Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Cabin in the Woods (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
Gone with the Wind (Blu-ray)
$7.97
Mulan / Mulan II (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$14.99
A Most Violent Year (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Knowing (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Foxcatcher (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: What Did You Think of Horrible Bosses 2?
1 Star 3 13.64%
2 Stars 1 4.55%
3 Stars 8 36.36%
4 Stars 9 40.91%
5 Stars 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #121

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_wentworth View Post
its a very good movie and easily a 2.9.
I'd never really consider a 2.9 "very good".
Favorite movies: 1.The Departed 2.Pulp Fiction 3.Goodfellas 4.Kill Bill 5.a Clockwork Orange 6.Good Will Hunting 7.The Godfather Part II 8.Taxi Driver 9.Fargo 10.Boogie Nights 11.Inglourious Basterds 12.The Big Lebowski 13.American Beauty 14.Raging Bull 15.On The Waterfront 16.Once Upon a Time in America 17.Gladiator 18.The Godfather 19.American Hustle 20.The Social Network
Old 12-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #122
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
I abhor "lol the protagonists are stupid" comedies, and for that reason I will go to the grave hating Dumb and Dumber. But fortunately, Bateman was here, doing his usual brilliance at being the straight man. It was better in the first, with both Bateman and Sudeikis being straight man to Day, but with Bateman being straight man to both, it was alright.
Bateman is amazing. One of the most naturally funny actors out there and he never has to resort to showing off. His Horrible Bosses character, while presented as the straight man, is obviously an idiot, too. That's what inspired the laughs from me; it took the other two idiots to point out his lack of common sense, something he's completely oblivious to.

I can't f*cking wait for the next movie he's directing, The Family Fang with Nicole Kidman & Christopher Walken. The book is fantastic and given an adaptation with his comic sensibilities, it's going to be great.
BD Wishlist: Litan / Arizona Dream / Until the End of the World (Director's Cut) / Playroom / Kamillions / Wendigo / The Devils / The Peanut Butter Solution / Ratboy / Pin / Celia / Alice, Sweet Alice / Slaughterhouse Rock / Blue Monkey / Return to Oz / The Day of the Locust / Big Man On Campus / Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge / Brain Damage / Warhol's BAD / La Passion Béatrice / The Applegates / Mother Goose Rock 'n Rhyme / Electric Dreams / Crimes of Passion / Dreamchild / Into the Night
Old 12-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #123
Expert Member

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbercash View Post
I'd never really consider a 2.9 "very good".
well 2.9/5 for me is very good. 4/5 is fabulous. 5/5 is spectacular. to me anyway
Old 12-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #124
Banned

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_wentworth View Post
well 2.9/5 for me is very good. 4/5 is fabulous. 5/5 is spectacular. to me anyway
that's great
Old 02-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #125
Suspended

Oct 2013
South London, UK
Horrible Bosses 2 (2014)

The first movie was quite the success and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. The whole concept of wanting to murder ones work boss really hit a cord with me and many others I'm sure. Why? because it was completely relatable for most common regular folk, us mortals that toil in crappy soul destroying jobs. That concept and the movie was also similar to another fantastic comedy 'Office Space' which I think helped with its popularity.

Now we have the much anticipated sequel which reunites all of the original cast...accept for Farrell, did I say anticipated? This time around the three main guys are trying to start their own business with a homemade invention. They go to Hanson (Waltz as a wealthy businessman) to pitch their idea, Hanson likes it and makes a big order. Later on down the road Hanson screws them over and basically puts the guys up shit creek without a paddle. What do they do next? well they decide to kidnap Hanson's son Rex (Pine) but discover its harder than they expected. Things then take a twist as Rex decides to assist them in getting back at his emotionless father.

That's the one thing this movie does have in its favour and that's twists, although they aren't hard to spot but at least they are there. There are a few mini plots going on here with different characters at different times, its not confusing but in fact essential to keeping this films head above the water. Obviously everything comes together at the end and is tied up in a neat package with a pretty bow. Did I enjoy the ride though? well kinda I guess, the main problem here is the plot is so very bland, cliched, unoriginal and non-engaging. The reason why the first film worked was, as I said, you could relate to it, you can't relate to this because most people don't go around kidnapping other people.

They have shifted from a solid idea to this very meh idea which is just typical Hollywood spiel. It starts off quite funny I'll admit, the dirty and childish visual gag of Day wanking off Sudeikis and then giving him a reach around (trick of the eye gag) is actually very funny. When the guys are carrying out their plan to pinch some laughing gas from Dale's old sex obsessed boss Julia Harris (Aniston), the walkie talkie camaraderie between the three is hilarious. Bateman's blank, dry, deadpan expressions of exasperation as his two buddies continuously fudge up and prove how imbecilic they are is comedy gold. Day does get slightly annoying as the hyperactive fast talking Dale, can't stand too much of that character, whilst Sudeikis as Kurt is a worthy comedic foil to Nicks (Bateman) level-headed sensibilities.

Around the point where the guys meet up with Rex to discuss his diabolical plan is where this film starts to lose its way. Up to then it was quite funny with some admittedly solid laughs and good sleazy toilet humour. But as the plot goes down the stupid Hollywood action route which ends in car chases, police activity and gun play it ceases to be funny and merely becomes very meh. It was still a joy to see Aniston dress like a slut and hear her talk like an even dirtier slut describing how much she loves cock, loved her character in both films. Twas also great to see Spacey do his evil tyrant thing again which he does oh so well, apart from that everyone else is by the books frankly.

I'm afraid its the usual error that Hollywood just keeps making. Every time a film does well they have to make a sequel no matter what the original film was about. I've said it before and I'll say it again, certain films don't require sequels, they are stand alone flicks, one shot deals, lightning in a bottle. Just because a film does well that doesn't mean you have to try and franchise it! and this is another perfect example. The first film was very funny and it did well, right...now leave it at that! There was never a need to make a sloppy bottom of the barrel scraping sequel, it was never gonna be better or do as well.

5.5/10
Thanks given by:
Elbie (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 AM   #126
Special Member

Apr 2008
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Zero View Post
Horrible Bosses 2 (2014)
I definitely agree with the review.
Thanks given by:
Spirit Zero (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #127

Feb 2015

Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Jamie Fox all do a good job with their characters too. I was really looking forward to HB 2, as I liked the first movie. I felt the plot had many holes in it and there was many actions that just seemed to be put into the script just for a giggle - with no follow- up or follow-through.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:35 AM   #128
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:

I'm afraid its the usual error that Hollywood just keeps making. Every time a film does well they have to make a sequel no matter what the original film was about. I've said it before and I'll say it again, certain films don't require sequels, they are stand alone flicks, one shot deals, lightning in a bottle. Just because a film does well that doesn't mean you have to try and franchise it! and this is another perfect example. The first film was very funny and it did well, right...now leave it at that! There was never a need to make a sloppy bottom of the barrel scraping sequel, it was never gonna be better or do as well.

5.5/10
But was it really a mistake? The studios are businesses, in most cases publicly traded ones at that. They have one responsibility and one responsibility only: To make as much profit as is possible.

HB2 had a prod. budget of $42M, with a Domestic Gross of $56M and a Worldwide Gross of $106M. It will probably end up making them a profit. IOW, whoever green-lit it did his or her job properly.

We may dislike some off these sequels/reboots/remakes from an artistic point of view. But if the film makes a profit, regardless of artistic merit or lack thereof, the studio has lived up to its fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders.
"To realize that all your life—you know, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain—it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams there's a monster at the end of it."

-- Rustin Cohle
Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 AM   #129
Suspended

Oct 2013
South London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
But was it really a mistake? The studios are businesses, in most cases publicly traded ones at that. They have one responsibility and one responsibility only: To make as much profit as is possible.

HB2 had a prod. budget of $42M, with a Domestic Gross of $56M and a Worldwide Gross of $106M. It will probably end up making them a profit. IOW, whoever green-lit it did his or her job properly.

We may dislike some off these sequels/reboots/remakes from an artistic point of view. But if the film makes a profit, regardless of artistic merit or lack thereof, the studio has lived up to its fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders.
That's true, I try not to think about that angle hehe.

Thing is back in the day movies did well, they made money, but you never saw sequels churned out as much as now
Back in the day we dreamt of more sequels for some films but you were lucky if it happened. These days they have trilogies set before the first has even been finished.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:30 AM   #130
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
That's true, I try not to think about that angle hehe.

Thing is back in the day movies did well, they made money, but you never saw sequels churned out as much as now
Yeah, it's an unfortunate truth of the big studio world. The indie world is better for avoiding that kind of thing.

And sure, it used to be different. But it cost just SO MUCH MONEY now to make these movies -- studios feel far safer going with something with a proven track record.

Thankfully, though, we still get a lot of kickass movies each year. You just might have to drive like 75 miles to see a lot of them.
"To realize that all your life—you know, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain—it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams there's a monster at the end of it."

-- Rustin Cohle
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies