Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #1

Jul 2007
South Africa
Default The X-Files on Blu-ray?

Hey all!

I'm new to this forum so go easy on me. I need some advice. I've owned a PS3 for a few months now. Like many of you I bought it for the Blu-Ray player mainly. (I only own 3 games)

My main reason for buying the PS3 was so that I could use it as my main home entertainment system. (Dvd's, blu-ray and games.)

But I own the entire series of the x-files (and the film) on region 1 DVD. (I'm in South Africa so I have a European PAL PS3.)

So now I have several options: I can either sell my entire collection and hope it comes to Blu-Ray soon, or I can wait for the PS3 to eventually become region free for DVD's,(which I doubt will happen) or I can buy a seperate Upconverting DVD player that plays all regions, (which defeats the purpose of using the PS3 for EVERYTHING.) Or I can sell my region 1 collection and rebuy everything on region2, which is the last and least favourite option.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: FOX! PLEASE RELEASE X-FILES ON BLU! The entire series and the movie! All in one splendid collector's box set! PLEASE!

But I guess that won't be happening soon.(IF ever.) When I bought the PS3 I was under the impression it was region free. Only when I inserted my first X-Files DVD did I see the very unwelcome message which said the disc has the incorrect region code. Then I found out the PS3 is only region free for games. What a let down!

What do you guys think I should do? Is anyone else in my position?

Old 07-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

Welcome to the forums!

PS3 does Upconvert DVDs now, as long as you run the latest updates on it.

No news on X-FILES in Blu yet, but I am not sure if the format is HD friendly or if it was made for SD only. I would keep the XFILES on DVD cause with the upconvert, it makes DVDs look awesome. As long as you are running your system with HDMI cables.

As for region free... don't worry too much about it. There are now only 3 regions for Blu-ray, and most Blu-ray discs are region free anyways. As for DVDs, you can get a cheap ($30) DVD player at Best Buy that is region free. (Cyber Home makes them).
I am not sure PS3 will ever become "region free" unless someone hacks it, but we'll see.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the forums.
I definitely think you should wait it out.
I am sure Fox will be looking at this one on Blu-ray once they start releasing again. I can only imagine getting to watch Season 5 in 1080p widescreen with lossless audio - wicked.
My favourite X File of all time is on Season 5 - the one with the telemarketing department and Mr. Pinkus. Scared the living shite out of me when I first watched it.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGreedle View Post
PS3 does Upconvert DVDs now, as long as you run the latest updates on it.
Unfortunately he has a PAL PS3 so it will not recognize the X Files DVD's that he has in order to upscale them.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Oh, I think I missed the part about Africa. That IS a different region, region 2, than USA, region 1.

What region is your PS3?

Well I know there are region free players, and AV recievers that can up-sample signals to 1080, but I am not sure if there are region free DVD players that up-sample their own signals.
You will have to do some searching, or hope someone on this forum knows better than I.
Good Luck.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #6

Jul 2007
South Africa

Yes, My PS3 is region 2 PAL, so it's a no go on the region 1 DVD's. I have the update that upscales the DVD's and now I only wanna see my collection on my PS3 even more! I'm also hoping FOX releases all 9 seasons on BLU. I believe the entire series was shot on film, even though the first 4 seasons are 4:3. But maybe that can be HD too? I'm just really wishing they all worked on my Ps3. I bought the series on region 1 from Amazon because it took so long to get to South Africa. It seems such a waste to buy a seperate player when the PS3 has a brilliant upconverter already. sigh

Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

It was all shot on 35mm so it can all be done as 1080p.

The first four seasons will still be 4:3 and seasons 5-9 will be 1.78:1

I think it will be worth the wait for what it's worth. They WILL come out.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)

Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #8

Jul 2007
South Africa

Yeah, I think that's good advise. I'll just wait for FOX to wake up in the middel of the night and say: "I know! X-Files on Blu-Ray!" I will definately be buying it if it comes to Blu-Ray. In the meantime I guess I'll just have to imagine the episodes in my head!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #9

Jul 2007
South Africa

I also heard somewhere that although the first 4 season were shot on film, the special effetcs were still done on video and in standard 480i. Don't know how big an impact this will have when trying to make everything HD.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #10

Jan 2007

It will be BIG. They have to find all the original film footage, rescan it in HD, re-edit it and re-do all the FX in HD. Will take years...
The masters now only exist in 480i SD video

Old 07-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Well they might announce these when the second movie comes out next summer (Yeah you heard me right! i said second!)
"Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!"
-Rick Sanchez
"You will not survive here. You are not a wolf, and this is a land of wolves now."
-Alejandro

Old 07-29-2007, 04:14 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
It will be BIG. They have to find all the original film footage, rescan it in HD, re-edit it and re-do all the FX in HD. Will take years...
The masters now only exist in 480i SD video
Whether or not they do that depends on whether they can strike a new syndication deal, maybe with HDNet or something. They're not going to HD them up just for BR

Old 07-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #13
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Recording live from somewhere

wow, never even thought about this! I love this show, started watching it on FX back in the day around midnight or so and got hooked. This would be a killer on BD for sure!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #14
Special Member

May 2007
CANADA
Cool

MMM MMM....Scully in bluvision
You're in my spot...

Old 07-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #15

Jul 2007
South Africa

So chances are if they DO release it, it will probably only be from the 5th season onwards. Unless they release the entire first 4 seasons on four BD discs in SD! A season per disc! Should still look better than standard DVD?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #16

Jul 2007
South Africa

Any thoughts on this?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #17

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
So chances are if they DO release it, it will probably only be from the 5th season onwards. Unless they release the entire first 4 seasons on four BD discs in SD! A season per disc! Should still look better than standard DVD?
i don't think it would be a disc per season i'd say more like 6-8 episodes to a disc so probably a 3-4 disc set for each season would be more likely.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
i don't think it would be a disc per season i'd say more like 6-8 episodes to a disc so probably a 3-4 disc set for each season would be more likely.
If they were to release them in HD (they're not going to just move the DVDs to Blu), expect a similar layout to the DVDs. They're not going to hyperstuff the discs. 4 eps per.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Was Xfiles made in HD? Can it be released in 1080?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

They went HD midway through season 5, when the DVDs go widescreen

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists