COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$20.08
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #121
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Alhambra, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsinitoboy View Post
It was the first time that I tried that trick. I haven't tried it on my Battle Royale (my friend borrowed it and haven't returned it yet).

At first I was frustrated that it was region locked, then out of curiosity I tried all of the buttons on the remote just to see what will happen.
Interesting, that means the programmer didn't program it with enough consideration, just like DVD authors forgot to lock "title play".
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #122

Mar 2011
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelwu View Post
Never seen people can do that, how often does it work for you on other Region A locked titles?
I own around 35 region A locked discs. I've got around 80% of them to work just by pressing stop and then disc menu after the screen that says my player can't play that region.

But it depends on your player if it works. I tried a couple that works on my player on my parents player and they didn't work there.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #123

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Though child voice actors in English dubs of Anime(or maybe even the original Japanese version) is very rare. So they usually just go with an adult voice actress who happens to have a young sounding voice.
That is exactly why the original Japanese track wins, hands down. They clearly used a young child to voice Setsuko and a teenage boy for Seita. Even in the new dub, the actress voicing Setsuko is clearly a grown woman imitating a child and the results are (typically) somewhat grating. My first viewing was with the new English dub, followed by the old. Setsuko's voice is less annoying in the updated track, but Seita's voice was very similar in both English dubs. I almost thought it was the same actor on both, though the delivery is a bit more natural on the new dub. The aunt's voice on the new track is a definite improvement. The actress on the original English dub sounded slightly southern to me and didn't quite sell the snippy attitude required of that character.

This was my first time seeing Grave of the Fireflies and it definitely lived up to it's reputation. I'm not usually one to cry during a movie, but I was left quite shaken. I even found myself putting my hand to my mouth in shock during one scene. Extremely powerful stuff... one of the most depressing things I've ever seen, but it leaves a lasting impression. A little human kindness can go a long way, folks.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-09-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #124
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
A little human kindness can go a long way, folks.
Ain't that the truth!

And just think if people more often considered the consequences of our [in]action on others.

Samsung C630 55" LCD TV | Oppo 93 Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer SC-65 Receiver | PSB Imagine T-2 & Image S5 Surround Speakers | BIC America V1220 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) | Arcam rDAC | Seagate 4 TB External Drive
Apple TV 3 | iPad 4 | Logitech Harmony Remote 700
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #125
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
That is exactly why the original Japanese track wins, hands down. They clearly used a young child to voice Setsuko and a teenage boy for Seita. Even in the new dub, the actress voicing Setsuko is clearly a grown woman imitating a child and the results are (typically) somewhat grating. My first viewing was with the new English dub, followed by the old. Setsuko's voice is less annoying in the updated track, but Seita's voice was very similar in both English dubs. I almost thought it was the same actor on both, though the delivery is a bit more natural on the new dub. The aunt's voice on the new track is a definite improvement. The actress on the original English dub sounded slightly southern to me and didn't quite sell the snippy attitude required of that character.

This was my first time seeing Grave of the Fireflies and it definitely lived up to it's reputation. I'm not usually one to cry during a movie, but I was left quite shaken. I even found myself putting my hand to my mouth in shock during one scene. Extremely powerful stuff... one of the most depressing things I've ever seen, but it leaves a lasting impression. A little human kindness can go a long way, folks.
The original dub was actually done by a dubbing company located in Texas so that my be why.

I like this movie, but I also came across a criticism of it that does make sense as well. It is a bit emotionally manipulative.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #126
Special Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by James78 View Post
I haven't seen this film but several members have said it is the saddest film they have ever seen. I've put it on my rental list, but how often would one want to watch a film about starving wartime orphans? I'm sure it's brilliant, but I'm rather dreading watching it!
what is going to get you the most is love of a brother toward his little sister. This movie truly does tare your heart out in so many levels. It will be forever in my heart.
I see you!!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #127
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
what is going to get you the most is love of a brother toward his little sister. This movie truly does tare your heart out in so many levels. It will be forever in my heart.
I've seen it once but I want to own the BD sometime. Not one that I will watch regularly but it is a great movie that should have a place in my collection. Sometimes you just need to watch something heartbreaking to realize that you're an idiot for complaining about stuff in your life - its just human nature..
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #128
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post
The original dub was actually done by a dubbing company located in Texas so that my be why.

I like this movie, but I also came across a criticism of it that does make sense as well. It is a bit emotionally manipulative.
That pretty much sums up any movie. They all manipulate emotion/action/etc to elicit a response from the audience (whether it be excitement, sadness, laughter, etc). That's what cinema does.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #129
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
That pretty much sums up any movie. They all manipulate emotion/action/etc to elicit a response from the audience (whether it be excitement, sadness, laughter, etc). That's what cinema does.
Well put! I feel that a film's artistic success is very much how aware you are of the manipulation, which is why things like "over-rated" and "under-rated" seem silly to me; after all, such assessments are innately subjective, film-by-film, viewer-by-viewer. Just like music, poetry, literature, painting or any other art -- let alone politics.

I find it most rewarding when something crystallizes a belief, inclination, perception etc. that perhaps nothing else has done for me, or something that up-ends a pre-conceived notion I've held, thus giving me new perspective or even changing my view on something even slightly. It's a rarity, of course, and I can think of precious few who have had either of these effects on me.

I keep stalling on my re-watch, so I don't recall quite where this fits in, but the echo in my brain from previous viewings is that this film has a strong sense of empathy while avoiding many of the cinematic traps often used to illicit response. Add to that, for all the innate horrors and sentimentality baked into this narrative, it generally provides a clear-eyed view of a tragedy that is rarely looked at, and yet without being mired in heavy preaching or moralizing. It's enough for it to let the tragedy illustrate itself.

Keep in mind its at least six years since I last watched it. It's not as subtle as, say, Ozu or Kieslowski, but it is not as compromised as, for instance, Spielberg (whose Schindler's List and parts of Saving Private Ryan I hold in pretty high regard; Amistad -- with its golden hour interior lighting and hand-holding John Williams score underlining the profound speechifying -- not so much).

Pioneer SC-65 Receiver | PSB Imagine T-2 & Image S5 Surround Speakers | BIC America V1220 Subwoofer

Last edited by IronWaffle; 12-09-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #130
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post

The new English dub was made in Texas.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #131

May 2010

For anyone wanting a comparison to the DVD's supplemental features, it looks like the blu-ray is missing:

Interviews with Director Isao Takahata and Author Akiyuki Nosaka (as well as their personal biographies)

Interview from Roger Ebert

Historical Perspective: Commentary by Professor Theodore F. Cook and Hakuro Taya Cook

Video Restoration Documentary

Don't have the blu yet to truly compare.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #132
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Any slipcover for this?
Trust No One
Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #133
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

No - No Sentai Filmworks releases have slipcovers.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #134

Aug 2010
Texas

That's unfortunate ^ but I'm still ordering this today.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #135
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvicious View Post
That's unfortunate ^ but I'm still ordering this today.
Glad it isn't stopping you. Difficult as this film is for many of the few who see it, it is well worth the price of entry.

I'd make a custom slip for you, but I doubt you'd like stick figures and glitter-fireflies pasted on scotch taped napkins.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #136

Aug 2010
Texas

lol ^ Well it's the thought that counts. Can't wait and yeah I am preparing myself for the emotional ride. I've been watching ghibli and Mamoru Hosada flicks so this will be next.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime