COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Hercules (Blu-ray)
$19.99
From The New World: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$43.08
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Complete Series 1-8 Collection (Blu-ray)
$152.01

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #1741
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

The "Mastered in 4K" release (quotes because both releases were mastered in 4K) is virtually identical, in terms of transfer. A higher bitrate allows a slightly tighter image, but nothing you're likely to notice in motion.

It also has none of the extras from the original Taxi Driver BD release.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #1742
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Though this is old news to most, I first saw the regular Blu (not 4K) of Taxi Driver late last year. Wow! The PQ is sharp, the colors are vivid, and the print still has an appropriate amount of grain. Truly Superb. This may be the best individual Blu release of a film I've ever seen..WHEN you take into account the vast improvement over previous releases. Kudos & Thanks to all involved in producing this.

Re: the film itself, this is definitely one of my all time favorite movies. Both disturbing & brilliant, which is something that is hard to achieve. IMHO it's DeNiro's best film, and also Scorsese's best as well. It truly captures a time & place perfectly; when watching this film you feel like you're right there in NYC back in the mid-'70's - this is also difficult to achieve, but is pulled off extremely well here.

I also like the strong film noir aspect - Travis' cruising down the NY City streets at night with the neon lights, shadowy figures, etc. is quintessential noir, and evokes a great mood/atmosphere. The sublime score by Bernard Hermann adds to this feeling as well; I liked the initially smooth jazzy quality to this, followed by those harsher, more foreboding sounds. Well done.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 04-04-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #1743
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
I also like the strong film noir aspect - Travis' cruising down the NY City streets at night with the neon lights, shadowy figures, etc. is quintessential noir, and evokes a great mood/atmosphere.
You should check out the Extras, where the writer (?name?) talks about his concept of Travis as
[Show spoiler]essentially being a corpse in a mobile metallic coffin, floating down the street

Old 04-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #1744
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I will not move everything aside to put Taxi Driver on any of my own Top 10 lists just yet, but I am hugely impressed by this movie, and I now understand why it has such a rabid fanbase. Robert De Niro's Travis Bickle takes the antihero description to a new level, and this character reverberates with all of us who have occasionally felt as though the world is a party and we are the only ones who did not get an invitation. Bickle wants to connect with other people, but his mannerisms and his outlook on life send messages that others around him are not receiving. Scorsese injects just the right amount of ambiguity into the proceedings so that we benefit from the implications of humanity, but also have no tangible reassurance that a lesser film would grant us for closure.

I am hard-pressed to imagine a film like Taxi Driver being released in present times, with test screenings, studio interventions, and such. I have always been amazed at the 1970s films that pushed the envelope of adventurous creativity at a time when filmmakers seemed to have no apparent regard for how well their movies would fare at the box office. Taxi Driver stands alongside films from that decade, like The Godfather, Deliverance, and Straw Dogs, that left a disturbed scar in the psyche at first, but also allowed the viewer to settle into the concepts for a long term appreciation of the cinema as art.

This Blu-ray looks amazing. The neon signs and streetlights just jump out of the screen, the reflections off the taxi cab paint stand out with stunning clarity, and everything about this presentation has real "oomph" behind it that makes it one of the best-looking high definition transfers that I've seen on my set.

Of course, I'm inclined to believe that I'd be writing the exact same above paragraph if I had just finished watching the earlier Blu-ray edition of Taxi Driver. In all likelihood, any real differences between this "Mastered in 4K" version and the earlier Blu-ray of this film are negligible at best on my own screen. All I know is that this "Mastered in 4K" version looks beautiful to my eyes, and that I am a satisfied customer.
Glad you got to see this film for the first time; my first time seeing TD was back in 2003, shortly after I got my first DVD player. Agree this is an amazing though disturbing film, and I also am sure something like this wouldn't be released in the 21st century. Overall, I actually find '70's drama & horror cinema much more disturbing & powerful than any films of the same genres that I've seen from other eras (including from this century).

Not sure there is much of a difference between the regular Blu and the Blu 4K, unless you have a 4K TV and/or a huge screen. I myself don't, but the regular Blu looks truly stunning anyway...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 04-04-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #1745
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Not sure there is much of a difference between the regular Blu and the Blu 4K, unless you have a 4K TV and/or a huge screen. I myself don't, but the regular Blu looks truly stunning anyway...
Just to be clear: both releases are "regular Blus" taken from the same 4K scan downsampled to 1080p. Its just the "Mastered in 4K" release has a slightly higher bit rate at the expense of special features which the orignal release had. Both are virtually the same in terms of quality.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #1746

Nov 2013
San Diego

extremely cool taxi driver trailer done in style of 'drive'

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #1747

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

That's pretty cool. There's someone who's actually been working on a fan edit of Taxi Driver to make it more like "Drive". Not just the trailer but the entire film. Needless to say if you like that synth music from "Drive", you're gonna get a lot more if it when this editor finishes "Taxi Drive" or w/e he decides to call it lol.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #1748

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbird91 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEdxe4v2RQ
That is great!
"She's my.......cousin. She's from....France".
Old 04-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #1749
Special Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

I just happened to watch his again for the first time since I got my new tv this past summer (samsung unf7100 55 inch) and what a beauty this blu ray is. Great movie too, never gets old. Top 5 all time for me.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #1750
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbird91 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEdxe4v2RQ
I thought that sounded like a terrible idea...until I watched it! Definitely works. It helps that I love both films of course.
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #1751

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Password to watch is "bickle". Skip the first 2:30 to get to the opening credits:

https://vimeo.com/88552476
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America