COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$61.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.50
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
$13.89
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
A-Channel: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Step Up 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.68
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #181

Nov 2010

Is this an upscale from 1080p to 4k or real native 4k ?

If not, no interest.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #182
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joce View Post
Is this an upscale from 1080p to 4k or real native 4k ?

If not, no interest.
Breaking Bad was shot on 35mm for most of the episodes, and they scanned the actual negatives at 4K last year for the series.
"Oh, and on the off chance there are any astronomy aficionados amongst you, the North Star is that one. Tata." - Dr. King Schultz
Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #183
Expert Member

Jan 2010

I've also heard a sequel is in the works due to a friend being brought into a casting call...
Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #184

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeflick View Post
I've also heard a sequel is in the works due to a friend being brought into a casting call...
I believe there is a spin of show on Saul coming out this Fall, it could be he auditioned for that.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #185
Special Member

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
I believe there is a spin of show on Saul coming out this Fall, it could be he auditioned for that.
Better Call Saul is the new series. Filming is underway in Albuquerque now.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #186
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzo29 View Post
Better Call Saul is the new series. Filming is underway in Albuquerque now.
Excellent news! Can't wait for this series to debut!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:52 AM   #187
Power Member

Jun 2012
Blackburn, UK
Send a message via MSN to Hussun1 Send a message via Skype™ to Hussun1

The short teaser for Better Call Saul released a few weeks ago:

Thanks given by:
rickah88 (08-28-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #188

May 2009

J/w if there's a 4k release it won't have the features, right?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #189

Apr 2013

I have a question for hardcore Breaking Bad fans.

How would you rate the PQ quality for the individual seasons of the show on blu ray? I've read some really negative reviews for the blu ray transfers of seasons 1-4. Only the last half of season 5 has a really solid rating.

I'm too cheap right now to buy the complete series blu ray set, but I'm thinking about buying season 4 on blu ray. Would you say the season 4 blu ray transfer is a significant upgrade over the dvd?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 AM   #190

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post

How would you rate the PQ quality for the individual seasons of the show on blu ray? I've read some really negative reviews for the blu ray transfers of seasons 1-4. Only the last half of season 5 has a really solid rating.

I'm too cheap right now to buy the complete series blu ray set, but I'm thinking about buying season 4 on blu ray. Would you say the season 4 blu ray transfer is a significant upgrade over the dvd?
[Show spoiler]
I don't own the DVD's, so I can't say. In the event you do purchase Season 4 though I lifted the below quote from another Breaking Bad thread in case you weren't aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
I have posted this a few times in this thread, but here it is again:

The subtitle track that normally occurs on Seasons 1-3 is present on Season 4, just doesn't occur automatically.

Once you have inserted a disc (any, 1-3), and the show begins to play, pull up the pop up menu and select subtitles. Choose English, (not English SDH). Select it. Close the Pop Up Menu. Open it again, and this time switch the subtitles back to No Subtitles. Close it.

From now on, any Spanish Dialog that is spoken will automatically appear subtitled. It should be noted that once you change from Disc 1 to Disc 2, or from Disc 2 to Disc 3, one will have to repeat this process. The switch will remain though episode to episode on a single disc, but once the discs are changed, it will have to be repeated.
Per the above, episodes 7-10 (disc 2) and episode 11 (disc 3) are the only episodes from season 4 that contain the forced subs.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-16-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #191

Feb 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jordanwalkert Send a message via Skype™ to jordanwalkert

Quote:

Season 4 is the only season riddled with DNR and compression/banding artifacts. It's very smeary and the worst looking season by far. That being said, I'm sure it's an upgrade over DVD still, but most blu rays are.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #192

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwalkert View Post
Season 4 is the only season riddled with DNR and compression/banding artifacts. It's very smeary and the worst looking season by far. That being said, I'm sure it's an upgrade over DVD still, but most blu rays are.
Hey I really appreciate the response.

I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this question on a blu ray forum, but what exactly are "DNR and compression/banding artifacts"?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #193

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I don't own the DVD's, so I can't say. In the event you do purchase Season 4 though I lifted the below quote from another Breaking Bad thread in case you weren't aware.

Per the above, episodes 7-10 (disc 2) and episode 11 (disc 3) are the only episodes from season 4 that contain the forced subs.
That's interesting.

I think I may just stick with the dvd version until I feel comfortable splurging on the series blu ray box set.

...sounds like the individual season blu rays aren't worth the money to upgrade.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #194
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Hey I really appreciate the response.

I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this question on a blu ray forum, but what exactly are "DNR and compression/banding artifacts"?
No problem, Ray -- we all started out as novices.

I remember being very disappointed by the PQ of season 4; it's pretty awful.

DNR is "digital noise reduction", a tool used to smooth out an image and make it look more perfect to the modern eye. The problem is that it also removes natural film grain, and thus, part of the image itself. It also (in my opinion) makes the image look disgustingly inorganic and smeary.

I'm not sure I can describe "banding artifacts"...it's like when part of the image looks clumpy...rings of shifting shades/colours...as if the disc can't handle the complexity of the image and is presenting it in clumps.

Anyone else?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #195
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Yeah, Season 4 isn't the best, but it would still look much better than the DVD as it still looked better than the compressed 720p broadcast. Any Blu-ray will, really. Don't forget the lossless sound on the Blu-ray too. The sound mixing on Breaking Bad is some of the best that I've ever heard.

Seasons 1-3 are particularily good on Blu-ray as it features a heavier grain structure, almost like 16mm. It gives a very cinematic feel to the show and no DVD can handle grain like that. It is a big, big upgrade.

The final seasons also look excellent too. balthazar_bee is right- only Season 4 looks bad, but it will look worse on DVD. The seasons aren't that expensive on BD any more. You should be able to get a season for $10-15 tops.

Here is a good example of banding. When an image is compressed too much, you see lines of color where there should be subtle gradations. Think of looking at a really low quality web video over a nice DVD or Blu-ray and you'll get the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #196

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
No problem, Ray -- we all started out as novices.

I remember being very disappointed by the PQ of season 4; it's pretty awful.

DNR is "digital noise reduction", a tool used to smooth out an image and make it look more perfect to the modern eye. The problem is that it also removes natural film grain, and thus, part of the image itself. It also (in my opinion) makes the image look disgustingly inorganic and smeary.

I'm not sure I can describe "banding artifacts"...it's like when part of the image looks clumpy...rings of shifting shades/colours...as if the disc can't handle the complexity of the image and is presenting it in clumps.

Anyone else?
I owe you one buddy.

...that's great info.
Thanks given by:
balthazar_bee (09-17-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #197

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
Yeah, Season 4 isn't the best, but it would still look much better than the DVD as it still looked better than the compressed 720p broadcast. Any Blu-ray will, really. Don't forget the lossless sound on the Blu-ray too. The sound mixing on Breaking Bad is some of the best that I've ever heard.

Seasons 1-3 are particularily good on Blu-ray as it features a heavier grain structure, almost like 16mm. It gives a very cinematic feel to the show and no DVD can handle grain like that. It is a big, big upgrade.

The final seasons also look excellent too. balthazar_bee is right- only Season 4 looks bad, but it will look worse on DVD. The seasons aren't that expensive on BD any more. You should be able to get a season for $10-15 tops.

Here is a good example of banding. When an image is compressed too much, you see lines of color where there should be subtle gradations. Think of looking at a really low quality web video over a nice DVD or Blu-ray and you'll get the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding
Much appreciated Yo.

Agree with you on the "anything will look better on BD" comment. However, there are a few films I've seen that do seem to test that the limits of that theory.

Heat for instance, was so shockingly unimpressive on BD, that I almost considered keeping my dvd copy. Same thing with Eyes Wide Shut. After buying the blu ray version, I did my normal shot-by-shot comparison and was almost shocked to find that the PQ was nearly identical to the dvd version. Probably a slight improvement, but barely even noticeable on a 32 inch flatscreen.

It's a shame that season 4 got such a poor transfer, as it's arguably the best season of the show.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America