Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Miracle Mile (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Burnt Offerings (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Cherry 2000 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Oblong Box (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Orphan Black: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Prime Cut (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Truck Turner (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nightcrawler (Blu-ray)
$8.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-20-2015, 04:03 AM   #581
Special Member

Jun 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankyouforthevenom View Post
Are there any other Jack gems out there i may not have seen?
The Last Detail.
Movies!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #582
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Plus Jack Nicholson is good in everything i've ever seen him in. Can't recall ever seeing a movie he's done that i don't like. For some bizarre reason i've somehow never managed to see The Shining, just one of those incredibly famous movies that always seems to escape my radar!
THE SHINING is the Jack Nicholson movie by which all other Jack Nicholson movies are measured and come up wanting.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #583
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
THE SHINING is the Jack Nicholson movie by which all other Jack Nicholson movies are measured and come up wanting.
Chinatown disagrees.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac |

2015 list
Thanks given by:
hammer99 (07-23-2015), itsaboutHD (07-23-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #584
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Chinatown disagrees.
CHINATOWN can disagree all it wants, but all the chicks are jostling on the dance floor for a chance to waltz with THE SHINING while CHINATOWN's standing solo over by the punch bowl.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #585
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
Shrewsbury, MA

Five Easy Pieces is one of my favorite Jack Nicholson films.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #586
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is his best performance in my opinion ..The Shining would be second for me, but it is my favorite of the roles he's done.
Thanks given by:
itsaboutHD (07-23-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #587
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008

Quote:
CHINATOWN can disagree all it wants, but all the chicks are jostling on the dance floor for a chance to waltz with THE SHINING while CHINATOWN's standing solo over by the punch bowl.
Chinatown can't dance with anybody but its sister, I mean daughter, I mean sister, I mean sister and daughter.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac |

2015 list
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (07-21-2015), BillieCassin (07-23-2015), Darth Marcus (07-23-2015), Filmmaker (07-21-2015), hammer99 (07-23-2015), itsaboutHD (07-23-2015), octagon (07-21-2015), oildude (07-23-2015), Ray_Rogers (07-23-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #588
Expert Member

Mar 2009
Earth

Quote:
Ah, no....Chinatown, Cuckoo's Nest, As Good As it Gets, Five Easy Pieces, About Schmidt, Terms of Endearment, The Last Detail, Batman are better performances.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #589
Expert Member

Mar 2009
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Chinatown can't dance with anybody but its sister, I mean daughter, I mean sister, I mean sister and daughter.
Good one!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #590

Jul 2014

I'm kinda partial to The Little Shop of Horrors myself
Thanks given by:
octagon (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #591
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
Ah, no....Chinatown, Cuckoo's Nest, As Good As it Gets, Five Easy Pieces, About Schmidt, Terms of Endearment, The Last Detail, Batman are better performances.
Aw, Lordy. Lordy, Lordy, Lordy.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #592
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011

Quote:
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #593
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by acantho View Post
I'm kinda partial to The Little Shop of Horrors myself
It's times like this I wish I could use a whole day's allotment of thanks on one post.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #594
Power Member

Oct 2009
Nashville, Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
Greatest GIF Ever !!!!!!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #595

Jul 2014
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post
The Last Detail.
Never even heard of that one! *quickly scampers off to google it*

Just bought the cheapo version of As Good As It Gets. Italian version it says, but curiously i bought it on the French Amazon, along with the (apparently French?? in the photo the writing on the front is english) 2001 a space odyssey steelbook. Only about £20 for both combined. I hope i didn't mess up because i haven't really researched either of them too well.

EDIT: Oh and i bought the US blu ray of About Schmidt too. Buttons really. I don't have the movie on dvd anyway, so i can't go wrong for a fiver can i?? Famous last words...

DOUBLE EDIT: I watched The Bucket List again last night and checked out the extras this time, nice little interview with Jack. I could listen to him waffling on for hours! Just one of those charismatic people. Does anybody know if there's any documentaries about him, or long interviews with him, maybe hiding on a blu ray or dvd somewhere in the universe?

Last edited by thankyouforthevenom; 07-23-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:07 AM   #596

Jan 2012

Quote:
Agreed. But I've always found The Shining terribly overrated by film critics and even moreso by film students.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #597
Special Member

Jun 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorntreect View Post
Agreed. But I've always found The Shining terribly overrated by film critics and even moreso by film students.
The Shining was actually not at all embraced by film critics when it was first released, it was mostly panned. It was the only one of Kubrick's "big" films ever to get 100% snubbed by the Oscars and get no nominations. To give you an idea of how it was viewed back then it was actually nominated for a Razzie award that year for worst director, the very first Razzie award year ever, luckily he lost to the dude who directed Xanadu. It was only until many years later when it gained a huge cult following, the positive reviews you see for the film, like on Rotten Tomatoes for example, are from "modern" film critics and don't reflect its reception upon release. Just one of those weird things... like Blade Runner. I for one love the movie though, one of my top 10 for sure.

Quote:
Never even heard of that one! *quickly scampers off to google it*
I friggin' love it. It's kind of 40% drama 60% comedy, lighthearted but definitely has its serious moments. In my opinion it's one of Nicholson's best performances. Doesn't have a BD release as far as I know. Amazon Instant sells it for about 15 bucks and it's tagged as HD but it definitely isn't, it looks identical to the DVD (which doesn't look all the great to begin with) to me. Its PQ doesn't detract from it though, and it's still 100% worth watching in its current state and is, in my opinion, a hidden classic. There are no bad performances in the movie, Otis Young is fantastic too and so is [a wicked young] Randy Quaid.
[Show spoiler]I am the mother****ing shore patrol, mother****er!
Movies!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #598

Jul 2014
England

Why is nothing ever on streaming services i pay for??

Well, i say nothing...Sky movies has Chinatown, Five Easy Pieces, plus something called Heartburn (???) and Witches of Eastwick (i'm sure i've seen that, but can't recall anything about it). No Last Detail though.

On the comments here, i've now bought Little Shop of Horrors on blu ray. Hasn't turned up yet. No idea if i've seen it or not. I have the 80s one, but i can't recall an earlier version. I may have seen it as a kid though and forgot about it. I should like it, always had a soft spot for low budget stuff.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America