COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$61.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.50
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
$13.89
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
A-Channel: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Step Up 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.68
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #61
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

The more I read up, the more I think I am comfortable without a preamp. I'm not thrilled with the range of the volume control. It seems that Volume 1 is around 65dB and Volume 60 is about 95dB - and it takes longer than I like to get up there. But its remote controlled, and it works, so I think that I will forgo the preamp. Not so much for the costs savings, but just removing another source coloring.

I read a great article which basically said (I'm paraphrasing), anything between the source and the speakers (cables, preamps, etc) takes away from the signal - not add to it. So good cables really don't "add" to the sound, it just degrades it less. That makes perfect sense to me, I just never thought about it that way until someone wrote it out. So, since I think I am comfortable with the way things are working out, I think I will leave the preamp out.
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #62

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
The more I read up, the more I think I am comfortable without a preamp. I'm not thrilled with the range of the volume control. It seems that Volume 1 is around 65dB and Volume 60 is about 95dB - and it takes longer than I like to get up there.
If the difference between 1 and 60 on the Oppo digital volume control is 30 dB, it sounds like the volume control operates in 0.5 dB increments. I just wonder why Oppo did not label it that way as a relative scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
...so I think that I will forgo the preamp. Not so much for the costs savings, but just removing another source coloring.
I would not worry about audible coloration in competent solid state electronics. There is little, if any scientific evidence to suggest that minute differences in frequency response and distortion levels can be reliably detected by human ears.

That said, there is no good reason to impose an unnecessary component. If the digital volume control meets your listening needs, then no preamp is required.

AJ
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #63
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Since deciding I don't need a preamp, a lot of things have changed. Namely, I have done the research and there just aren't that many amps out there that will allow me to go direct from my Oppo to the amp at 4v. In fact, the only ones I have found (under $10K) are from McIntosh which have a balanced input of 3.8v. Close enough, I assume, but the costs are really wearing me down. Its a lot of money to spend for amplification, no matter how good it may sound.

So I'm back looking at pre-amps, specifically revisiting the Axiom. I went back to their website, and noticed that they request your equipments source output and amp input voltage so they can tailor the Axiom to your setup. I didn't realize they could control that - I thought it was whatever went in came out.

My thought is, if the pre-amp can reduce the 4v signal to a more manageable 2v (which would pair nicely with an Emotiva XPA-1L at 1.8v or an older McIntosh at 2.5v) then I would open up the available amps for my choosing.

My concern is that I don't understand how this happens within the preamp. And if the process decreases audio fidelity. I ask upon the smart people of the forum, can you explain how a passive preamp accomplishes this and if there is any signal loss?
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems