Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)
$37.99
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PS4)
$19.99
Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4)
$29.99
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
$29.99
Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PS4)
$24.99
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands (PS4)
$29.99
NBA 2K17 (PS4)
$21.73
NBA 2K16 (PS4)
$33.71
Mass Effect: Andromeda (PS4)
$11.78
Prey 2 (PS4)
$29.99
Destiny 2 (PS4)
$51.24
WWE 2K18 (PS4)
$59.88
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation

Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA
Default PS5 possible late 2018

Its only been 5 years since the release of the PS4. Would you be ready to buy another console already? I don't think I would. The article has the same guy who predicted the the PS4 Slim and Pro saying its possible to see the PS5 2nd half of next year. That means it would be shown off at 2018 E3.

http://www.techspot.com/news/69142-c...next-year.html

For all its improvements over the PlayStation 4, the PlayStation 4 Pro hasn’t exactly set the gaming world on fire. Things are looking even more troubling for Sony, after recent specs and early previews revealed Microsoft’s own mid-gen refresh, the Scorpio, could be closer to an entirely new console generation, and certainly quite a jump over the PS4 Pro. So, could Sony fight back with an early release of the PlayStation 5? That’s what one analyst thinks.

Even though it’s only been less than 5 years since the launch of the PlayStation 4, Macquarie Capital Securities analyst Damian Thong believes the PlayStation 5 will be here sometime during the second half of next year. It may sound like an outlandish claim, but this is the same person who correctly predicted both the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro.

Thong never offered any predictions about the console other than its release date. A lot can change in 18 months, but a machine with a focus on 4K graphics and high framerates, and one that’s more powerful than Scorpio seems like a given. And with the PlayStation 4 Pro having just been released in November, backward compatibility would likely be a feature of the PS5.

All of this is, of course, speculation, but there seems to be an excitement around Scorpio that was never present during the run up to the PlayStation 4 Pro's launch. Sony is reported to have sold almost twice as many PS4s compared to the Xbox One since the consoles were released, but fear that Scorpio will give Microsoft the upper hand in the console wars could encourage Sony to expedite the PS5’s arrival.
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, True Lies, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy, Wildcats, Blue Juice, Magnificent Eleven, Fire In The Sky, Up In Smoke.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore

I don't think so.
Xbox Scorpio may be powerful, but it's also going to be very expensive. And if few people are going to buy it, then few developers would want to optimize their games for it too.

The PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro has a huge user base, and there's still plenty of life in it.

The power of the console don't necessarily equal its success. The PlayStation 2 is arguably the weakest of its generation, but the Dreamcast, GameCube and the Xbox was nowhere near the success that PS2 enjoyed.

In short, no. I don't think we'll see a PlayStation 5 next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #3

Oct 2012
Louisiana

Not gonna happen.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Way too early IMO.
Top 15 all time favorites: The Evil Dead | Re-Animator | A New Hope | The Empire Strikes Back | Fist Of The North Star (1986) | Evil Dead 2 | Hard Target | Cloverfield | Demons | Suspiria | Opera | Tenebrae | Desperado | Blood And Black Lace | Return Of The Jedi
Old 05-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

To quote the great Steven Tyler...

"DREAM ON!! DREAM ON!! DREAM ON!! DREAM ON!!
"Live in your hopes, not in your fears."
Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008

Forum searching is your friend, same topic was posted a year ago

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=270734 can a mod please merge this
RIP Navster
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

I just saw the article posted today on yahoo news..
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, True Lies, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy, Wildcats, Blue Juice, Magnificent Eleven, Fire In The Sky, Up In Smoke.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #8

Mar 2009

It's way too soon, lol. I just got my PS4 last year, so even if the 5 is pretty damn impressive I probably won't upgrade right away like I always do.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

So basically if true, by the time PS5 comes out, I will be getting PS4. I still play on PS3 and Vita.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

The article is worthless, just some guy's clickbait headline; it's not news. It just dawned on him that Scorpio is coming, which obviously leads to PS5 launched in 2018. I'd sooner lock the tread than merge it with anything of substance.
PSN: jsteinhauer
Avatar: T.O. the Jardine's Parrot. 12 years old.

Most of my screenshots are @oldjsteinhauer
Thanks given by:
Blu-Curry (05-02-2017), Trekkie313 (06-12-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 02:39 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

I just played a few PS3 games the other day just for the fun of it, and use the PS3 for all of my blu rays and even Dvds. The PS4 is my main gaming console since 2013, and 2018 is not far fetched regarding a new PS5 console from Sony to match or exceed Scorpio's advanced chess move in the game of console wars.

In the new console, I would like to see a complete, undeniable visual improvement to the point that no game has low res textures from foreground to background. Meaning at no point in time when moving closer to the textures, do they pop in and go from blurry to sharp. It has to be a smooth transition so the clarity of the texture is apparent even from further away, within reason.

Playing Ghost Recon Wildlands, while much of the game looks great even from far away, the one very sore spot in the visuals would be the dotted white lines and double yellow lines on the common roads. Up close, they're fine, but about 20 feet or more in the distance, they blur out to a muddy mess and it looks awful to be blunt.

I know games can overcome that in today's day, but for open world games, it's a bigger challenge to have everything look amazing all of the time. Two recent examples that nearly mastered it would include Uncharted 4's more open maps, and Star Wars Battlefront 2015's open maps. The textures far and up close in both games are impressive.

But too many other PS4 games, while they look generally great in 1080p, can't match that level of clarity in the textures on PS4, all of the time no matter what. If the PS5 could do that, that's one more step to photo realism and artistic clarity.

PS5 would have 4K graphics, and higher processing power to accomplish the current limitations of the PS4.

To be convinced to buy a PS5, this is closer to what I would expect from the fidelity and clarity of the graphics. Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV visuals, in the game play itself.

Otherwise, it's too early IMO to release a PS5. But should Sony try to match every move Microsoft makes, trying to improve on MS's attempts at each turn?
Old 05-02-2017, 04:18 AM   #12

Nov 2016

PS4 today isn't even worth it lol.

Greatness awaits I guess.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 AM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexyKevinNash View Post
PS4 today isn't even worth it lol.

Greatness awaits I guess.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009

Like, WTF!? I just got my PS4 like last year. =/
Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
The article is worthless, just some guy's clickbait headline; it's not news. It just dawned on him that Scorpio is coming, which obviously leads to PS5 launched in 2018. I'd sooner lock the tread than merge it with anything of substance.
To be fair though, the guy who predicted that was apparently spot on with the slim and Pro.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #16

Oct 2016

PlayStation 5?

I'd buy it!!!!

Just hope the lineup is good. I'd never buy a Nintendo system again or even an Xbox after the security feature scam with the always on camera for weirdos, the no physical media issue they tried to pull, etc.

Still waiting on Kingdom Hearts 3 from Disney/Square. Only because it looks so neat and very playable. Word on it is good but it might take a long time for it to come out. It it's even out for PlayStation 4; I don't know yet.

PlayStation 4 Pro is fun; the Sony OLED is a great 2017 tv and the Sony 4K player is the best player in the world right now!

Sony does make the best setups in the world for me!!!! :cool
Old 06-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

No UHD disc player, no buy.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #18

Mar 2010
Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://efficientgaming.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/Games_Consoles_Self-Regulatory_Initiative.pdf

Tier 1
Effective from 1st January 2014 >> PS4 1.8 TF 28nm

Tier 2 Effective from 1st January 2016 >> PS4 second version 28nm Global Foundries process

Tier 3 Effective from 1st January 2017 >> PS4 slim and Pro 14nm Polaris

Tier 4 Effective from 1st January 2019 >> PS4? or PS5 7nm Navi
The above are Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo statements on power used by Game Console releases by Node/GPU changes that impact performance and power, they Match up 100% with Sony PS4 model Releases.

The Following is a slide from AMD on Sweet spots by resolution. They match up with the PS4 resolutions; 2013 PS4 and 2016 PS4 Pro with PS5 not yet released. Notice FPS @ 4K for VR is 240 FPS

People may not have noticed but the PS4/XB1 are getting AMD GPUs (PS4 Liverpool with 2014 GPU features, PS4 Pro Polaris, XB1 X Vega) abet with mods before they are released by AMD as dGPUs for PCs. They need consoles to have Game developers optimizing for AMD GPUs and then porting to the PC.

Tier 1 Effective from 1st January 2014 >> 2013 PS4 1.8 TF 28nm Liverpool with 2014 GCN features

Tier 2 Effective from 1st January 2016 >> PS4 second version 28nm Global Foundries process

Tier 3 Effective from 1st January 2017 >> PS4 Pro 14nm Polaris

Tier 4 Effective from 1st January 2019 >> PS4 7nm Navi >> PS5 if ZEN CPU used

Quote:
Macquarie Capital Securities analyst Damian Thong recently predicted a 2018 release date for the PS4 follow-up.

However, in an interview with German site Golem.de (via VG247), Sony's Shawn Layden suggested the wait could be much longer.

Layden said that it would "probably be some time" before the PS5 is released, which suggests that talk of a 2018 launch is premature.
THE Efficientgaming.eu power tier confirms a new Console Holiday 2018 but is it a PS4 Pro+ with Navi or 2018 PS5 with Zen is unclear.

I am leaning toward PS5 as Navi supports Infinity fabric and that allows DRM secure processes which support Playready 3 SL3000 so even if the GPU is used for Codecs, the Navi GPU can support DRM for UHD Blu-ray. It's also probable that it will have a HDMI 2.1 port to allow 4K glassless 3D and higher res VR goggles which are the reason for the Sony 2012 CTO stating 300FPS would be supported by the PS4. Recent posts are speculating 240FPS support by the new PS4/5.

http://mandetech.com/2012/01/10/sony...uta-interview/ Needs HBM3
https://www.slideshare.net/Slide_N/p...tainment-world Needs HBM3
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58352/...yst/index.html

Last edited by jeff_rigby; 07-25-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

^ What tends to happen often at the start of a console generation is games actually get made for pc first then ported to consoles, this even goes for console exclusives (such as Ryse Son of Rome, which was pc developed then ported to console) along with multiplatform games (like the crew).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentral View Post
Like, WTF!? I just got my PS4 like last year. =/
Well it's not like the ps4 will just go away. I personally doubt the ps5 will launch in 2018 (as in a whole new console, if it is just an iteration they call the ps5 I could see that happening). It would be a hard sell to many of the biggest playstation fans who just one years ago upgraded to the ps4pro, I suspect they'd want to leave at least 3 years between them. However 5 years until last gen was more or less the norm. What we don't want is more 8 year long generations, consoles simply will become far to weak relative to even the most modest of current hardware over such a long time (8 years is multiple lifetimes in computer hardware).

Technology moves fast and I would prefer them use an iterative model (preferably more like a pc in terms of older games not needing patches to run at higher resolutions etc). That said I wouldn't be at all shocked if the ps5 was more or less an iterative device with maybe some exclusives only on ps5 or similar. Meaning new ps5 (or whatever the call it) games wouldn't be shackled by past ps4's, but where essentially otherwise ps4's with more power.
Display: Panasonic 65vt60 with a darbee darblet, Benq w7000.
Audio: Benchmark Dac1 ->DNA Sonett -> Sennheiser HD800 (balanced).

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 07-25-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #20

Mar 2010
Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post

Well it's not like the ps4 will just go away. I personally doubt the ps5 will launch in 2018 (as in a whole new console, if it is just an iteration they call the ps5 I could see that happening).

Technology moves fast and I would prefer them use an iterative model (preferably more like a pc in terms of older games not needing patches to run at higher resolutions etc). That said I wouldn't be at all shocked if the ps5 was more or less an iterative device with maybe some exclusives only on ps5 or similar. Meaning new ps5 (or whatever the call it) games wouldn't be shackled by past ps4's, but where essentially otherwise ps4's with more power.
HDMI 2.1 is needed for a next generation VR goggle and of course the Wireless technology AMD purchased for VR googles.

AMD buys Nitero wireless VR startup

If Sony has a new Wireless 4K VR goggle planned for 2019 then it's certain a new PS4/5 with Navi is in the works.

Sony patents Vive-like tracking system, hints at wireless PSVR Patent is quite descriptive. A scanning light beam is produced that the HMD picks up. Two emitting stations on either side of the room are needed. This produces a very accurate tracking for the controller or HMD.

AMD Conference call = new semi-custom win for 2018= PS5?

Last edited by jeff_rigby; 07-26-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation