COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$26.59
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 AM   #601

Apr 2014
Southfork

I have the Echo Bridge release, but I'm glad Lionsgate is re-releasing this for people who missed it the first time around.
My friends call me J.R.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #602
Power Member

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ross Ewing View Post
I have the Echo Bridge release, but I'm glad Lionsgate is re-releasing this for people who missed it the first time around.
It's good that Lionsgate is rereleasing it, since I never got around to getting it before (something else always took priority), even if it ends up being the same disc...
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1300 Blu-Rays as of 6/29/14: The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night: Criterion Collection
Old 07-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #603
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

I'll keep my Echo Bridge edition, at the end of the day it's not something I'm going to watch over and over again, its just another Godzilla movie to me. Not the worst, not the best.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #604
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
I'll keep my Echo Bridge edition, at the end of the day it's not something I'm going to watch over and over again, its just another Godzilla movie to me. Not the worst, not the best.
Compared to most of the recent Godzilla flicks I've been catching from the library, it is closer to the best. Man, those late 70's ones are too cheesy/campy to believe. It's incredible how much I loved them and now just laugh at them. The 90's era I had never seen and am seriously grooving on, but I still think Biolante is the best of them I've caught so far. Great news for those who missed it. Bad news for scalpers and those who paid 20-30$.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #605
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Compared to most of the recent Godzilla flicks I've been catching from the library, it is closer to the best. Man, those late 70's ones are too cheesy/campy to believe. It's incredible how much I loved them and now just laugh at them. The 90's era I had never seen and am seriously grooving on, but I still think Biolante is the best of them I've caught so far. Great news for those who missed it. Bad news for scalpers and those who paid 20-30$.
I feel the opposite. The 70s are way, way, way more entertaining than the 90s films, which are a chore to slog through. (I really dislike them.) Man, they really pumped out a bunch of misfires in that decade. Biollante (from the 80s) is a good one, though. If there's a significant picture upgrade I might consider buying the Lionsgate disc...

I paid a pretty penny for the EB Blu with the corrected soundtrack but what's done is done, no big deal.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #606

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I don't want to be a nitpicky butthole, but I can't help myself. There are no late '70s Godzilla movies, the last one was released in '75 so they'd be early '70s.

That aside, I can't really agree, I think Godzilla was at his most fun in the '70s. It even comes close to beating the '60s for me in terms of pure entertainment value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
I feel the opposite. The 70s are way, way, way more entertaining than the 90s films, which are a chore to slog through. (I really dislike them.) Man, they really pumped out a bunch of misfires in that decade. Biollante (from the 80s) is a good one, though. If there's a significant picture upgrade I might consider buying the Lionsgate disc...

I paid a pretty penny for the EB Blu with the corrected soundtrack but what's done is done, no big deal.
Yeah, the '90s is by far the worst decade for Godzilla. Don't know how it could go so wrong after the promising '80s.

One thing Lionsgate can easily improve on is the cover art, EB's was pretty hideous.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #607
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
I don't want to be a nitpicky butthole, but I can't help myself. There are no late '70s Godzilla movies, the last one was released in '75 so they'd be early '70s.

That aside, I can't really agree, I think Godzilla was at his most fun in the '70s. It even comes close to beating the '60s for me in terms of pure entertainment value.

Yeah, the '90s is by far the worst decade for Godzilla. Don't know how it could go so wrong after the promising '80s.

One thing Lionsgate can easily improve on is the cover art, EB's was pretty hideous.
Strange how this site censors @sshole but not butthole.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #608

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
Strange how this site censors @sshole but not butthole.
Precisely why I went with the latter over the former.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #609
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Huh, guess I'm stuck with the defective version... tbh, I probably never would have noticed if I hadn't read this. Maybe I'll just listen to it in stereo from now on since that's probably the original mix anyway.

Anyhow, as others have said, it's likely all Lionsgate could do is use better encoding on their disc. Toho's HD masters of the Godzilla films are infamously poor, mediocre at best, and they're notoriously strict about letting foreign releases be "better" than their own in any way (to discourage importing since North America and Japan share a BD region and movies are far more expensive in Japan).
Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #610

Apr 2014
Southfork

About the defective audio on the Echo Bridge disc: I don't have a sound system so the only audio output I have are the speakers on my TV. Will I notice the audio defect just playing it on my TV, or would I need to have a sound system to notice it?
My friends call me J.R.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #611
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ross Ewing View Post
About the defective audio on the Echo Bridge disc: I don't have a sound system so the only audio output I have are the speakers on my TV. Will I notice the audio defect just playing it on my TV, or would I need to have a sound system to notice it?
You would only notice it if you had a 5.1 sound system.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #612
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post

Are you serious? The Millenium series was awful!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:36 AM   #613
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
It wasn't great but I disliked the 90s more.
Just a fly in the ointment. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #614

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
Yes, I'm completely serious. They're much more competently made and generally just have more life and fun in them.

Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, the best Millennium film, is far superior to any of the '90s installments. Even Final Wars, which is probably the worst Millennium entry as a movie, is a mess but a hilarious and wildly entertaining mess. Which is more than can be said for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, the worst Heisei film.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #615

Nov 2013
Duluth, MN

Does anyone have any idea as to whether or not the Lionsgate release will have the commentary?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #616

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
Does anyone have any idea as to whether or not the Lionsgate release will have the commentary?
There was no commentary for Biollante on the old release. You may be thinking of Destroy All Monsters and/or Megalon.

There were two extras on Biollante, though, and they will probably be carried over.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #617
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Most likely not, I'm sure the Lionsgate disc will be identical to the Echo Bridge disc, so no commentary.

Just like the Lionsgate reissues of the Buena Vista discs were identical, except for the packaging and barcode.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #618

Jul 2014

Sorry, but the 90s was not awful. King Ghidorah, MechaG, and Destoroyah are all great movies. In fact, the Heisei era is the best era of Godzilla movies. The monster suits did not look like they were going to fall apart. The lighting of the night scenes was vibrant. And the music was fantastic. My only complaint is how lazy the effects look in Mothra. King Ghidorah's definitely has the best effects of the 90s and despite its time traveling stuff, the plot is quite smart.

The Millennium series was a mixed bag though. GMK is one of the best Godzilla movies of all time, and 2K was great. Tokyo SOS is pretty good, while the other three are average to crap. I'm not sure which is worse, Megaguirus or Final Wars. Probably Mega since FW isn't boring to sit through. The first Kiryu movie is pretty bad though as Godzilla just stands there half the time.

The Showa era was good in the early 60s but started to go downhill after Monster Zero and then turned to absolute **** in the 70s.

Anyway, as long as LGF fixed the ****ing defective audio track I will be happy.

Last edited by Vlad Draculi; 08-14-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM   #619
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
Sorry, but the 90s was not awful. King Ghidorah, MechaG, and Destoroyah are all great movies. In fact, the Heisei era is the best era of Godzilla movies. The monster suits did not look like they were going to fall apart. The lighting of the night scenes was vibrant. And the music was fantastic. My only complaint is how lazy the effects look in Mothra. King Ghidorah's definitely has the best effects of the 90s and despite its time traveling stuff, the plot is quite smart.

The Millennium series was a mixed bag though. GMK is one of the best Godzilla movies of all time, and 2K was great. Tokyo SOS is pretty good, while the other three are average to crap. I'm not sure which is worse, Megaguirus or Final Wars. Probably Mega since FW isn't boring to sit through. The first Kiryu movie is pretty bad though as Godzilla just stands there half the time.

The Showa era was good in the early 60s but started to go downhill after Monster Zero and then turned to absolute **** in the 70s.
Disagree completely.

Well... maybe not on GMK.
Just a fly in the ointment. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America