Arrow also went way too dark with their transfer. The French release is bright and colorful, yet has excellent black levels when needed. I hate when a transfer ends up too dark. Roger Ebert wrote an article long ago about theatres dimming their projector bulbs to try and extend the life of the bulbs, and how it's resulting in dim, under-brightened presentations. It's the same result when these transfers end up darker than they should be. I shouldn't have to bump up my backlight and throw things off just to compensate for a dark print. Shame Arrow didn't just do a straight transfer of the French release instead of tweaking it. I'm not saying Arrow always does this. But this time they felt the need to tweak it for some reason.

I'm not noticing the red shift though. The colors do look slightly deeper but that may be because the image is a tad bit darker.

Last edited by mar3o; 03-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #178

Aug 2010
London

Maybe Arrow's dark new transfer was a reaction to the excessive brightness of some of their own older transfers?

Oh well, we'll have the Synapse version eventually. I've already got 7 or 8 versions of the film on DVD and Blu-ray, I'll keep on buying 'em....
Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #179
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Q View Post
Maybe Arrow's dark new transfer was a reaction to the excessive brightness of some of their own older transfers?

Oh well, we'll have the Synapse version eventually. I've already got 7 or 8 versions of the film on DVD and Blu-ray, I'll keep on buying 'em....
That's not a bad theory. Some of their previous releases were indeed too bright. In this case, they should have seen that the French release is perfect as it was in terms of brightness.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #180
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Yup, the Arrow steelbook obviously uses the same transfer as the French blu-ray, but Arrow darkened it for some bizarre reason. The French release looked just fine. I don't know why Arrow tends to darken their transfers. Compare Arrow's release of Phantom of the Paradise to the French release. There's a major difference in color as well (Arrow looks awful in that regard), but Arrow also went way too dark with their transfer. The French release is bright and colorful, yet has excellent black levels when needed. I hate when a transfer ends up too dark. Roger Ebert wrote an article long ago about theatres dimming their projector bulbs to try and extend the life of the bulbs, and how it's resulting in dim, under-brightened presentations. It's the same result when these transfers end up darker than they should be. I shouldn't have to bump up my backlight and throw things off just to compensate for a dark print. Shame Arrow didn't just do a straight transfer of the French release instead of tweaking it. I'm not saying Arrow always does this. But this time they felt the need to tweak it for some reason.

I'm not noticing the red shift though. The colors do look slightly deeper but that may be because the image is a tad bit darker.
I wouldn't say Arrow darkens their transfers. Their release of Dressed to Kill and several others are a tad brighter than the US releases. Body Snatchers, that was the other one. No biggie.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America