Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #6341
Bk_Tan Bk_Tan is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
UK
144
142
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2awesome4apossum View Post
Yours is probably the best argument I've heard (particularly in regards to Alien), but I still believe my point stands. Especially after hearing your Star Trek justification.

On Star Trek, they believe their technology will protect them. It doesn't, they follow protocol.

On Prometheus, they scan the air around them, discover it's cleaner than earth and take off their helmets. Presumably their scanners would pick up anything to be concerned about. When Charlie is infected, Shaw refuses to take her helmet off, and Vickers won't let him back on board because she's following protocol. Some characters think it's inhumane, Vickers wins, and Charlie agrees. It's too late for him anyway.

A biologist -- scared of huge nasty humanoid aliens -- gets excited when he finds an alien animal. That doesn't conflict with anything. How many people do you know that love animals and hate humans? I'm extremely cautious when I see a deer, because I've seen them charge before. But I'm not super cautious when I see most snakes, because even though my brother was bitten by a rattlesnake (camping again, he stepped on it), I find that most snakes keep to themselves.

And Milburn is hardly to the point of Steve Irwin reckless. He tries to coax the creature, keeping a very small distance, but he has a ****ing space suit on, so even if the thing tried to bite him, he's presumably protected by a mass amount of protective gear. He totally expected to be able to pull away nonetheless, and absolutely tries to do so when things go wrong. I guess he should have anticipated it being able to get inside his suit and having acid blood?

Another complaint I see a lot is that characters were stupid for opening the door when they saw Fifield's suit. But how are they supposed to know he's a zombie-Alien-thingy? Does anyone (who isn't an idiot) believe in zombies? This isn't stupid, this is simple curiosity. Sure, the guy just stands there in shock when Fifield stands up, but he's ... in shock.

When Papa Weyland goes to see the alien, I had a hard time, because I realize the point of the mission is to find immortality (lol, wut?), but he's using David to attempt to translate. This is probably the dumbest thing in the film (apart from running around after a c-section, which is a simple gap in logic -- like having gravity on a space ship that clearly shouldn't have gravity). But for me, I can understand why an insanely old man obsessed with immortality would be grasping at straws.

My point is that everyone makes excuses for stupid characters in science fiction when it's something they like, but when they were disappointed (like with Prometheus), they act like anyone who likes it must be too dumb to pick up on the stupidity of the characters.

I was disappointed with Prometheus the first time I saw it. (I was hoping for a movie that would be scary.) I've grown to appreciate it, mostly because of the craft behind it, and that I really want to know what happens next. But I don't think it's as black-and-white as the internet makes it out to be.

Again, I can always tell when someone's exposed to Prometheus hate before watching things like SUNSHINE, STAR TREK, ALIEN, 2001, and more (even my love: the new Battlestar Galactica), because they'll usually say, "The characters were too stupid, kind of like in Prometheus."

Don't get me wrong, I understand this is a legitimate problem some people had with the film, but I think it's vastly overstated in a day and age of internet forums. People like to form opinions similar to their friends, so you kind of have a concensus that went viral.

Doesn't mean it's not legitimate, but it IS vastly inconsistent. Someone can't love the Resident Evil movies and then hate Prometheus because of stupid characters. People have to understand there's something wrong there. You can't say "the premise" was unbelievable in Prometheus, but totally believable in Oblivion (although I liked that one all the same).

So I think I'm more of a middle-ground here. I was disappointed with the film, I laughed when the map-maker got lost (because that was silly), but I found my suspension of disbelief much easier than a lot of other sci-fi films. Certainly easier than Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, Guardians of the Galaxy, Transformers, The Maze Runner, The Giver and RoboCop -- to name a few such recent sci fi movies.

[EDIT] As for Milburn's excitement, I don't think it needs to be explained by drugs, although I suppose that would do it. But also there's the issue of what a huge deal this was. Like, say someone has wanted to be a writer all their life, gets their brand-new published book in the mail! Opens it, sees a little white powder on it. They pause, but pick it up anyway ... and it's anthrax. Sure they were careless, but it's a totally human mistake to make. Their excitement overrode their caution. Sure, you don't want a snake to attack you, you screw up out of excitement.
too bloody long.

but your comparisons are ****ing terrible.

every single film, even transformers, is more believable, because the rules of the universe are clearly setup and everything, or most things, match the tone the movie is attempting.

prometheus tries to be some serious, smart movie and has geologists and other characters all acting like idiots without any experience of basic life skills.

anyway it's impossible to convince fanboys. have a good life mate. i hear prometheus 2 is coming out.
Wishlist Over the Hedge (Dreamworks), Lemony Snicket's (Paramount), Order of the Phoenix Extended Edition (Warner Brothers)

Sale Items Beauty and the Beast, Inception, Toy Story 3, District 9 & Karate Kid PM please :)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #6342
Randall Flagg Randall Flagg is offline
Power Member
 
Randall Flagg's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
305
383
Default

Love Prometheus! Haters just gotta hate I guess.
Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #6343
wormraper wormraper is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona
2769
323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
Love Prometheus! Haters just gotta hate I guess.
sometimes a bad movie is just that... a bad movie
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #6344
Randall Flagg Randall Flagg is offline
Power Member
 
Randall Flagg's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
305
383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
sometimes a bad movie is just that... a bad movie
This isn't a bad movie IMO though.
Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #6345
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
283
8
Default

I love Prometheus despite its minor faults.

