COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$13.18
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$18.98
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
George Gently, Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$23.19
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
El Mariachi / Desperado (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #1161
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'd rather hold on to my potatoes
Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #1162
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I'd rather hold on to my potatoes
dont do it bud
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/Destiny
Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #1163

May 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancorKeeper View Post
I was hoping for more story from the prequel than was shown. I couldn't figure out the creature's animalistic (kill or be killed) motivation in the film. I understood where it was coming from in the original, almost like hunted prey backed into a corner.

They had a chance to show the intelligent side of the creature. It's species created ships to traverse the stars and even created a make-shift craft out of random parts later on. IMHO it was in poor taste to have the alien be that way from the get-go.

To explain it's behavior, it would of been kind of neat if when aboard the craft, we somehow find out that the creature ended up being a sort of experiment that escaped only to assimilate the crew, but the ship crashed on earth.
Actually, in the original cut of the film, the spaceship is piloted by a species of alien explorers who accidently release the thing on the ship. They crash it on earth to try and destroy it

There is a Facebook page which the director contributes to where it's all explained. Very interesting read.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #1164

Sep 2011
UK

As much as I didn't hate the new film, I felt it tried to do a similar thing to the Director's Cut of Cinema Paradiso* and stitch together all the parts that you were not told but were happy to place together for yourself.

*I never thought I'd be making a comparison of those 2 films.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #1165

Jun 2014
Chicago IL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
Actually, in the original cut of the film, the spaceship is piloted by a species of alien explorers who accidently release the thing on the ship. They crash it on earth to try and destroy it

There is a Facebook page which the director contributes to where it's all explained. Very interesting read.
Wow, i'm going to check that out. Thanks!
Now that makes some sense.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #1166
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

The 2011 prequel pales in comparison to John Carpenter's The Thing, but its heart is in the right place. I like having it and I like revisiting the film, because it's a respectful homage in so many ways.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #1167
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->126 UV-------->249

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
The 2011 prequel pales in comparison to John Carpenter's The Thing, but its heart is in the right place. I like having it and I like revisiting the film, because it's a respectful homage in so many ways.
This.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #1168
Special Member

Sep 2012
Manchester, Uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
Totally agree. I think time will be kind to many of the more recent horror movies just in the way it was to those from the 80s,the pages of old fangos are full of bad reviews and readers letters hating films the vast majority of horror fans would call classics.
" Steve Gerrard Gerrard, he slipped on his ******* arse, he gave it to Demba Ba, Steve Gerrard Gerrard"

Manchester City -2014 Premier League Champions.
2014 League Cup Winners.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #1169

Jun 2014
Chicago IL.

Shouldn't there be a "Thing" corpse at the hellicopter crash site in the prequel?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #1170
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

We don't wanna confuse why the 80's Thing is so great.

Carpenter took a year to do it; that's long. That shows in its pacing via an especially well-written script which used complex and advanced psychology to communicate hidden narratives.

Things to take note of in Carpenter's version:
Who took the keys?
Was Child's infected?
Chess match parallel.
Notice the subtle use of clothes to determine who's infected.
The list goes on.
See? It's MORE than just an ABC horror movie.

These things are what make a standard horror movie stand out and stand the test of time.

Guarenteed the 2011 prequel isnt talked about in thirty years. Its a by-the-numbers good horror flick.

But the 1982 version was talked about thirty years later and will continue to be talked about thirty years from now.

Last edited by eiknarf; 08-09-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #1171
Expert Member

Feb 2014

eiknarf, I agree with all of this. But, it doesn't change the fact that now, after seeing the 2011 prequel, I can't watch '82 film without seeing the prequel first. As I said in my last post, IMHO they fit together so perfectly it's uncanny, despite the fact that they were made almost 30 years apart. The 2011 film basically fills in the gaps/questions that were raised in the '82 film.

To make an analogy, I also consider the following sets of films to be one long movie; these also go together extremely well:

Planet of the Apes (1968) and Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970); there are even scenes from the first film in the beginning of the second....

Halloween (1978) & Halloween II (1981); Ditto....

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-09-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Thanks given by:
eiknarf (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #1172
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Most of the Norwegian cast whist underused are believable enough that they fit in the 1982 time frame and setting, but Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Eric Christian Olsen just don't fit. They don't look the part nor act the part.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #1173
Power Member

Jan 2014

You guys are making me want to finally see the 2011 film.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #1174
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
We don't wanna confuse why the 80's Thing is so great.

Carpenter took a year to do it; that's long. That shows in its pacing via an especially well-written script which used complex and advanced psychology to communicate hidden narratives.

Things to take note of in Carpenter's version:
Who took the keys?
Was Child's infected?
Chess match parallel.
Notice the subtle use of clothes to determine who's infected.
The list goes on.
See? It's MORE than just an ABC horror movie.
I'm sure it's already linked somewhere in this thread, but here is a great video exploration of the bolded question:

DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Thanks given by:
eiknarf (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 AM   #1175

Jun 2010
Scotland

I'd love a director's cut of this, which apparently had a slower pace originally, allowing for more character development. Also removing the added CG and including the original ending would be great. Unfortunately, I expect this will NEVER happen due to the money it made, but if you'd have told me in the mid 90's there'd be an Alien 3 Workprint Cut made with new effects etc, I'd have never believed ya!

I really like The Thing 2011 anyway, but I bet the original cut was quite a bit better and closer pacing wise to the original.

Last edited by Indiana Jonezzz...; 08-09-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #1176
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Sydney Australia

Remakes or prequels tend to make people re-watch the original movies and recall what they missed/forgot.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #1177
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropsy View Post
I think time will be kind to many of the more recent horror movies just in the way it was to those from the 80s,the pages of old fangos are full of bad reviews and readers letters hating films the vast majority of horror fans would call classics.
Absolutely. Maybe age and nostalgia plays a part? You see the same phenomenon if you go to a place like the Classic Horror Film Board, where some of the "monster kids", who grew up watching the Universal horror movies on TV in the 1950-1960's, hate on everything that has been produced after.

It will be interesting to see which horror movies of the 00's will stand the test of time.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #1178
Power Member

Feb 2011
USA

I guess I'm an exception, I love the 1951 version, 1982 version and I enjoyed the prequel and I saw the 1982 version in the theatre. If it's good, I don't care what year it was made.
The Ghostbusters earned their Stripes and to relax decided to go play golf, but got locked in the Caddyshack by the Gopher with The Blues Brothers who are hiding from a Dragnet but luckily they all escaped to The Great Outdoors, where they met a ranger who turned out to be The Man Who Knew Too Little because everything he said was Lost In Translation.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #1179
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I like the 1951 movie too, it's an old-fashioned monster flick and a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
You guys are making me want to finally see the 2011 film.
Give it a try. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #1180
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
I'm sure it's already linked somewhere in this thread, but here is a great video exploration of the bolded question:

THE THING film analysis (update) "Was Childs infected?" part 1/2 - YouTube

THE THING film analysis (update) "Was Childs infected?" part 2/2 - YouTube
Yup.
Those are Rob Ager's video's.

He also has the best premise for how a sequel or prequel should have been... "Should have" meaning keeping that secluded, claustrophobic feeling which was more apparent in Carpenter's film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America