Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$149.61
Penny Dreadful: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.69
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Accountant (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
CHiPS (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$21.63
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old Today, 01:15 AM   #167361
Expert Member

Mar 2015
New Mexico, USA
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonx View Post
Greed 1924 in Blu-ray?
Yes, please! And if we could get the 4 hour "reconstructed" version (inserting still images from the set to represent missing scenes) with it, it would be even better.
Squirrel!
Old Today, 01:15 AM   #167362
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater dreamer View Post
Guys, let's all try to demonstrate respect for each other's opinions on film, ok? We all have different tastes, and what might be enthralling to one of us might bore another to tears. We can provide constructive input on the films being discussed without impugning another member's tastes. A film's "greatness" is completely subjective. If you like a movie, trying to convince another member of it's merits will always be appreciated.

Some people like Rembrandt. Others think Dogs Playing Poker is a hoot. There's room for everybody here without being dismissive. The more information we provide, the better equipped we all are to build the kind of collections we can enjoy.
Unless I missed something, it doesn't look like anybody's being disrespectful at all.
Old Today, 01:22 AM   #167363
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Well, Straight Time is definitely with CC. So is Welcome to Dollhouse.

Posted on Criterionforum.org.

Quote:
Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel for August:

August 1:

Straight Time, Ulu Grosbard, 1978
Welcome to the Dollhouse, Todd Solondz, 1995
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (Today), Gacivory (Today), spargs (Today)
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #167364
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post

Straight Time is an amazing film. So underrated but it's one of Hoffman's best.
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (Today)
Old Today, 01:56 AM   #167365

Apr 2016
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
Straight Time is an amazing film. So underrated but it's one of Hoffman's best.
Agree with all of this, also I could always use more M. Emmet Walsh in the collection!!!!!!
Old Today, 03:04 AM   #167366
Power Member

Jun 2013

as I was telling another poster the two titles I purchased so far were permanent staples of Hulu and now Filmstruck.

The title I almost purchased today is as well. And I literally only have room for a few more blu-rays so I passed since I know it will always be on filmstruck.

I know that may be blasphemous to say in this thread but it is what it is. How many times am I realistically going to watch Purple Noon again?

Just some thoughts
Old Today, 03:05 AM   #167367

Jul 2013
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post

I have been waiting patiently for Welcome to the Dollhouse on blu. Super excited it could come out from Criterion!!! This film is the one that got me interested in indie cinema as a thirteen year old. Well, also Slackers and a not as well known film called, Suburbia (1996). Anybody?
Old Today, 04:22 AM   #167368

Jul 2013
USA

What film was your gateway into the appreciation of cinema beyond blockbusters? Follow up question: what film opened you up to exploring the Criterion Collection?
Old Today, 04:30 AM   #167369
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivianewtonyawn View Post
What film was your gateway into the appreciation of cinema beyond blockbusters?
2001: A Space Odyssey, back when "blockbuster" didn't quite mean what it means today. It was the film that made me see that movies were capable of being art, and not just stories told in pictures and sound.

Quote:
Follow up question: what film opened you up to exploring the Criterion Collection?
I suppose it would have to be Blade Runner, as that was the first Criterion title (laserdisc) I ever bought.
Make America Groot Again.

"He sits there in his house watching the same stupid movie over and over again."
"Bad taste in films is not a criminal offense."
"Wait till you've seen it."

List of Twilight Time signed promotional titles.
List of Twilight Time Out of Print titles, with dates they went OOP
Old Today, 04:37 AM   #167370
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivianewtonyawn View Post
What film was your gateway into the appreciation of cinema beyond blockbusters? Follow up question: what film opened you up to exploring the Criterion Collection?
The first part's difficult to answer, because I was watching a lot of films that weren't blockbusters as a very young child. And I have a hard time remembering last week.

It was probably something I saw on "Bill Kennedy at the Movies" which used to show in the afternooons on channel 50 here in the Detroit area, as I grew up. The first two that I recall having a real impact on me were Casablanca and Rebecca. Now, obviously, those are mainstream films. But as a 7 year-old or whatever, they were not what I was used to seeing.

As for in the theater, I'm also not sure. And it depends on what we mean by "blockbuster." Were Alien, The Shining, or Excalibur blockbusters? They don't seem to have been at the time. I saw all of those between the ages of 10-12 in the theater. I remember vividly seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at an old rep theater that used to exist here (*sigh*). My friend and I were about 12 or 13, and that one sort of blew my mind. I was thinking about it for the rest of the school year.

I'm almost certain that the first Criterion Collection titles I purchased were either the "Wrong Men and Notorious Women" Hitchcock box-set, or the "Three Films by Ingmar Bergman" set. Both on DVD, obviously. But that was long enough that I can't remember which was first, or why I necessarily went for either of those in particular.
"First, a brief preface. Every time I review a film by Jean-Luc Godard, I receive outraged letters from readers who hated it. It is suggested that my reviews and myself join Godard on the trash heap of history; that the customers wuz robbed. A common complaint is that Godard 'made no sense.' And so on." -- Roger Ebert (1966)

“It would be boring if we all just made safe films.” — Nicolas Winding Refn, My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors