COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Weekend (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Thalía: Viva Tour (Blu-ray)
$13.48
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #1

Aug 2010
Default Panasonic VIERA TC-L55ET5

Best Buy has this set on sale for $899 on Black Friday does anyone have this TV or any thoughts about it? Is the 3D good on this set?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Special Member

Jul 2008

I have the 42ET5, so I assume they're quite similar. I'm not a 3D nut, so I hardly use it on my set, but what I have watched I was highly impressed with.

I don't use 3D nearly enough to consider the active vs. passive argument, passive works just fine for me, and to tell you the truth, I actually prefer it. I found that I got a headache even with brief viewing on my friend's active set, and I could constantly see the flicker in my eyes. No issues to report on my ET5.

The 2D to 3D conversion is fun to play with too, but it's really just a gimmick. The TV can't really accurately process correct depth, so things that should pop out actually appear to move inward and vice versa. It's fun to play around with on occasion, though.

One thing I can't say I love about it though is color accuracy. First of all, it doesn't have the normal LED "pop" that you'd expect. If you like a more lifelike picture, that, of course, is a good thing.

The problem I've found comes in skin tones. I've had my set since early August and I still find myself making minor adjustments at times. I nearly sent the set back, but ended up calling Panasonic and they told me to perform a hard reset on the TV. I followed their instructions and it certainly helped, but it is by no means perfect. Keep in mind I'm not an expert by any means, and few people that have seen it seem to notice the issue. I just find that skin often has an unnatural yellowed or almost greenish tone. Unfortunately, the U.S. version doesn't have access to advanced color controls like the UK version does, so short of tinkering in the service menu, you're out of luck on that front.

Blu-Ray looks absolutely fantastic on the set as well. It's amazing what a difference 120hz can actually make.

Last edited by BLeClair12; 11-14-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #3

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeClair12 View Post
I have the 42ET5, so I assume they're quite similar. I'm not a 3D nut, so I hardly use it on my set, but what I have watched I was highly impressed with.

I don't use 3D nearly enough to consider the active vs. passive argument, passive works just fine for me, and to tell you the truth, I actually prefer it. I found that I got a headache even with brief viewing on my friend's active set, and I could constantly see the flicker in my eyes. No issues to report on my ET5.

The 2D to 3D conversion is fun to play with too, but it's really just a gimmick. The TV can't really accurately process correct depth, so things that should pop out actually appear to move inward and vice versa. It's fun to play around with on occasion, though.

One thing I can't say I love about it though is color accuracy. First of all, it doesn't have the normal LED "pop" that you'd expect. If you like a more lifelike picture, that, of course, is a good thing.

The problem I've found comes in skin tones. I've had my set since early August and I still find myself making minor adjustments at times. I nearly sent the set back, but ended up calling Panasonic and they told me to perform a hard reset on the TV. I followed their instructions and it certainly helped, but it is by no means perfect. Keep in mind I'm not an expert by any means, and few people that have seen it seem to notice the issue. I just find that skin often has an unnatural yellowed or almost greenish tone. Unfortunately, the U.S. version doesn't have access to advanced color controls like the UK version does, so short of tinkering in the service menu, you're out of luck on that front.

Blu-Ray looks absolutely fantastic on the set as well. It's amazing what a difference 120hz can actually make.
Thanks for the response So would you recommend this TV to buy or should I continue to look around?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2008

I'm not familiar with many of the major TV deals for Black Friday outside of that 60" Vizio at Wal-Mart everyone is talking about, simply because I'm not in the market for a TV.

It seems like a pretty solid deal, though, so I wouldn't really have any qualms with recommending it. I got my 42" from an Amazon Gold Box Deal and paid $599, just for reference.

Looks like it's going for around $1300 on Amazon right now, so I'd say it's a good price.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Jul 2012
Cleveland
Default AWESOME T.V and a great price

I've had this set since May (got it for my birthday). I love it. I was concidering the LG but went with this because it has 1 more HDMI port and a memory card reader (I can pop my memory card out of my Panasonic HD camcorder and insert the card directly into the t.v). It's 120hz but also has 360hz Back Light Scanning so it handles motion pretty well. The picture also looks great (2D and 3D) from just about every angle.

I have my PS3 and Xbox 360 connected to it. Games (2D and 3D games) look amazing. There's even a GAME MODE but lately I stopped using it because games look better in standard mode (didn't notice any lag either). I also used the Disney WOW Blu-Ray to adjust the settings but might take advantage of the free professional calibration from Best Buy (now that I'm a Silver Member).

Yes, the 2D to 3D conversion is kinda cool but I don't use it that much.

Blu Ray's look awesome. I'm starting to build a decent collection of 3D movies as well. Some movies (Avengers and Lorax) look better on this set than they did in the theater. The T.V even has the RealD 3D logo on the bezel.

It has a web browser but I don't use it much. It has some cool apps like VUDU, YouTube, Netflix, Etc. There's even a new App that features a bunch of 3D videos (short films) and trailers. You can also watch 3D videos that are out on YouTube.

If you've been concidering a Passive set, this is a steal! I paid over $1000 for mine but it was well worth it.

If anyone has questions, let me know.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2008

^ I can certainly attest to some of the apps as well. The YouTube app is fantastic, actually. I was expecting basic functionality at best and figured I'd be better served still using my 360 for YouTube, but I think Panasonic's app actually is vastly superior, both in terms of speed, quality, and ease of use.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #7

Aug 2010

Thanks guys. How's the sound on this TV?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrajuice View Post
I find it to be pretty horrible. Exactly what you'd expect out of a thin LED. Some people say they've been able to get decent sound by playing around with the settings, but I've found nothing of the sort. As with any modern TV, I recommend some sort of external sound. I use a Sony HT-SS370 HTiB system. Unfortunately, it's a bit outdated and doesn't have 3D passthrough which creates some connection issues, but I've found suitable workarounds.

You'll definitely want a soundbar at the very least.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #9

Jul 2012
Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrajuice View Post
Yeah the sound is what you'd expect from a thin t.v. it's decent but most of the time I'm using my external speakers and amp. I'd still recommend this t.v. great picture and 3d looks amazing on it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays