Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.27
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Return of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Labyrinth (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Spectre (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Marvel Animated Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Snicket Snicket is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Snicket's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
401
1
22
Default

If you want gritty and raw I highly recommend "Wendy and Lucy". Such a poignant snapshot of desperation and the recession. It was even shot on 16mm to really capture the mood. Michelle Williams also gives a fantastic performance.

Only unfortunate thing is that it is not currently available on Blu-ray.

But it's still excellent.
Waiting for the all female blu-ray.com reboot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #22
kashif kashif is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kashif's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Dubai
159
11
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannostrom View Post
You should check out some films by Larry Clark.
Thanks will check them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
If you want gritty and raw I highly recommend "Wendy and Lucy". Such a poignant snapshot of desperation and the recession. It was even shot on 16mm to really capture the mood. Michelle Williams also gives a fantastic performance.

Only unfortunate thing is that it is not currently available on Blu-ray.

But it's still excellent.
Thanks but I neeed the ones which are on blu but will check it out.
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Giuseppe Sulfaro near the end credits - (Malèna)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
kashif kashif is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kashif's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Dubai
159
11
2
Default

@Svet

Watched Las Acacias tonight with my wife and we both moved by it. Such a beautiful film. My wife cried at the end because of the scene
[Show spoiler]when Ruben gave that cup for the baby.


Its been a long long time since I saw such a beautiful film and specially such great acting. Even without words you can tell what the characters are thinking. looking forward to see more work of this director. Awesome directing.
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Giuseppe Sulfaro near the end credits - (Malèna)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
retablo retablo is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
Hollywood
1307
1
Default

Definitely the Cassavetes... and Battle of Algiers... Early Von Trier, like Breaking the Waves...

Also, try the movement knows as Italian Neo-Realism. Can't get must more "real" than using non actors in real settings, like Bicycle Thieves.

Or try documentaries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
Hawkguy Hawkguy is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
@Svet

Watched Las Acacias tonight with my wife and we both moved by it. Such a beautiful film. My wife cried at the end because of the scene
[Show spoiler]when Ruben gave that cup for the baby.


Its been a long long time since I saw such a beautiful film and specially such great acting. Even without words you can tell what the characters are thinking. looking forward to see more work of this director. Awesome directing.
I will admit that I nearly cried too The emotions there at the very end of the film are something that EVERYONE has felt at some point, and it was handled so realistically, I was very impressed...loved that film as well .
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #26
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
1525
238
239
1
Default

Add my name to the fan list for The Battle of Algiers. I bought it on DVD several years ago and it's high on my list for an eventual upgrade.

I am fairly new to the Blu-ray world, but I have noticed that the format lends a "realism" factor even to familiar films. The campfire scene in Stand By Me, with the characters talking about Goofy, looks as though it is taking place in my living room. In my collection, the obvious "realism" candidates go to 12 Angry Men, The Lives of Others, and Michael Mann's Heat.

Here's an unlikely recommendation for "realism" when it comes to outdoor survival:



Letter Never Sent brings the threats of the wilderness to life in a way that very few other movies do. You'll never watch fire scenes the same way in other movies, that's for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #27
timcat4843 timcat4843 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
timcat4843's Avatar
 
May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
365
5
Default

Battle: Los Angeles
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floor Standing Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #28
OneWayFilms OneWayFilms is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
OneWayFilms's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Mississippi
565
317
109
4
Default

I thought HAIRSPRAY looked INCREDIBLY realistic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #29
ZooTv ZooTv is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ZooTv's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
In the back, off the side, far away
278
105
8
38
Default

Collateral
Miami Vice
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #30
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
58
1268
122
416
133
34
Default

First one that always comes to mind for me is Saving Private Ryan. Especially the shots from a character's point of view.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #31
Visco. Visco. is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Visco.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2012
Columbus, Ohio
510
4
33
Default

Children of Men

There is one scene in this movie that is SO perfectly choreographed that you actually feel like you're sitting next to the main characters.

It really makes you feel like you're living inside the film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #32
pro-bassoonist pro-bassoonist is offline
Blu-ray reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
X
47
-
-
17
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
@Svet

Watched Las Acacias tonight with my wife and we both moved by it. Such a beautiful film. My wife cried at the end because of the scene
[Show spoiler]when Ruben gave that cup for the baby.


Its been a long long time since I saw such a beautiful film and specially such great acting. Even without words you can tell what the characters are thinking. looking forward to see more work of this director. Awesome directing.
It is great to hear that you both enjoyed the film, Kashif.

The Camera d'Or Award is indeed well deserved.

Pro-B
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #33
I KEEL YOU I KEEL YOU is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
I KEEL YOU's Avatar
 
May 2011
303
41
Default

Good list, pro-bassoonist.

Here are some movies that I own and that I feel are shot in a very realistic way, most of them like a documentary:


"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #34
kashif kashif is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kashif's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Dubai
159
11
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Definitely the Cassavetes... and Battle of Algiers... Early Von Trier, like Breaking the Waves...

Also, try the movement knows as Italian Neo-Realism. Can't get must more "real" than using non actors in real settings, like Bicycle Thieves.

Or try documentaries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James78 View Post
I second Pro-B's recommendation of "Kes". There is a brilliant DVD collection of Ken Loach's work at the BBC:

http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Ken-Loach...BBC-DVD/43877/
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
Add my name to the fan list for The Battle of Algiers. I bought it on DVD several years ago and it's high on my list for an eventual upgrade.

I am fairly new to the Blu-ray world, but I have noticed that the format lends a "realism" factor even to familiar films. The campfire scene in Stand By Me, with the characters talking about Goofy, looks as though it is taking place in my living room. In my collection, the obvious "realism" candidates go to 12 Angry Men, The Lives of Others, and Michael Mann's Heat.

Here's an unlikely recommendation for "realism" when it comes to outdoor survival:



Letter Never Sent brings the threats of the wilderness to life in a way that very few other movies do. You'll never watch fire scenes the same way in other movies, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
Battle: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTv View Post
Collateral
Miami Vice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
First one that always comes to mind for me is Saving Private Ryan. Especially the shots from a character's point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco. View Post
Children of Men

There is one scene in this movie that is SO perfectly choreographed that you actually feel like you're sitting next to the main characters.

It really makes you feel like you're living inside the film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Good list, pro-bassoonist.

Here are some movies that I own and that I feel are shot in a very realistic way, most of them like a documentary:


Thanks a lot guys
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Giuseppe Sulfaro near the end credits - (Malèna)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #35
Gremal Gremal is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Gremal's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
Daddyland
49
170
Default

No Country for Old Men
The Prestige
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #36
kashif kashif is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kashif's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Dubai
159
11
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
I will admit that I nearly cried too The emotions there at the very end of the film are something that EVERYONE has felt at some point, and it was handled so realistically, I was very impressed...loved that film as well .
Very true and its such great acting and great direction. I can read each and every thought of both characters. Just brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
It is great to hear that you both enjoyed the film, Kashif.

The Camera d'Or Award is indeed well deserved.

Pro-B
Thanks. Yes the award was well deserved and I really very badly want to see the making of this movie. Too bad that the bd has no extras. This movie looks very simple when we see it but its not an easy one to shoot. Is it possible to see behind the scenes anywhere? I searched myself but no luck!
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Giuseppe Sulfaro near the end credits - (Malèna)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #37
metaridley metaridley is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2012
Default

Showgirls
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #38
brian9229 brian9229 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
brian9229's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Burlington, Vermont / Steelbook™ - 230
33
815
62
8
57
Default

Goodfellas for me.
BLUFANS V.I.P.

Steelbooks For Sale
RIP Glenn Frey, thank you for the incredible music!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 PM.