COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$31.26
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Herzog: The Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Protector 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #181
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Another winner by WB. Excellent transfer. Kind of wish it had more supplements but for 15.00 I'm not complaining.
Samsung 60" Plasma 530 Series
Onkyo HT-R580 7.1 AV Receiver
Polk TSx150C Center Channel SPKR & Polk TSx220B R/L Bookshelf SPKRS
Onkyo SKF-580 Surr SPKRS
Onkyo SKW-580 Subwoofer
Region Free Baby
Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #182
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post
Another winner by WB. Excellent transfer. Kind of wish it had more supplements but for 15.00 I'm not complaining.
2nd that, this is a very nice looking transfer. It's classic B&W films like this that deserve the hi-def treatment on blu-ray.

Perfect film for the Halloween season.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time"
- Tom Waits
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #183
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty70 View Post
2nd that, this is a very nice looking transfer. It's classic B&W films like this that deserve the hi-def treatment on blu-ray.

Perfect film for the Halloween season.
I just watched The Haunting today. It's one of my all-time favorite horror films and it makes a great triple-feature with The Innocents and The Conjuring.

The Blu-Ray PQ is outstanding and the sound is just as unsettling as ever. The whole film gives me chills, especially the last 15 minutes. It's just a brilliant film all around with beautiful cinematography and excellent imagery.

5/5, Not just a fantastic horror film but a great film in general.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Jurassic Park 2. Psycho (1960) 3. The Godfather Part II 4. There Will Be Blood 5. The Godfather 6. Zodiac 7. Thief 8. Blade Runner 9. Halloween (1978) 10. Drive 11. The Tree Of Life 12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 13. Her 14. Bambi 15. Mean Streets 16. Casablanca 17. Pan's Labyrinth 18. On The Waterfront 19. Paris, Texas 20. The Usual Suspects
Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #184

Jul 2012
Uppsala, Sweden.

Just got this, checked through the first 20 minutes of it. The transfer is very nice, natural-looking and I imagine that the sound is way better than what was on the DVD. But on my copy, something is off with the subtitles. When I select English (or any other language) the subtitles are positioned so low on the screen so that they are outside of the screen area, rendering them illegible. Does anyone else have this problem? Could this be an authoring error?
Equipment: Panasonic Plasma 55" TX-P55VT30Y, Dark room + THX setting, OPPO BDP-93EU Multiregion, Creative 2.1 Speakers. 700 Bluray Discs. 100 DVDs left, mostly TV series.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #185
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantz View Post
Just got this, checked through the first 20 minutes of it. The transfer is very nice, natural-looking and I imagine that the sound is way better than what was on the DVD. But on my copy, something is off with the subtitles. When I select English (or any other language) the subtitles are positioned so low on the screen so that they are outside of the screen area, rendering them illegible. Does anyone else have this problem? Could this be an authoring error?
Have you got overscan on maybe?
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #186

Jul 2012
Uppsala, Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Have you got overscan on maybe?
No overscan. But I managed to solve it by adjusting subtitle shift on my Oppo. So now all looks alright. Funny, never had that problem before with other titles.
Equipment: Panasonic Plasma 55" TX-P55VT30Y, Dark room + THX setting, OPPO BDP-93EU Multiregion, Creative 2.1 Speakers. 700 Bluray Discs. 100 DVDs left, mostly TV series.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #187
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantz View Post
No overscan. But I managed to solve it by adjusting subtitle shift on my Oppo. So now all looks alright. Funny, never had that problem before with other titles.
Glad you were able to get it fixed. I was about to suggest that since my Oppo BDP-103 had the same issue with a couple of other discs. Not sure why they put that setting on automatically, but that's another story.
Last Watched: Alanis Morissette: Live at Montreux 2012
Last Bought: Ginger Snaps | Night of the Comet
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #188

Jul 2012
Uppsala, Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Glad you were able to get it fixed. I was about to suggest that since my Oppo BDP-103 had the same issue with a couple of other discs. Not sure why they put that setting on automatically, but that's another story.
OK, thanks. Watched 'Goldfinger' straight afterwards and the English subtitles were perfectly positioned without me having to adjust them. Can't figure why I needed to do it on 'The Haunting'.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #189
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I chose Robert Wise's 1963 masterpiece, The Haunting, as my Halloween night horror movie viewing, and enjoyed the experience of seeing this film on Blu-ray for the first time after watching my DVD copy for many years. I quickly realized that the picture quality improvement of this Warner Bros. Blu-ray over that of the previous DVD incarnation is remarkable. The unsettling corners and shadowy spaces of Hill House seemed to seep out of the screen into my own home while watching the Blu-ray with the lights out, and the detail of the transfer brings out the best in this story where the eerily-designed house is a character all its own. The audio transfer pulls its weight well enough in this film where sound effects are an integral part of the end result, and I am also pleased that I had no trouble hearing the dialogue of the characters.

The best haunted house stories are the ones that familiarize us with memorable characters enough for us to understand and empathize with their responses to an unsettling location. The effect of the setting on the narcissistic Eleanor in Shirley Jackson's source novel, The Haunting of Hill House, provided a framework that Stephen King would later use for his descriptions of the writer Ben Mears and his response to the Marsten House in Salem's Lot, and for the terrifying outcome when alcoholic writer Jack Torrence set foot in the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. This movie adaptation makes a number of cosmetic changes and subtle character alterations to Shirley Jackson's novel, but still manages to capture the unnerving spirit of her story with impressive precision.

The Haunting, in this Blu-ray release, is a thing of disturbing beauty that will imbed countless agitating images into the psyche of the viewer. I, for one, cannot look at spiral staircases the same way after experiencing the movie. A commentary track with spliced input from Robert Wise and other key players is good listening for those interested in some fun anecdotes about the filming of this story, but the main draw is the movie itself, a brilliantly low-key character study where a lost soul finds her destiny in the vast space of hallways and elaborately-decorated rooms where sounds of unknown origin reverberate in the suffocating darkness of night.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #190
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Amazon.ca finally got this in stock...

And they've had my pre-order lasted as "Shipping Soon" for FOUR DAYS now.

Thank goodness I just received the Vincent Price collection yesterday. I've got enough viewing to tide me over until amazon.ca get's their act together.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #191

Oct 2007

Hadn't seen this before. Thought it was really good. I'm a sucker for quality old B&W material.
[Show spoiler]Don't know where people get the idea it was all in her head. Clearly wasn't!
Looking forward to revisiting it already. It's getting difficult coming across the old good stuff that slipped through the cracks. Yeah great film 5 stars.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #192
Power Member

Aug 2010

If you like The Haunting, check out The Innocents. It's available in a region free blu from Germany.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #193

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDawn View Post
I just watched The Haunting today. It's one of my all-time favorite horror films and it makes a great triple-feature with The Innocents and The Conjuring.

The Blu-Ray PQ is outstanding and the sound is just as unsettling as ever. The whole film gives me chills, especially the last 15 minutes. It's just a brilliant film all around with beautiful cinematography and excellent imagery.

5/5, Not just a fantastic horror film but a great film in general.
I'm glad to hear the sound is well done on the release, since I was concerned about it after viewing the DVD years ago. The volume on the DVD was dreadfully low and hard to hear, and really ruined the atmosphere of the film, that I only watched the DVD once.
The Placebo Smoking Werewolf(2014) A new short film I helped a friend make.

http://youtu.be/IUA81rAh0eM
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America