Its interesting to note the amount of hate it inspires though. I hope none of these people who hate Prometheus actually own it when its so terrible etc...

I could go into any number of Marvel superhero threads moaning and whining about how stupid, generic and downright cheesy they are but I manage to hold back from doing so.
Leo needs new shoes...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jd_from_da_80s (11-06-2014), Randall Flagg (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #6346
CraigThom CraigThom is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2013
232
119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
I love Prometheus despite its minor faults.

Its interesting to note the amount of hate it inspires though. I hope none of these people who hate Prometheus actually own it when its so terrible etc...

I could go into any number of Marvel superhero threads moaning and whining about how stupid, generic and downright cheesy they are but I manage to hold back from doing so.
People are disappointed when their expectations aren't met, especially with things they feel deeply about. It's no surprise to find this expressed in discussions devoted to those things.

I am more disappointed by people moved to belittle those feelings for their own amusement and by those who hide insults behind smiley faces.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #6347
lifepawn lifepawn is offline
Active Member
 
lifepawn's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
295
Default

I think you'd have to be an idiot to sign up for that long space journey without even knowing the destination or purpose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #6348
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
915
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepawn View Post
I think you'd have to be an idiot to sign up for that long space journey without even knowing the destination or purpose.
Indeed, but it isn't the first time I've seen such a thing in a movie and it's a basic storytelling conceit, because it means that they can compress the story by giving the exposition to the audience and all of the characters at the same time.

Still, in Prometheus' case it does seem remarkable that these people are happy to be frozen and sent millions of miles into space simply on the promise of a good payday (as Fifield reminded us in that utterly dreadful breakfast scene with Millburn). The same could be said of Alien's crew, yes, but at least those guys knew exactly what it was they thought were signing up for: to tow a mining rig halfway across the galaxy, which makes their manipulation by the Company that much more cynical and upsetting.

Last edited by Geoff D; 11-06-2014 at 03:40 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #6349
2awesome4apossum 2awesome4apossum is offline
Member
 
Mar 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk_Tan View Post
too bloody long.

but your comparisons are ****ing terrible.

every single film, even transformers, is more believable, because the rules of the universe are clearly setup and everything, or most things, match the tone the movie is attempting.

prometheus tries to be some serious, smart movie and has geologists and other characters all acting like idiots without any experience of basic life skills.

anyway it's impossible to convince fanboys. have a good life mate. i hear prometheus 2 is coming out.
No need to waste my time responding to me only to be rude.

And I'm not certain why I'm a fan boy? (Hell, I even said I was disappointed by this movie. Don't know if you missed that or just had a bad day.)

My point is that the criticisms may be legitimate, but if they're made they should be applied to movies equally. Instead of, you know, ridiculing people who like this movie (BECAUSE ITS STUPID) all while making excuses for stupid characters in other science fiction movies.

Quote:
"Having gravity on a space ship" is easily explained - and we don't know their future tech. It's an acceptable science fiction conceit.
Then so is the moment where they scan the air and take their helmets off, is my point. It falls under the same level of disbelief.

Quote:
But a biologist acting like an a$$hole is not - one perpetuates the sci fi mythos, the other does not.
And my point to that is it seemed like natural human behavior. We know it would go wrong because we knew what kind of movie we were in for. He didn't. How many times does someone do something stupid and get away with it, no harm done?

Even so, I could concede the "he's acting like an idiot" point (because he is), and there would still be those who say it was "dumb" of them to open to door to see what Fifield's helmet was doing there, as if the characters could somehow hear the same menacing background music we did. The characters really aren't as dumb as I feel they're made out to be when you compare it to other sci-fi.

Quote:
Of the movies you mentioned, which I've seen, most are action cartoons, not "serious" sci fi
And if your point is that it fails because it was ambitious, I can understand that. Personally, I'd still rather have that than Transformers any day of the week. But I totally get where you're coming from. Another good point.

Quote:
I used to watch a lot of Animal Planet, and I can't even count how many times biologists got really excited finding some rare, insanely deadly animal. At which point, they generally grin like children and say something like, "This snake is one of the most venomous creatures in the entire world," and proceed to pick it up and hold it, completely in awe of it.
They think they're too smart to have to be careful around a deadly animal. Classic "expert" mentality, and you see it in every profession.

[EDIT]
Quote:
What's so dumb about that?
Bad writing on my part (*I* was what was so dumb about that). I'm saying the quest for immortality was dumb, and the idea that he's going to use a translating David to get what he wants. Of course, this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. (I also agree with the sentiment that no one knew what they were signing up for probably didn't attract the most intelligent crew out there. As Geoff D suggests, it's a scripting tool for exposition that didn't sit well with me.)

Last edited by 2awesome4apossum; 11-06-2014 at 06:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #6350
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Senior Member
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yeah, the actors were far from the problem, IMO. Idris probably needed some better direction or more takes, but otherwise they all do good work.
I'm just gonna have to respectfully disagree with you fellas on this one. Casting certainly wasn't the only problem and maybe it wasn't even the biggest one. But when you look at the cast of the original Alien, it's freaking rock solid from top to bottom--full of great actors with legit dramatic chops.

Is anyone going to compare the guy who played the biologist to Harry Dean Stanton?

Or the geologist to Ian Holm?

And again, I like Noomi Rapace, but Sigourney Weaver just blows her away in the dramatic acting department.

Bad writing may have played a factor, but not an insurmountable one imo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #6351
Blu Jedi Master Blu Jedi Master is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Blu Jedi Master's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
313
190
Default

Noomi Rapace was my least favorite of all of the actors/actresses in this one. However I did enjoy the movie.
Samsung UN46F5500, Sony BDP-S590,
AppleTV 3, Sennheiser HDR120

Top 10 Blu-rays in My Collection:
1. Gladiator 2. POTC: The Curse of The Black Pearl 3. Casablanca
4. The Lord of The Rings EE 5. The Bourne Trilogy 6. Alien Anthology
7. Band of Brothers 8. Star Trek TOS 9. The Dark Knight Trilogy 10. Ultimate Matrix Collection
"Do or do not... there is no try" -Yoda
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #6352
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
I love Prometheus despite its minor faults.

Its interesting to note the amount of hate it inspires though. I hope none of these people who hate Prometheus actually own it when its so terrible etc...

I could go into any number of Marvel superhero threads moaning and whining about how stupid, generic and downright cheesy they are but I manage to hold back from doing so.
Prometheus had a lot to live up to. An epic trailer, promises of an Alien origin story, Ridley Scott at the helm. And they let down a lot of fans with a weak script and weak characters.

There was a lot more riding on this than your average superhero movie. That's why so many fans felt so betrayed with Prometheus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #6353
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
283
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Prometheus had a lot to live up to. An epic trailer, promises of an Alien origin story, Ridley Scott at the helm. And they let down a lot of fans with a weak script and weak characters.

There was a lot more riding on this than your average superhero movie. That's why so many fans felt so betrayed with Prometheus.
Dont watch it then. Theres plenty of us who will.
Leo needs new shoes...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #6354
warrian warrian is offline
Senior Member
 
warrian's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
American Midwest
1542
322
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The boyfriend (Logan Marshall-Green) was in Devil, Brooklyn's Finest, and Across the Universe, but these were all supporting roles. The biologist (Rafe Spall) was in Life of Pi, Shaun of the Dead, and A Good Year. The geologist (Sean Harris) was in Harry Brown and has a role in Mission: Impossible 5.
Thanks HD Goofnut. Sean Harris is also on Showtime's "The Borgias" and he is brilliant on it. Given that he might actually be the most annoying person in Prometheus, I find this worth pointing out as well
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #6355
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 UV-------->303
42
1762
134
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
Thanks HD Goofnut. Sean Harris is also on Showtime's "The Borgias" and he is brilliant on it. Given that he might actually be the most annoying person in Prometheus, I find this worth pointing out as well
No problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #6356
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Senior Member
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
Default

What do y'all think is the likelihood of a sequel at this point?

...better than 50/50?

...any status updates?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:42 AM   #6357
SethRex SethRex is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
SethRex's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
34
263
6
69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
What do y'all think is the likelihood of a sequel at this point?

...better than 50/50?

...any status updates?
Probably better than 50/50. The question is probably more of when than if.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:20 AM   #6358
Cook Cook is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Nov 2009
163
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
What do y'all think is the likelihood of a sequel at this point?

...better than 50/50?

...any status updates?
Scott said recently that its on track and it did have a release date of March 4, 2016, but the studio has said they are willing to change that to accomodate Scott since he has other projects he's working on also.

Quote:
In an interview with Yahoo! Movies UK, Scott shares information about the development of "Prometheus 2" and its changed release date. Scott shares, "Right now, as we speak, it's being written. I've had 15 drafts evolving. I definitely want to do that ['Prometheus 2'] again because I really enjoyed doing 'Prometheus'".



Scott also shares details and updates upon the "Prometheus 2" release date, including a sequel without the Xenomorphs. In the same interview, he shares: "The beast is done. Cooked. They didn't want to do it and I said, 'I want to do it, it's fantastic'. But after four ['Alien' movies], I think it wears out a little bit. There's only so much snarling you can do. I think you've got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we've found the next step."

With the Xenomorphs out of the picture, what do we have now that threatens Elizabeth Shaw's existence? Noomi Rapace talks to MTV about the possible villains upon the "Prometheus 2" release date saying, "God maybe? God or Devil, I don't know. I don't know where he's going to take us, but I can't wait to go there."

According to reports, "Prometheus 2" release date was initially set for March 4, 2016. However due to Scott's other projects, "Prometheus 2" release date might be moved but confirmations on this change have yet to be announced.

http://www.franchiseherald.com/artic...lease-date.htm
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:29 PM.