Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Lifeboat $13.72 (69% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Call of Duty (PS4)
$19.88
Everybody's Golf (PS4)
$19.96
Wolfenstein II (PS4)
$59.99
South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4)
$42.28
Akiba's Beat (PS4)
$18.55
Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind (PS4)
$56.89
The Evil Within 2 (PS4)
$34.99
The Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame (PS4)
$39.99
Prey 2 (PS4)
$24.99
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (PS4)
$25.38
Torment: Tides Of Numenera (PS4)
$19.99
Destiny 2 Collector's Edition (PS4)
$199.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation

Old 08-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #81

Jun 2017

With an UHD Blu-Ray Drive in PS4 Pro, Sony could have waited 2019, but without Sony don't have the choice, it will be holiday 2018 for PS5. In any case Sony can not afford an incompatibility with ps4 games catalog.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #82
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_rigby View Post
We both may be correct. Guess: Next PS4 is a step upgrade from PS4 Pro with UHD Media capable I went back to the SRI drafts and finally realized the power caps for 2019 define two separate UHD consoles and neither can be the PS4 Pro.

PS4 Pro does not have the DRM protections for UHD Media. If this is what is understood by Sony then the Pro is not a true UHD Media console, there is a UHD Media PS4 that does have UHD Blu-ray coming and since it does not need as powerful a GPU for 4K gaming it can come sooner. Tier 4 now has a UHD Media capable Power Cap of 60 watts and a UHD Gaming console with a power cap of 70 watts for HD media and 110 watts for 4K media. This confirms there are two separate definitions and the Tier 3 power caps for the PS4 Pro are higher than 60 watts in Media mode, that eliminates the Pro as one of the two consoles being released 2018-2019.

Holiday 2018 something greater than PS4 Pro with UHD media DRM
Holiday 2028 or sometime 2019 UHD Gaming capable with UHD Media DRM

This makes sense of the several conflicting rumors.
4K Bluray playback is ideal for me. I plan to move into a new apartment in 2019 so I have delayed a 4K tv purchase until then.

By the way, holiday 2028? . We will have holograms by then!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #83

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
They already set a bad precedent by not including a 4K player in their 4K console. I won't put anything past them now.

How so? At the time 4kuhd was not very big when pro came out, it is still nothing in comparison to normal blu rays released. So they chose not to include one in order to keep the cost down. In fact by not including the 4k player they released the pro at the same price as a ps4 was at the time and lowered non pro ps4, so they didn't even have to raise the price.

Having a 4k player in it was not mandatory for any reason at all. 4k players prices were pretty high when pro came out and that's just for the player alone, they still aren't cheap yet. If they included one and charged you 150 bucks more you'd be pissed about a expensive ps4.

Or did you forget yes a ps4 can play movies and such but it is still a GAMING CONSOLE.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #84

Jul 2017
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by devineki View Post
With an UHD Blu-Ray Drive in PS4 Pro, Sony could have waited 2019, but without Sony don't have the choice, it will be holiday 2018 for PS5. In any case Sony can not afford an incompatibility with ps4 games catalog.
Kinda annoyed with Sony for skimping out on this. I wonder if it was pressure from the other departments within the co. or if the sole reason was truly undercutting the Pro's manufacturing price.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #85

Jul 2017
Australia

I wonder if they will go with a two-console ecosystem right from the start of next gen. PS5 and PS5 EX (or Pro, whatever), with the latter pushing 160% computational/250% graphical advantage. Pro was cited to extend the lifespan of this gen, but I also wonder if this was also done to help ease the consciousness of the PS4 playerbase into a 2-console ecosystem now.

We saw from the thrashing, the Xbox brand got years ago, that gamers are sensitive to new changes as a new gen starts. Heck when the PS4 "NEO" rumours dropped last year, there were gamers who did not like it. But Sony busted Pro out while PS4 is popular so any damage was greatly dampened.

It will be advantageous to do this, because they effectively eliminate console gaming's Achille's Heel, and that is 30fps. A lot of hardcore gamers prefer PC gaming cuz they want higher framerates and Sony can't control the Hz specs a dev decides on. But they can offer two SKUs to develop for, like what Nintendo is doing with their Switch in docked and undocked mode.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #86
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

I've always used my Playstation 3 and 4 as my main blu ray player. I wish they had made the PS4 capable of playing UHD movies. If the PS5 doesn't support UHD, HDR and Dolby Vision, I will probably not purchase it. Movies come first for me, the games are what I consider an extra perk.
Please vote for the Top Directors of All Time http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=298706
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-15-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #87

Mar 2010
Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
I've always used my Playstation 3 and 4 as my main blu ray player. I wish they had made the PS4 capable of playing UHD movies. If the PS5 doesn't support UHD, HDR and Dolby Vision, I will probably not purchase it. Movies come first for me, the games are what I consider an extra perk.
We do know that there are two new Game console power caps for holiday 2018 but we do not know if they will be iterations of the PS4 and still called PS4.

Better to call them Holiday 2018 UHD consoles; UHD Media and UHD Gaming capable.

The SRI also says that consoles after 2019 will not have higher resolutions than UHD so some other way to define them is needed, no higher resolutions are coming just performance and power improvements.

Best guess is they are all UHD consoles and called PS4 similar to the PS4 Pro naming convention. Sony calls all PS4s UHD Capable and that may continue in the future.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation