Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #2521

Sep 2011
Vienna, Austria

Do they still come with the slipcovers?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #2522
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

Ordered seasons one and two. I wanted three and four but also need to eat for the rest of the month. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #2523
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Ordered seasons one and two. I wanted three and four but also need to eat for the rest of the month. Decisions, decisions.
You can eat the slipcovers if you get hungry.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #2524
Expert Member

Dec 2012
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grief View Post
Do they still come with the slipcovers?
Yes they do.
Film is life.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #2525
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

My season one just arrived from amazon.com. without the slipcover. Booooooooo!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #2526

Oct 2007
Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Oy! The never ending slip cover drama. I'll never understand the amount of pride and worry people ascribe to such a worthless piece of paper.

Getting back on topic, all those just getting the set are in for a real treat. Four seasons in and I still catch myself watching with my mouth hanging open in disbelief at the gorgeous images. This restoration is like a re-birth of the series.
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Panasonic TC-PST60 50" (plasma)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #2527
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

I am not in love with slipcovers because the tend to mess up the case. With the movie set, I keep hooking one of the points of the arrowhead whenever I try slipping it back into the plastic case. they are nice but I can live without them.

In regards to a question asked before in this thread, the menu for season 1 is actually very different than the menues from season 2 on so don't worry if it doesn't match. I threw a season 1 disc in over the weekend and was actually surprised when I saw just how different the menus are.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #2528

Apr 2012

Quote:
Contact Amazon, they're usually really good about stuff like that. If you really want the slipcover.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #2529
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Currently $44.95 at amzn, which is close to the lowest price this season has ever been offered.

Pretty good price for 26 episodes. There are some duds here, no doubt about it, but there are some good episodes too. Several of these episodes set up things that have payoffs in the later seasons. For instance, the premiere, Encounter at Farpoint, is only so-so, because they didn't quite know that they were doing yet. But the last episode of the seventh season, All Good Things, which is one of the best episodes of the whole show, is a direct sequel to this one.

Here are some of the good episodes, at least in my opinion, in the first season....

Where No One Has Gone Before
The Battle
The Big Goodbye
Datalore
Too Short a Season
Home Soil
Coming of Age
Heart of Glory
The Arsenal of Freedom
Symbiosis
and
Conspiracy

So, even though it's arguably the weakest season, I think it's still worth picking up at this price....
Old 12-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #2530
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Wow. Now just $38.33 at amazon. Lowest price ever at less than a $1.50 an episode. I paid 59.99 less than two years ago, and that was worth it for me.

The first season is uneven, but there are some essential episodes that are not just good in and of themselves, but set up stuff later, such as: Data's brother Lore, the Romulans, the beginnings of Klingon stuff, Picard's past with the Stargazer, the Ferengi, etc.

Definitely worth picking up at this price imho.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #2531
Special Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

I'm going to try PM'ing this at Best Buy tomorrow. I'd like to get slipcovers for all of them if I can
AVR: Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 Receiver
Speakers: Pioneer BS-21 Bookshelves/C-21 Center 5.1 Setup
TV: LG PA5500 50" Plasma
Blu-ray: Playstation 3 Super-Slim 500 GB
Satellite: Dish VIP722
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598/Koss KSC75 modded
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 192 kHz/24-bit
Amp: Outlaw RR2150 Stereo
Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #2532
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

1. Encounter At Farpoint: C+
2. Naked Now: D
3. Code of Honor: D-
4. The Last Outpost: B-
5. Where No One Has Gone Before: B
6. Lonely Among Us: B
7. Justice: C-
8. The Battle: B+
9. Hide and Q: C
10. Haven: C-
11. The Big Goodbye: B+
12. Dalalore: B+
13. 11001001: B-
14. Angel One: C-
15. Too Short A Season: B
16. When the Bough Breaks: B
17. Home Soil: A-
18. Coming of Age: A-
19. Heart of Glory: B+
20. The Arsenal of Freedom: A-
21. Symbiosis: B
22. Skin of Evil: C-
23. We'll Always Have Paris: B-
24. Conspiracy: A-
25. The Neutral Zone: B

My ratings for this season. Going by a "seat of the pants" guesstimate, I thought it was about a C+ for the whole season. But putting the individual grades into an average I got a B-.

Here's the grade averaging program, in the unlikely event anyone else wants to average their grades and put them together for a season average.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/grade_point_average.htm

Last edited by benbess; 12-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #2533
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY
Default Datalore

Watched this one again a couple of days ago. Pretty good episode, with some ambitious concepts and fx. Nice subplot of Geordi's first command. Also marks the first appearance of Lore, with a nice performance by Spinder. Interesting photo of the 3 Data/Lore stunt doubles from the episode at memory alpha:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Data...C_Datalore.jpg

The director of this episode, Rob Bowman, has some interesting comments:

Director Rob Bowman recalls, "'Datalore' was supposed to be next with Joe Scanlan directing. Well, the script, or so I heard, was not in good shape and they got to a point in pre-production where they said they couldn't have the script ready in time. We were going to have to switch scripts. So, they switched 'The Big Goodbye' with 'Datalore', which I was then given. Boy, was I ready to do 'The Big Goodbye'. It was going to have a different look and texture, and was going to be a real different episode. But, it was very well done by Joe Scanlan, so the show didn't suffer. Anyway, I took on 'Datalore' and said, 'Here's a show they don't think will work, so I'm going to make it work. I'm going to prove to them that they made a mistake.' The episode was a learning experience, and there were lots of discussions with Rick Berman and Bob Justman. In a sense of working technique, there are many visual effects and split screens. It was a technically difficult show to do, and we had an extra day to shoot it because of that. I thought it came off excellently." ("Rob Bowman - Director of a Dozen", The Official Star Trek: The Next Generation Magazine Vol. 10, pp. 16-17)
Bowman also commented on Brent Spiner's performance in the double role, "His ability to delineate those brothers... I felt like I had the best seat in the house, saying "Action" and watching him do it. We were both really keen on making that a special show. We were like, "Fine, 'The Big Goodbye' is going to be a fun script, but we’re going to make this one even more popular if we can." I remember that, and I remember feeling really good during the shoot, and also giggling at Brent’s dexterity. He was just unbelievable." [2]

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Datalore_(episode)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #2534

Jun 2012

So are the replacement discs sent in with a case that indicates the fixed issues?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #2535
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicgeek View Post
So are the replacement discs sent in with a case that indicates the fixed issues?
Well, if you buy a set today it'll already have the fixed discs.

If you get replacements, they come in plain sleeves for you to put in your set. There are explanations on the web of the relatively small sound issues of the original discs, but you don't get anything like that with the new discs.

Anyone thinking of buying should just buy with confidence. All the sets out there now should be the completely fixed sets.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #2536

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake

I know when the fixed discs first started hitting shelves, the UPC was yellow as an indicator.....dont know if that is still the case but I would agree with benbess in that is highly unlikely that any of the original pressings are still floating around on shelves; have to been an extremely lazy retailer to let that happen.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #2537

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
There are explanations on the web of the relatively small sound issues of the original discs,
I'm not sure I'd call the sound issues relatively small. While several of the episodes had no issues, there were several that had some of the audio channels mapped incorrectly, which resulted in the left and/or right front channels of the 7.1 mix carrying either the same audio as the center channel or the same audio as the left and/or right channels respectively of the 2 channel mix.

CBS Digital took advantage of the need to fix that issue by also correcting some relatively small omissions in the visual effects that were made the first time around in 1 or 2 episodes as well.

I agree that anything purchased now should be the corrected version.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #2538
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
Currently $44.95 at amzn, which is close to the lowest price this season has ever been offered.

Pretty good price for 26 episodes. There are some duds here, no doubt about it, but there are some good episodes too. Several of these episodes set up things that have payoffs in the later seasons. For instance, the premiere, Encounter at Farpoint, is only so-so, because they didn't quite know that they were doing yet. But the last episode of the seventh season, All Good Things, which is one of the best episodes of the whole show, is a direct sequel to this one.

Here are some of the good episodes, at least in my opinion, in the first season....

Where No One Has Gone Before
The Battle
The Big Goodbye
Datalore
Too Short a Season
Home Soil
Coming of Age
Heart of Glory
The Arsenal of Freedom
Symbiosis
and
Conspiracy

So, even though it's arguably the weakest season, I think it's still worth picking up at this price....
And now even more worth picking up at its lowest price ever: $31.49!

They've now reduced the msrp from $129 to $76, which is something we'll eventually see with the others, I assume....

Last edited by benbess; 03-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #2539

Jan 2014

Wow, that's a super low price.

Not that I regret buying it way back on release, it sent a good message to CBS about the profitability of these sets.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #2540
Expert Member

Jan 2008
DigiBooks...........................22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Wow, that's a super low price.

Not that I regret buying it way back on release, it sent a good message to CBS about the profitability of these sets.
Very tempting, but I'm holding out for the complete set. Almost there.
65" Panasonic Viera, PS3 60GB
Yamaha RX-V1800
(2) Definitive Technology 1500W Supercube I
Definitive Technology Promonitor 800 Surround
Klipsch RF-62 Towers, Klipsch RC-52 Center
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America