Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Miracle Mile (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Burnt Offerings (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Cherry 2000 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Oblong Box (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Orphan Black: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Prime Cut (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Truck Turner (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nightcrawler (Blu-ray)
$8.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 07-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #2161

Sep 2012
Canada

Pre-orders are live folks. It's $250 for the set.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #2162

Aug 2014
Western U-S-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
Pre-orders are live folks. It's $250 for the set.
Wow. I'll just stick with my $9 DMC ghibli pickups.
Movies needed to complete my Studio Ghibli collection:

Only Yesterday
Ocean Waves
My Neighbors the Yamadas
When Marnie Was There
Old 07-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #2163

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
The person who created the English logo stated on Twitter the film was sublicensed from Discotek.

https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/626842038550589440
https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/626842388636381184
https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/626842813401935872

However, it's not likely to have all the features of the Discotek release, but Discotek doesn't know what Disney will use.

https://twitter.com/lupinthe3rdcom/s...31110773669888

Also, it may come with the Streamline dub.

https://twitter.com/michaeltoole/sta...40018938675200
Aha, that makes more sense. Thanks for looking that up!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 PM   #2164
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by javac View Post
The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki (Amazon Exclusive)
Release Date: November 17th
Contains: Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kikiís Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howlís Moving Castle, Ponyo, The Wind Rises, Yuki no Taiyo (Yukiís Sun) and The Great Dichotomy: Looking at the Works of Hayao Miyazaki by Tomohiro Machiyama.
Buy: Amazon.com
Thank you for posting this! Preordered immediately!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #2165
Special Member

Nov 2009
KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by javac View Post
The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki (Amazon Exclusive)
Release Date: November 17th
Contains: Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kikiís Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howlís Moving Castle, Ponyo, The Wind Rises, Yuki no Taiyo (Yukiís Sun) and The Great Dichotomy: Looking at the Works of Hayao Miyazaki by Tomohiro Machiyama.
Buy: Amazon.com
what do we not have on BD here that seems to be only included on this set? or do we have everything in individual releases?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:37 AM   #2166

Apr 2015
America, Land of 'Eco'-packaging BS
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Nah, I'm just not at all interested in interviews and "making of" or "how this was done" videos, or any of that stuff. And, I especially would never be interested in any extras on US anime releases that cover anything related to Dubs or Localization - the two things I detest most about anime re-released outside of Japan.
I recently went and watched all the special features on my US Ghibli discs that I hadn't yet seen (except for Cagliostro which is full of overly long US release/dubbing-related interviews) and one surprisingly worthwhile extra that I thought would be dull was the hour-long making of the soundtrack/score for Tales of Earthsea, which is among my least favorite Ghibli films. It was interesting to see all the odd archaic instruments used, some of which were problematic for not having as wide a range as the composition required. Also the part with Spanish musician Carlos NķŮez who took time out to go to the studio and collaborated with the composer with some other options on bagpipe sounds and ocarina, etc. It really made me want to go back and listen to the music more closely.

If you skip the long documentary extra on The Wind Rises, where are you going to see Miyazaki making a giant pot of 10 packets of ramen noodles for his staff's late night snack? (aside from seeing the same clip on youtube)
favorites (yr): The Thin Man (34), My Man Godfrey (36), Make Way for Tomorrow (37), The Lady Eve (41), Children of Paradise (45), The Red Shoes (48), The Third Man (48), Tokyo Story (53), Seven Samurai (54), Rear Window (54), The Night of the Hunter (55), Vertigo (58), North by Northwest (59), Black Sunday (60), West Side Story (61), Bedazzled (67), Diabolik (68), Paris Texas (84), Dark City (98), In the Mood for Love (2000), Moulin Rouge! (2001), A Tale of Two Sisters (2003), Departures (2008)
Old 08-01-2015, 03:07 AM   #2167

Apr 2015
America, Land of 'Eco'-packaging BS
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhage01 View Post
Just watched Whisper of the Heart for the first time this past week, and followed it up with The Cat Returns over the weekend. I really enjoyed The Cat Returns, but I have to say that I was really blown away by Whisper of the Heart. I have just always heard so much talk about many of the other releases (and rightly so) but Whisper was one that I had probably heard the least about, so I never really made it a point to watch it. Wow, I should have made time to watch that film a long time ago! Such a beautiful and simple coming-of-age story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
I made this exact post (minus The Cat Returns portion) when I first viewed Whisper of the Heart a while back. For such a great Ghibli film it barely ever gets mentioned.
Whisper in the Heart is in my Ghibli top 6/all-time top 100. It's a remarkable film that needs a bigger audience. I saw it years ago off a friend's Japanese import laserdisc (no subtitles/raw Japanese) and was a big fan of it even before I saw a fansub of it. The director Yoshifumi Kondo was at one time allegedly supposed to become Miyazaki's successor when Hayao first hinted at his possible retirement back in the 90s. Sadly, Kondo died soon after that at too young an age and we lost any future films he might have made. The silver lining to that dark cloud is that Miyazaki stuck around and made a few more masterpieces. Kondo's death was allegedly illness connected to his overwork, so we should be glad that Miyazaki slowed down his output a bit or we might not have him still around either.
favorites (yr): The Thin Man (34), My Man Godfrey (36), Make Way for Tomorrow (37), The Lady Eve (41), Children of Paradise (45), The Red Shoes (48), The Third Man (48), Tokyo Story (53), Seven Samurai (54), Rear Window (54), The Night of the Hunter (55), Vertigo (58), North by Northwest (59), Black Sunday (60), West Side Story (61), Bedazzled (67), Diabolik (68), Paris Texas (84), Dark City (98), In the Mood for Love (2000), Moulin Rouge! (2001), A Tale of Two Sisters (2003), Departures (2008)
Thanks given by:
bkhage01 (08-01-2015)
Old Today, 02:38 AM   #2168

Aug 2013
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Disc OCD View Post
Whisper in the Heart is in my Ghibli top 6/all-time top 100. It's a remarkable film that needs a bigger audience. I saw it years ago off a friend's Japanese import laserdisc (no subtitles/raw Japanese) and was a big fan of it even before I saw a fansub of it. The director Yoshifumi Kondo was at one time allegedly supposed to become Miyazaki's successor when Hayao first hinted at his possible retirement back in the 90s. Sadly, Kondo died soon after that at too young an age and we lost any future films he might have made. The silver lining to that dark cloud is that Miyazaki stuck around and made a few more masterpieces. Kondo's death was allegedly illness connected to his overwork, so we should be glad that Miyazaki slowed down his output a bit or we might not have him still around either.
Whisper of the Heart was by far my favourite as a child, my father who also watched the films with me didn't quite get why I loved it- as a cynic even I question it a little. While I'm still really stressed out trying to pick where to source my Ghibli BDs from I wasted no time getting the local BD for Whisper of the Heart so I could have it there for me while I deliberated between the Silhouette Releases and the Miyazaki boxset encodes (speaking of, seems Amazon has stopped supplying it directly, and I doubt they'd go to the trouble of making new masters for all of them, tweaking a few of the films and re-transferring Nausicaa if they didn't intend on making it more available at least when technology to fully utilise the new encodes is more common. Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to get them re-released? I just really want to have each film individually and not in a collection but I also am a sucker for even a single extra mbps, plus I want to see how the Totoro encode holds up against the JP release)
The loss of Kondo was too early and far too tragic. I would have loved to see what else came from him.
Looking for/WTB - Melancholia Plain Archive Blu-Ray Limited Edition. Target price up to 1.5x original price, but can go higher- negotiable.
Add me on PSN! User: Sylontack (Just let me know who you are and we're good)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime